My Name is Muhammed

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 07:05 am
http://www.gondwanaland.com/mlog/files/muhammad-camel.jpg

Muhammed Allah Akbarami's camel, Muhammed.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 08:23 am
Firing her would be one thing, but to arrest someone for the naming of a stuffed animal is absurd. Although it hasn't happened yet, it is very possible that she may even be whipped for her transgression.

If an Islamic teacher working in the US were arrested for giving a stuffed animal a name from the Christian bible, there would be a cacophany of liberal voices on this board demanding the firing of everyone involved.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 08:30 am
No-one doubts that the USA is more pluralistic than Sudan.
And they don't have a criminal code which derives from a religion.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 08:57 am
I understand they only settled on Mohammed after rejecting

Salman Rushdie Bear
Mustapha Bomb Bear
Zion Lion Bear
etc

An embarrassed Muslim reporter asked Gordon Brown this morning at his scheduled press conference what Britain was going to do about this outrage. The reporter made the point that children in Islamic countries are called Mohammed and they in turn call their pets Mohammed.

Brown said the British Embassy in Khartoum was keeping the next of kin informed.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 12:07 pm
I just heard that Gillian may have to face even more serious charges of sedition. Just what is it about these people and religion?

This from an open letter written by the English husband of a colleague of Gillian. Just posted on the Guardian website.

Quote:
This was Gillian's intention and it is in line with our whole school plan to raise literacy skills - a target especially pertinent as the overwhelming majority of our pupils are of English as Another Language (EAL) status.

In line with this, the first task was to give the teddy a name. Gillian wanted to call the bear "Faris" (in honour of my new son); now we all wish she had gone with this first idea - but, excellent teacher that she is, she chose instead to ask the children what they wanted to call the teddy.

The children voted and chose the name Muhammad. All but one of the children in her class are Muslims.

Gillian then wrote a letter to the parents of Class 2X explaining that the children had chosen the name Muhammad for their class teddy bear. Not one parent raised any objection. Since late September, the teddy has been visiting many of the children of Class 2X's homes. Three of the parents are teachers in the school.

We became aware of this issue a few weeks ago. We suggested to Gillian that it was inappropriate that the teddy bear was called Muhammad, as this might offend cultural sensibilities. The school issued a letter to parents to say that the teddy bear was tired of visiting so many homes and his friend (another stuffed toy called something entirely inoffensive) would be visiting instead. The Islamiyat department in our school was consulted and they suggested that this should resolve any potential problems.

However, on Sunday, the school was visited by officers of the Ministry of Education. Our school director, Robert Boulos, was interviewed at length by these officials. The government officers declared themselves unsatisfied with his responses.

The government men then asked to see and interview Gillian. Gillian gave exactly the same report of her actions. Again, the men from the ministry found this unacceptable and demanded that Gillian present herself at the police barracks.

On arrival at the police barracks, accompanied by the school principal, Gillian was interrogated for five hours. Gillian was then remanded to the cells.

Early yesterday morning I was informed that Gillian had been charged under the Sudanese penal code with blasphemously defaming the Prophet - an offence that is incredible serious here.

Having consulted with a number of religious Muslim people hereabouts, all are of the opinion that Gillian's offence (if it may be described as such) was to inadvertently offend religious sensibilities by allowing the children to name the teddy bear with the same name as the Prophet. As this was not done maliciously, or with deliberate intent, they are puzzled about why Gillian has been detained.

All our parents, both Muslim and Coptic Christian, have stepped forward to offer their support; and the parents of Gillian's class have gone on record to assert that they never had any objection to the name of the teddy bear. I reiterate, the vast majority of these parents are themselves Muslims.

The school is now closed for at least the next week. This was the suggestion of the Ministry of Education. We have been provisioned with extra security around the school; school names have been removed from our transports. The risk of attack against school property and staff has become a concern.

Now, perhaps Gillian was foolish not to have taken advice when the teddy bear was named. However, her intention was clearly not to insult the religious sensibilities of anyone - and she certainly did not upset anyone in the school, or any of the parents.

We are all deeply concerned for Gillian, who is not half as tough as she likes to make out. She is alone, effectively being held in solitary confinement. She does not speak Arabic and the police staff where she was held until Tuesday morning did not speak much English. The police station had been surrounded by a mob baying for Gillian's blood.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 12:54 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
I just heard that Gillian may have to face even more serious charges of sedition.

The latest news, both published at 18:39 GMT:

Woman may be lashed over teddy bear name

Bid to release teddy row teacher
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 06:50 pm
The British Government should deliver an ultimatum to the Sudanese Govt. that unless Ms Gibbons is released unharmed within 36 hours all diplomatic and economic/trade functions with Sudan will cease. And the EU should back it.

If Gibbons is harmed in anyway, we will sequestrate any Sudanese assets in UK, arrest and imprison Sudanese diplomatic staff, and expell all Sudanese nationals.

And if it comes to it declare war.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 01:26 am
More war? And just who is going to fight that war?

You?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 01:54 am
I've just received a message from the Teddy Bears Rights Association which reads.

"We object to one of our members being given the name of an alleged paedophile. We see this is an impediment to our right to associate freely with children".
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 04:36 am
Endymion wrote:
More war? And just who is going to fight that war?

