Project Runway--Back Again

Swimpy

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:13 am
@sozobe,
Joe, I think. He's a sleeper for finalist. I think he will sneak in. I watched last night's episode with one eye and the sound off but I was shocked at the winner. I thought Jerel's outfit was well made but I question his choice of fabrics. It wasn't the first time that he put stuff together that didn't work for me. And Blayne's was really pukey. He has deserved to go many times over the course of the season. I didn't get why they brought back the booted designers to help. Was one of them going to get asked back if their look won?
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:17 am
@Swimpy,
One of the previous seasons it came out that there is some sort of producer intervention -- people are kept around not just for talent but for personality. To keep the series interesting. I think Blayne's still around for that reason.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 01:32 am
Suede should have been out. Joe is gone because of a pinstripe suit. Go figure.

I can now tolerate Leanne, but Kenley must go. Don't like her at all. She's a one-trick pony with attitude. Hey judges. Get rid of her.

I liked Jerrell's outfit, but I thought it was a little cocktaily for work. Liked Korto's jacket a lot. Not crazy about the dress, though.

I predict that the final three will be Korto, Jerrell, and Leanne.
Swimpy

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 03:25 pm
@Roberta,
I agree about Suede. I thought Joe deserved to go, though. That suit was bo-o-oring
Agree, about Korto's dress. It was too short for one thing. That girl did not have a supermodel's body ferchrissake. The jacket was great. I would wear that.
Leanne's outfit was doudy. Kenley is just a brat. I hated her dress, too. I couldn't believe the judges liked it.
Swimpy

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:52 pm
@Swimpy,
Well, what did you think?
Roberta

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 12:25 am
@Swimpy,
I was so annoyed that they didn't dump Kenley that the minute I realized she was still there, I switched channels. Not only is she rude (to TIM, no less), but her outfit was HORRIBLE. Not hip hop. Not good even if it wasn't hip hop.

Suede's outfit may have been dullish, but at least it was rock and roll.

I thought that either Korto or Jerrell deserved to win. No problem there.
Swimpy

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:15 pm
@Roberta,
I agree with your assessment. I know they are just keeping Kenly because she adds to the drama. Frankly, she's done a couple of good things but mostly not. Suede was going to go eventually. They ust speeded him out the door. I thought Jerrell should have won. He made a pop star out of Kenley. She really looked like Britney Spears.
sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 05:33 am
@Swimpy,
Haven't caught this one yet but I agree re: Suede and Kenley anyway. Suede's whole third-person gimmick was just... premature? He didn't have enough talent to back it up.

I really like both Jerrell and Korto. Hope one of 'em wins. (Korto's my preference I think.)
Swimpy

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 05:56 am
@sozobe,
I want to believe that Kenley isn't going to Bryant Park, but.... I wouldn't bet the farm. Korto, Jerrell and Leanne? that trio has no trauma and drama. Although they have been trying to develop Leanne's inner bee-otch.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:13 am
Not at all pleased that all four get a chance to go to Bryant Park. Kenley should have been out. Her dress was ooky (not just saying that because I don't like her). I think the judges (or the producers) wimped out. I don't think all four should be competing again. Sigh. Nobody listens to me--'cept the people who read this.

I agreed that Jerrell's was the best, but it wasn't finished. The top of Leanne's dress was lovely. The bottom looked frumpy.

Korto's dress was eh. I expected more from her.
Swimpy

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 03:13 pm
@Roberta,
I thought Korto should have gone more for the shape of that flower, not just the colors. That would have been spectacular. Her dress was a big disappointment. Jerrell's could have been great, too. I agree with you on Leanne's. I don't know why she felt she had to use that blue fabric. And Kenley, well you know how I feel about her.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 10:23 pm
Much as I hate to admit it, Kenley deserved to be in the finals. She also seemed to make an effort to be civil. I also thought Leanne deserved to be there.

Not sure whose work I thought was awfuler--Jerrell's or Korto's. Holy moley, what were they thinking?! Based on the wedding dresses and brides maid dresses, I thought Jerrell had a slight edge. But catching a glimpse of their collections in the home visits, I think Korto had done better work.

Still, what a let-down. What's your take?
Swimpy

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 10:21 am
@Roberta,
I thought Kenley's wedding gown was stunning. Michael Kors mentioned that he thought she had copied a bit from Alexander McQueen. If you go to his website and click on the catwalk slide show, you will find some dresses that are similar in silhouette, but that's all. Her bridesmaid dress was good, but I thought the skirt was too short. Leanne's gown and bridesmaid dress were perfect.

I agree with you on the other two designers. Jerrell deserved to go home, IMO. He has been inconsistent throughout the competition. Korto has been as well, but I think she has better taste than Jerrell does. He just needs to mature.
sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 10:27 am
@Swimpy,
I'm confused... (I haven't watched the last two episodes but am caught up until then. Last one I saw was the design for each other/ musical genre one. Kenley Spears was hilarious! :-D)

I thought that when Roberta said that the four remaining people had a chance to go to Bryant park, it meant that they all were doing collections and stuff...? Showing in the tents? But now it sounds like there was one more challenge -- something about wedding dresses -- and Jerrell's out while Leanne, Kenley, and Korto will be doing collections... do I have that right?
Roberta

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 10:36 am
@sozobe,
Yes, you got it sorta right.

All four designers were asked to do their collections for Bryant Park. They were also asked to do a wedding dress, which would be what would be judged to determine who would get to compete in Bryant Park.

So all four did their complete collections, including the wedding dress. When they got to NY, they were told to create a bride's maid dress to go with the wedding dress. Those two dresses were the basis for the final decision, but all four designers did collections.

I believe that all four get to show their collections in Bryant Park, but that only the top three are competing for the top prize.
sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 10:48 am
@Roberta,
Thank you!
Roberta

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 02:23 pm
@sozobe,
soz, Don't know how interested you are. If you're fairly interested, you can go here:

http://www.bravotv.com/Project_Runway/season/5/index.php

It'll show you who did what.
sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 02:40 pm
@Roberta,
I did check that out, between when I asked and you answered, thanks. The site is either not up to date or it doesn't like my browser. For example, I couldn't get at Tim Gunn's blog (just the teaser, then only get comments -- not his blog -- when I try to see the whole thing). And the last episode they have a recap for is the music one.

When I was browsing photo albums though I found the Bryant Park shows of SIX contestants, which confused me. (Korto, Kenley, Leanne, Jerrell, Suede, and thatonestraightguywhosenameIneverremember -- Joe?) I guess they all showed but only Kenley, Korto, and Leanne were in the running to win. (Korto's show underwhelmed me, I expected better.)

Roberta

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 03:05 pm
@sozobe,
The blogs take a long time to come up. Tim's is usually the best, but he didn't have one this time.

I found out last year that the final bunch (six, I think) of contestants get to present a show, but only the three finalists are in the running for the prize. It seems to me that having a show in Bryant Park is a prize in itself. I don't know why they do this. Maybe they have to fill a tent, so they have to present a faily substantial show.
Swimpy

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 05:32 pm
@Roberta,
They do it so as not to tip off who the finalists are. Bryant Park happens well before the series ends on tv.