Question for the left and right:

flaja

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 09:02 pm
What, in your view, would constitute victory in Iraq and how would you go about achieving it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,830 • Replies: 256
No top replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 05:13 pm
What is your point.
Iraq and victory??
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 07:10 pm
Victory is in the eyes of the beholder, I believe. The U.S. has already had victory, in my opinion. What exists now is Reconstruction. This could take a long time and require a military presence for that time period.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 09:53 pm
there is no victory. there was never victory or any chance of it.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:19 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

There is no Saddam Hussein running Iraq, due to the U.S. victory. That's a fact that will be in the history books.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:37 pm
where's the victory? A dictator has been replaced by total chaos... as many people dying horrifically as before and a country completely torn apart.

the country is no better off without hussein, in fact it is worse off on the whole.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:49 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
where's the victory? A dictator has been replaced by total chaos... as many people dying horrifically as before and a country completely torn apart.

the country is no better off without hussein, in fact it is worse off on the whole.

Thank you for your opinion. My opinion differs. That's how opinions work.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 12:14 am
Feoff
The difference is Bears opinion is based on fact while yours is based on hope and the belief that whatever the presidents ba sa machine puts out is true.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 06:54 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

But how would you have defined victory? Can you say we have or have not achieved something when you don't know what it is that you wanted to achieve?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 06:56 am
Foofie wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

There is no Saddam Hussein running Iraq, due to the U.S. victory. That's a fact that will be in the history books.

If removing Hussein from power constitutes victory in Iraq, why are we still there fighting?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 11:15 am
It is not for me to say.

Go ask an Iraqi
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 11:26 am
flaja wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

If removing Hussein from power constitutes victory in Iraq, why are we still there fighting?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 04:24 pm
"Thank you for your opinion. My opinion differs. That's how opinions work".
And your opinion is?
Chat forum is not the place to get enlightened.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:04 pm
After "victory" comes Reconstruction. Each Reconstruction has its own flavor. This one is apparently bitter, so to speak.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:30 pm
Foofie wrote:
After "victory" comes Reconstruction. Each Reconstruction has its own flavor. This one is apparently bitter, so to speak.

If reconstruction had been part of our goal, why are we doing such a bad job of it? Did we not do any pre-war reconstruction planning?

The United States, in conjunction with the United Kingdom, France and the U.S.S.R. accepted Germany's unconditional surrender in 1945. These countries thereupon divided Germany into 4 regions with each country acting as the occupying power in one of these regions. In 1949 the U.S., U.K. and France had reconstructed their zones to the point that they established the independent Federal Republic of Germany, i.e., West Germany.

The destruction of Iraq at the time that George Bush declared "mission accomplished" was not anything comparable to the total destruction that Germany had experienced by 1945. But almost 4 years after we invaded Iraq the country is still a war zone in places and has nothing like the political unity or economic prosperity that Germany had after 4 years of Anglo-American military occupation.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:37 pm
flaja wrote:
Foofie wrote:

If reconstruction had been part of our goal, why are we doing such a bad job of it? Did we not do any pre-war reconstruction planning?

The United States, in conjunction with the United Kingdom, France and the U.S.S.R. accepted Germany's unconditional surrender in 1945. These countries thereupon divided Germany into 4 regions with each country acting as the occupying power in one of these regions. In 1949 the U.S., U.K. and France had reconstructed their zones to the point that they established the independent Federal Republic of Germany, i.e., West Germany.

The destruction of Iraq at the time that George Bush declared "mission accomplished" was not anything comparable to the total destruction that Germany had experienced by 1945. But almost 4 years after we invaded Iraq the country is still a war zone in places and has nothing like the political unity or economic prosperity that Germany had after 4 years of Anglo-American military occupation.

You're comparing Germans to Iraqis. I know nothing about Iraqis, but I thought Germany had a very cosmopolitan, cultured, sophisticated society prior to the Nazi regime. Is your comparison equating apples to apples?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:53 pm
Foofie wrote:
flaja wrote:
Foofie wrote:

You're comparing Germans to Iraqis. I know nothing about Iraqis, but I thought Germany had a very cosmopolitan, cultured, sophisticated society prior to the Nazi regime. Is your comparison equating apples to apples?

I am merely pointing out that we accomplished more in the 4 years after we conquered Germany than we have in the 4 years since we conquered Iraq. This tells me that GWB went into Iraq with no real objective for what he'd do once Hussein was gone.

Historically Iraq has always been a prominent feature in the Islamic world. Baghdad used to be known as the New York City of the Islamic World- a center of commerce, science and culture for Moslems the world over.

Furthermore, Germany was totally destroyed. It had next to nothing in the way of infrastructure when WWII ended; most of its cities were in total ruin, the population was starving to death and the country was flat broke. By comparison Iraq was intact and prosperous when Hussein was removed from power. Reconstruction of Iraq should have been a cakewalk in comparison to what we had to accomplish in Germany, but it has been nothing but a GWB fiasco with no end in sight.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 07:30 am
To me "victory" in Iraq would be:

- No US troops in the country, including no US bases there.
- Iraq at relative peace internally with a functioning government and economy.
- Iraq able to hold it's own in terms of law enforcement, border enforcement and the prevention of armed groups from involvement in neighboring countries like Turkey and Iran.
- Iraq on generally friendly terms with the US, similar to the relationship we have with Eygpt or Saudi Arabia. I expect that there will always be elements in Iraq that will hold grudges against the US.

How we get to that point from here is another question.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:34 am
engineer wrote:
Iraq on generally friendly terms with the US, similar to the relationship we have with Eygpt or Saudi Arabia.

That bad?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:42 am
flaja wrote:
engineer wrote:
Iraq on generally friendly terms with the US, similar to the relationship we have with Eygpt or Saudi Arabia.

That bad?

Yes, I'd accept that bad and still call it victory. My point is that I don't expect the Iraq of the future to be a satellite state of the US, but if it ends up like Iran where we can't even have a civilized conversation then there is no "victory".
0 Replies