You?
Yes, if necessary to get this woman free. And of course General Gordan. Remember Omdurman.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 04:47 am
[quote="Steve 41oo]Yes, if necessary to get this woman free.[/quote]

Hopefully that there aren't any Danish nationalties around in that case.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 02:37 pm
This is a 54 year old woman who has done nothing wrong except wanting to teach Sudanese children to speak English. She has been sentenced to 15 days imprisonment. This is an outrage. Its the last straw as far as I'm concerned. Islam truly is evil.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 02:41 pm
I could've told you that a long time ago. In fact I have, repeatedly, only to be attacked as an islamophobic racist.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 02:47 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I could've told you that a long time ago. In fact I have, repeatedly, only to be attacked as an islamophobic racist.

That's because you ARE Islamophobic.

This is nuts.

So's killing people judicially.

The world is full of nuts.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 02:52 pm
dlowan wrote:

That's because you ARE Islamophobic.

You know, I really don't care that you think that, because I think everyone should be a bit concerned about what is being spewed from the mosques these days.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 02:52 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I dont recall you telling me repeatedly that Islam is evil. I only used the word evil because I want to kick these religious maniacs where it hurts.

I'm not anti muslim. I'm anti Islam. I'm not against the person, I'm against the stupid idea in his head that encourages him to do stupid and criminal acts.

I'm reluctant to agree with you because politically you and I are worlds apart. But there is nothing irrational about Islamophobia in the sense that there is nothing irrational about fearing people who want to kill you.

And its nothing to do with racism. I'm not anti Irish because of the IRA. Neither am I anti Russian because of communism. But I am anti Islam because it infects gullible minds and turns some of them into fanatical killers.

Ok thats me done feel a bit better, hope Gillian Gibbons does.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 02:54 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
I'm reluctant to agree with you because politically you and I are worlds apart.

Sharia law, and the Judeo-Christian-Humanist law that most of the rest of the world is based on, are also worlds apart.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 03:40 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Sharia law, and the Judeo-Christian-Humanist law that most of the rest of the world is based on, are also worlds apart.

What country has got "Judeo-Christian-Humanist law"?

The European legal order, for instance, is built on Roman Law.

Halakha isn't represented in any other law system than just in ... well, in the Jewish law system.

Humanists had no to little impact on the immediate practice of law, besides the short period in 16th century, when some Legal Humanists were mentioned in Bourges (France).

But I'm not an expert here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:08 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
I dont recall you telling me repeatedly that Islam is evil. I only used the word evil because I want to kick these religious maniacs where it hurts.

I'm not anti muslim. I'm anti Islam. I'm not against the person, I'm against the stupid idea in his head that encourages him to do stupid and criminal acts.

I'm reluctant to agree with you because politically you and I are worlds apart. But there is nothing irrational about Islamophobia in the sense that there is nothing irrational about fearing people who want to kill you.

And its nothing to do with racism. I'm not anti Irish because of the IRA. Neither am I anti Russian because of communism. But I am anti Islam because it infects gullible minds and turns some of them into fanatical killers.

Ok thats me done feel a bit better, hope Gillian Gibbons does.

Then you lack knowledge of the English language....since phobia is defined as an irrational fear of.

Of course it has nothing to do with racism, since Islam is a religion, not a race.

The loonier Islamophobes around here try to make it a kind of racism...since they confuse Islam with being Arab (who are not a separate race from us anyway, so far as I know).

You appear to label yourself happily as an Islamophobe, and I think that is what you are. Cjhsa certainly is....

Any idiot fears being blown up by terrorists, and a fear of that is rational. Probably less so than a fear of taking rides in motor vehicles, but still rational.

Taking this fear to extremes is silly. You have way more chance of being killed next time you get in a car than almost anything else, certainly way more chance of dying that way than being killed by a terrorist. Living in granite houses and eating burned and processed meat is also quite dangerous, as is saturated fat.

I would think the US, you guys and us have now killed way more Muslims in the name of anti terror than they have killed us. What is the Iraqi toll now, 650,000?

I think islam, like christianity, judaism, hinduism etc is nuts. Islam is prolly in one of its major nutso periods, partly because it has such a grasp on government on countries afflicted with it. We fought the christians over this one, and largely won.

I look forward to such progress in islamic countries.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:32 pm
Quote:
What is the Iraqi toll now, 650,000?

That figure is at least a year or more old, though it's not an official figure, but rather a guestimate.

It also doesn't include the million or so Iraqi's that died during the sanctions/blockade, nor the million or so Iranians dead in the US sanctioned war Iraq/Iran war, nor the hmmm haven't seen a figure, but the tens of thousands murdered during the reign of the Iranian Shah after the US staged a coup there to put him in power.

That said, as you probably know, I think Islam is the most dangerous religion on earth. It is perhaps the only one that permits lying in the furtherance of the religion, and imposes a duty to convert by whatever means possible, including convert or die tactics. The different sects of Islam don't agree with each other, to such a degree that many don't see the other as muslim at all...unless the other is attacked by an infidel at least. So it's a choice of a world at war, or a world at war, according to that religion (though I doubt they'd ever admit it)
0 Replies