Project Runway--Back Again

Swimpy

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 04:20 pm
I'll have to check out TG's blog. I really like him.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 04:39 pm
swimpy, If you're gonna look for the blog, look under bravotv.com. Bravo.com is another site. Sorry.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 06:25 pm
I found it. He really made it sound like he gave Ricky a lot of input. Maybe more than he was comfortable with.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 06:41 pm
Tim's take on Ricky's dress:

"Ricky wins! I don't know who was more surprised by his win -- Ricky or me. I cannot tell a lie: I was profoundly concerned about his look. I thought it was too basic and too poorly finished. On the show, you hear me say, "It's stunning," and it's true that I did say it, as in, "Fix all of this and make certain that it's stunning." The editors were stuck with a conundrum, because so little of what I said to Ricky (and I said a lot) could be used. In any case, I was baffled by the judges' rhapsodic support of his design. It was so similar to Rami's look and even to Chris's design, but it was less ambitious than either. The judges celebrated the look's fit. It's a strapless tube dress! How challenging can the fit be? But please don't get me wrong: I'm sincerely pleased for Ricky that he won. But I'm equally baffled. Chacun a son gout. It's a matter of taste."

Interesting comment about how the tape editors managed to get the cutting right so that Tim says to Ricky, "It's stunning," when in fact that's not what Tim said at all. Tim clearly disagreed with the judges. I don't think they were all that far off. I liked the little dress. I just liked Rami's and Sweet P's more.

I'm gonna stay way from this blog until after I post my comments next week. I don't want to be influenced.

BTW, Tim says, "Chacun a son gout" a lot. (I did a lot of reading). According to my handy-dandy French dictionary, the expression is chacun son gout--no a. Tim Gunn wrong?! Thud.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 10:29 pm
What does it mean?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 12:04 am
My dictionary says, "Every man to his taste."
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:38 am
Another steenkin' rerun.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:21 am
I caught one episode yesterday, an early one -- menswear, with Tiki Barber. It was so fun! I was watching with sozlet, who was a great admirer of the hair and tattoos (she liked Kit a lot -- she's the one with the choppy blonde hair?), but it was a little borderline. It seemed to be some sort of marathon, there was another one right after, but I couldn't watch two hours in a row (as much as I wanted to!)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 06:58 pm
soz, You've got a lot of catching to do. Don't remember whether Kit has tattoos. Sweet P definitely does.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 10:38 pm
The antithesis of haute couture. In-ring outfits for women wrestlers.

This may be a first. I agreed with the judges almost totally. Agreed that Chris's outfit was the best. Liked Jillian's and Christian's a lot. I confess I loved seeing the expression on Christian's face when he didn't win.

When I said "almost totally," I was referring to the loser. I agree that Ricky's outfit looked like a bathing suit. But it looked nice. Rami's outfit was awful. What was he thinking? Sweet P's outfit was not even remotely what the wrestler wanted. How can you whip open your cape to dramatically reveal what's underneath when the underneath is already revealed because the cape doesn't close. I thought this was worse than the bathing suit and Rami's ooky pink thing. She should have gone home, IMO.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:18 pm
Agreed. I think they were making up for naming Ricky the winner last time when they should have chosen either Rami or Sweet P. Ricky desrved to lose. He's not a good designer.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:29 pm
You're probably right. Ricky was the weakest of the remaining group.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:50 pm
Wanna make a prediction for who's out next week? I vote for Sweet P.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 02:21 pm
Either Sweet P or Chris. More likely Sweet P. I think the final three (Jillian, Rami, and Christian) has been a given for a while. Something flukey might happen, but I doubt it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 10:53 pm
Roberta wrote:
Something flukey might happen, but I doubt it.

Something flukey did happen. A design-off. On the one hand it seems kind of cruel to have two designers create a whole line when only one will get to show it. On the other hand at least they have a chance.

My take on tonight:

I wasn't crazy about Jillian's outfit at all. Great workmanship and attention to detail. But basically eh.

I think my views of Christian's work are colored by the fact that I can't stand the little twerp. However, I thought his design was ok. I fear he will win the whole shmear, which will make him even more insufferable than he is now. Of course, then the show will be over, so we won't have to see how insufferable he becomes.

There was a lot that Sweet P could have done with a peacock as an inspiration. What she ended up with wasn't inspired. Another eh.

Rami is stubborn and predictable. However, since he knows how the judges feel about his draping mania, I think he took a chance in draping. I thought his dress was gorgeous--and predictable.

I really liked Chris's translation of the painting to a design. Not for everyone, but I thought it showed imagination. I don't understand why the judges made such a big deal out of an offshoot of another design he did. Rami does this weekly. Chris did it once.

I have a feeling that the runoff is a result of Rami's disappointing drape and the visiting judge's strong feelings for Chris's dress.

Next week--the reunion show.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 09:48 am
I felt exactly like you did, Roberta, except I didn't like Chris' dress at all. He tried to use the same fabric as the painting and go in a different direction. I didn't think the body of the dress was anything special. It looked unfinished (one of their favorite words.) I had the same reaction to the flippy-out neckline. We'd seen it before.

Rami's dress was too literal even if it was well made. They set him up, I suspect, knowing that he would be drawn to the Grecian draping. He fell right into it.

Jillian's jacket was fabulous. The dress, not so much. I think she has a real chance at the prize if she doesn't play it too safe.

Christian, I agree, is looking like the champion. His outfits just keep getting better. I don't think they gave us enough of a look at the blouse. What I could see looked really detailed. But I agree, he's a ****.

And last, but certainly least, Sweet P. That dress was dreadful.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 09:54 am
(I haven't caught any more since I posted here last but your accounts of the show are almost as entertaining as the show itself!)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 11:46 am
Soz, next week they will be rerunning them all day long every day. You should be able to catch some of them.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 01:40 pm
Foist, I forgot to say what the challenge was. Sorry. They group shlepped up to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (love that jernt). They got to look at three collections--Greek/Roman, European paintings, and the Temple of Dendur (Egyptian)--and were supposed to find one work that inspired an outfit.

Second, re Chris's dress, I see your point, Swimpy. Unfinished, kinda. But I really liked how he translated the look of the dress in the painting to his dress.

Any guesses as to who will end up being the "fan favorite" on next week's show? I think it will be Chris. Hey, I'm a fan, and he's my favorite.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 01:58 pm
I'm sure Chris wiil win fan favorite. The rest of them are a bit lacking in the personality department.
0 Replies