Come and get me islamofascist freaks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,521 • Replies: 109
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:49 pm
Where is the problem cjhsa? When in Rome........
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:08 pm
Well, while I think it's totally ridiculous to punish her, she lives there and should understand and know their customs and beliefs.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:09 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Well, while I think it's totally ridiculous to punish her, she lives there and should understand and know their customs and beliefs.

So what about the 100,000,000+ islamofascists named Muhammed?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:11 pm
Well, clearly the children didn't know it was against the local customs and beliefs. I don't get why it would be a problem to name a bear Muhammed. Many many children are given the name, so it's not sacred. This is absurd.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:15 pm
I think that it showed insensitivity on the teacher's part. On the other hand, jailing her, and possibly whipping her, is ridiculous. Then again, I am very grateful that I live in the US, and not in Africa.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:18 pm
My name is Muhammed

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/2022/392543cc5.jpg
0 Replies

Bella Dea

I think they are ridiculous and should be punished...but not for being named Muhammed.

I already said I think it's ridiculous to get all crazy about a teddy bear but what if a teacher here in the US named a teddy bear something we thought was offensive? I think it's dumb to get crazy over the name of any teddy bear if the intention is not malicious but you can bet your sweet ass that if someone named a classroom teddy bear something like "jiggaboo" there'd be hell to pay.

It's all in society norms.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

I agree that this looks absurd. As does the British law that considers it as an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down. Or that you must be 21 to drinl alcohol in a pub or ...
0 Replies

farmerman

name me one great Islamic Comedian
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:26 pm
farmerman wrote:

Shazia Mirza

I guess that it is understandable that North Americans do not understand the religious significance in other countries.

Look what North America has done to it's own

Twas the month before Christmas
When all through our land,
Not a Christian was praying
Nor taking a stand.
Why the PC Police had taken away,
The reason for Christmas - no one could say.
The children were told by their schools not to sing,
About Shepherds and Wise Men and Angels and things.
It might hurt people's feelings, the teachers would say
December 25th is just a 'Holiday'.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:40 pm
Quote:

Nor taking a stand.

posted for humorous counterpoint, right?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:48 pm
you need to post a "laugh" sign for me .
Jever hear a joke about a priest a rabbi and an Imam going into a bar? NO cause they hadda leave the Imam outside.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:51 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
Quote:

Nor taking a stand.

I'll leave that to speculation.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:52 pm
farmerman wrote:
you need to post a "laugh" sign for me .
Jever hear a joke about a priest a rabbi and an Imam going into a bar? NO cause they hadda leave the Imam outside.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PAI/W619~Laugh-Posters.jpg
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 03:03 pm
I do not want to impose my values on other countries. If an Islamic country in Africa wishes to persecute someone for the name of a stuffed animal, it's none of my business.

BUT - when people of a different culture come to MY country and want us to kowtow to their beliefs, that's a different story.

I used to work with several Brits who told quite a few stories of this sort of nonsense going on in the UK. To avoid hearsay, perhaps some British A2Kers could post their firsthand experiences?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 05:20 pm
Intrepid wrote:
tinygiraffe wrote:
Quote:

Nor taking a stand.

I'll leave that to speculation.

it would be very stupid for me to wish most of the people i know a merry christmas, as most of the people i know celebrate channukah. of course i don't wish them "happy holidays" because i wish them a happy channukah. i wish christians a merry christmas, and i celebrate christmas because we grew up celebrating it as a secular holiday, even though i was atheist. most of the presents i get this year will be christmas presents, not holiday presents. it's a tradition.

regardless, this year i am thinking more about channukah because of the company i'll be spending "the holidays" with, and i care more about loved ones than which holiday i'm focused on. one of my closer friends celebrates christmas because he's british, and i'll be getting him a christmas present and wishing him a "happy christmas," also for obvious reasons. i always thought "happy christmas" sounded cooler than "merry," but i know what a raving fit people would have here if you started making things british. but since i'm relatively godless, i can get away with it until jesus comes back and makes me say "merry" again.

however, the stores will say "happy holidays," as will teachers in school, so that christians and jews that don't have their heads up their ass will be able to share the holidays in the spirit of... christmas? i don't know. i didn't know we were crusading for holiday observation, too- i thought we drew the line at raping and pillaging the heathen. but being an unwashed "liberal," i get to enjoy two holidays with christians and with jews. imagine, they used to have the same religion- and no presents during the holidays.

on the humorous end of things, i did like the episode of the simpsons where bart says "christmas is the time where people of all religions get together and celebrate the birth of christ." now that's funny. i could probably save a fair bit of cash if i just got everyone cards that said "happy holidays" on them, but i prefer to be more personal than that.

if i ran a national chain of stores that was trying to save money on making everyone happy, i'd probably opt for the easy and cheaper greeting. but since this is a christian nation after all, perhaps "merry holidays" would be better. i do feel sorry for dionysus, osirus, and mithras however, because unlike jesus, they all have birthdays on december 25th and they only get christmas presents. it's so cheap when people do that!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 05:37 pm
farmerman wrote:

I think Sabrina Jalees is gonna be big. She is 'great' in the sense of the quality of her humour - I hope she'll be 'great' in the sense of famous sometime soon. She's damn funny.

The Canadian sitcom Little Mosque on the Prairie continues to do well.

http://www.cbc.ca/littlemosque/

I think some of the Muslim performers on the show have potential to go a long way with their comedy and acting careers.

~~~

Azhar Usman is great if you get a chance to see him perform.

http://www.thestar.com/Life/article/207216
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 05:56 pm
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,23663,22671771-10388,00.html

Quote:
What Muslim folk laugh at, according to comedy trio
By Khaled Khalafalla
October 30, 2007 09:39am

COMEDY is the best way to make a noticeable point "without blowing up an embassy", says Australian Muhamed Elleissi, who forms part of the Melbourne Muslim comedy trio Fear Of A Brown Planet.

Also presenting the fusion between ethnicity, religion and Australia are Islamic council representative, Aamer Rahman, and Allah Made Me Funny host, Nazeem Hussain.

Naz, Momo and Aamer, sporting Aviator sunglasses, high-cut sneakers, and a green and gold cap worn at what is, in Australian standards, a fashionable angle, are the comedians set to "break down the stereo ypes that entwine Muslims with terrorists" - by making "terrorist jokes" in their live show.

Many Muslims are pushed to the fringe of society due to commonly Muslim-attributed terrorist attacks in the past six years - but these associations are easily laughed away, by jokes masses of Muslims relate to.

According to Aamer, it is common practice among Muslims to laugh off degrading labels, "we laugh at these associations, patronising the people that made them".

The 9/11 disaster butchered the concept of humour in Islam, and left the dry taste of tenacity in many Muslim's mouths, but last year's controversial Allah Made Me Funny tour, hosted by Americans Azhar Usman and Preacher Moss, rocketed Muslims around the world into the comedy scene.

Hot on the explosive comedy trail last month, Palestinian American "Mo" Aamer made over 2000 thong-wearing, beard-bearing and scarf-flaring Muslims in the Vodafone Arena rattle the room with laughter.

Ask the American comics what tickles a Muslim fancy, and they'll impersonate Muslims saying the Islamic greeting "assalaamualaikum" in different dialects, ridicule the link between terror suspects and being named Osama or Mohamed and dwell on the irony of being a pilot or biochemist while Muslim.

Boasting an abundance of facial hair, one of the Americans fuelled hordes of laughing Muslims by sharing how he is commonly perceived as a "terror suspect" in airports.

A sad reality for many Muslims fleeing war-torn countries is deportation, to which the Palestinian laughs off saying "where are they going to send us … our country doesn't exist!" - while perpetuating audience laughter.

Continuing the Muslim comedy trend for Australia, the Melbourne trio plan on joking about their families, cultures, and things that "reach out to both black and white audiences" Aamer says.

Naz says Muslims can joke about these things "because they are close to us", but as was made blatantly clear by the 2006 Danish cartoon controversy, "there's definitely a line that can't be crossed".

According to Aamer, jokes referring to Islamic practice, Muslim Prophets, "especially prophet Mohamed" and God, are a strictly "no-go zone" even for Muslims, "but offence is a personal thing, it varies between people, not religions" Momo adds.

Careful not to cross the line, Aamer says "our show could just be offensive", as they laugh off the Cronulla riots, migrant discrimination "and stuff that white people are too scared to talk about" he says.

The trio endeavour to push the boundaries of their jokes during this year's "Melbourne Fringe Festival", and agree "the show will make you laugh hysterically - then at some point cringe", Momo says.

The diversity of Australian Muslims offer different backgrounds, cultures and ethnicities. Though the boys say they can't predict everyone's reactions.

"Let's just say this isn't a show for any one in the One Nation, Liberal, or KKK parties," Aamer says.
There are, according to this year's census, a platter of over 300,000 Australian Muslims - a rapidly growing number. The divide between Australian and Muslim however, is slowly fading thanks to our Australian humour heroes.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 05:13 am
Reactions in the British press, by the Wrap, one of Guardian Unlimited's paid-for services.

Quote:
INNOCENT AS A TEDDY BEAR

Fifty-year-old expat teacher Gillian Gibbons makes the front page of quite a few newspapers. Gibbons let children in the upmarket Sudanese class she taught decide the name of their teddy bear. When they chose Muhammad and the perceived blasphemy percolated back to their parents, Gibbons was arrested. She's still being held in a Khartoum jail where an angry mob is said to have gathered outside. If she's charged and found guilty she will be punished under Sharia law. The school is now closed and the foreign office is involved.

The Guardian reports that Gibbons "had asked a girl in the class to bring a teddy bear into school to help focus the children on learning about animals and their habitat". The children were then asked to name the bear, with eight suggestions whittled down to three and then finally Muhammad chosen. "Each weekend a different child was allowed to take the toy home and write about what they did with the bear. The diary entries were collected in a book, featuring a bear on the cover and the label 'My Name is Muhammad'. This diary is now in police hands, and the little girl who owns the teddy soon to be questioned."

A pupil who didn't wish to be named has contacted the Mail. "She's a lovely teacher and I don't think she deserves any of this because the students are the ones who chose the name, not her. The teddy bear is not a symbol of anything bad." The paper also tracks down a professor who links the teddy bear incident to British colonial rule that ended in the 50s. "There was an Islamic revolution and the British quashed it ... Sudan has a very harsh memory of British treatment." Recollection of that is the problem, he says.

The story is the Mirror's front page. The paper has sought out Muslims to comment, and the MP and minister Shahid Malik tells the paper that "as far as I am concerned this is not Islam. There was no malice intended whatsoever. It seems 100% purely innocent."

'My name is Muhammad' - school project leaves British teacher facing 40 lashes
Mirror: Beyond reason
Telegraph: Teddy bear teacher faces lashes
Mail: British teachers faces lashes over Muhammad bear
0 Replies