US a fading superpower?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 01:12 pm
au1929 wrote:
Cyclo
What branch of the service did you serve in Laughing

None of them. I have a vision problem which prevents me from joining.

Not that I would, anyways (though I probably would have when I was younger). If I thought America was being threatened in any serious way I would pick up a rifle like any other American; I have no interest in killing or facilitating killing in order to benefit our 'interests abroad.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 02:04 pm
Au
Would you mind to educate me ?
I feel sorry for those who had risked their life for the barbaric wars.
Whether they are German Hitler soldiers or Communist comrades in arms.
Forget about the puny poor GI's in Iraq.
I am of the opinion that USA should get rid of its arrogance( in my dictionary arrogance is complex)
None wish to shatter the never fulfilled American dreams.(try to fulfill the Dreams of GIs)
Let us support the troops and give them a nice congenial life like those easy chair intellectuals who spread the fear and animosities.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 02:45 pm
Of course, the United States is not vulnerable to the violent, total closing-down of the system that followed Mussolini's march on Rome or Hitler's roundup of political prisoners. Our democratic habits are too resilient, and our military and judiciary too independent, for any kind of scenario like that.

Rather, as other critics are noting, our experiment in democracy could be closed down by a process of erosion.

It is a mistake to think that early in a fascist shift you see the profile of barbed wire against the sky. In the early days, things look normal on the surface; peasants were celebrating harvest festivals in Calabria in 1922; people were shopping and going to the movies in Berlin in 1931. Early on, as WH Auden put it, the horror is always elsewhere - while someone is being tortured, children are skating, ships are sailing: "dogs go on with their doggy life ... How everything turns away/ Quite leisurely from the disaster."

As Americans turn away quite leisurely, keeping tuned to internet shopping and American Idol, the foundations of democracy are being fatally corroded. Something has changed profoundly that weakens us unprecedentedly: our democratic traditions, independent judiciary and free press do their work today in a context in which we are "at war" in a "long war" - a war without end, on a battlefield described as the globe, in a context that gives the president - without US citizens realising it yet - the power over US citizens of freedom or long solitary incarceration, on his say-so alone.

That means a hollowness has been expanding under the foundation of all these still- free-looking institutions - and this foundation can give way under certain kinds of pressure. To prevent such an outcome, we have to think about the "what ifs".

What if, in a year and a half, there is another attack - say, God forbid, a dirty bomb? The executive can declare a state of emergency. History shows that any leader, of any party, will be tempted to maintain emergency powers after the crisis has passed. With the gutting of traditional checks and balances, we are no less endangered by a President Hillary than by a President Giuliani - because any executive will be tempted to enforce his or her will through edict rather than the arduous, uncertain process of democratic negotiation and compromise.

What if the publisher of a major US newspaper were charged with treason or espionage, as a rightwing effort seemed to threaten Keller with last year? What if he or she got 10 years in jail? What would the newspapers look like the next day? Judging from history, they would not cease publishing; but they would suddenly be very polite.

Right now, only a handful of patriots are trying to hold back the tide of tyranny for the rest of us - staff at the Center for Constitutional Rights, who faced death threats for representing the detainees yet persisted all the way to the Supreme Court; activists at the American Civil Liberties Union; and prominent conservatives trying to roll back the corrosive new laws, under the banner of a new group called the American Freedom Agenda. This small, disparate collection of people needs everybody's help, including that of Europeans and others internationally who are willing to put pressure on the administration because they can see what a US unrestrained by real democracy at home can mean for the rest of the world.

We need to look at history and face the "what ifs". For if we keep going down this road, the "end of America" could come for each of us in a different way, at a different moment; each of us might have a different moment when we feel forced to look back and think: that is how it was before - and this is the way it is now.

"The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands ... is the definition of tyranny," wrote James Madison. We still have the choice to stop going down this road; we can stand our ground and fight for our nation, and take up the banner the founders asked us to carry."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2064157,00.html
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 02:56 pm
The illusion of American 'smart power'
By Kaveh L Afrasiabi
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/IK13Ak02.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 03:14 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
some trash

Veterans Day
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:26 pm
au1929 wrote:
JTT wrote:

He made the excellent points:

"Why is there such a military mindset in the United States?"

"It is long past the time when veterans have done anything honorable."

You have to ask yourself just how many of these veterans died in defence of anything except greed.

Was it their fault, partially yes, partially no. Many were young, impressionable, poor people duped by an avarice government.

Why do you allow that this one sham of a day should go on, yet you aren't screaming to the heavens about government policies that spend billions on the armaments, enriching the corporations, but leaving these veterans lying in the streets?

The day is to honor those who answered the call anf put their lives on the line. Not the government or to justify the wars in which they fought.

Your statements are an insult to anyone who ever served . I would probably be banned if I told you what I thought of them and you.
What I think of our government relative to it's actions is a different
subject.

I would and will demand that you are NOT banned for saying what you wish to say.

But first you should try to find out what it actually is that I believe. You may well find that we're not that far apart, Au.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 10:29 pm
President Dwight Eisenhower said it best when he warned about the military-industrial complex. Military personnel after twenty years in the military can retire with generous pensions and look for a second career in industry. Those of higher ranks such as generals tend to end up in the upper echelons of defense contractors and with their connections within the Pentagon would be crucial in winning bids for defense contracts. Most defense contractors are money-making machines and run by Republicans. So one can easily see that aspiring military personnel looking forward to a cushy future would be well advised to hold Republican sympathies.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:07 am
Veterans abandoned

Published: November 12, 2007

often, soldiers who return from Iraq or Afghanistan (and those who served in Vietnam or Korea) have been left to fend for themselves, with little help from the government.
Tens of thousands of reservists and National Guard troops whose jobs were supposedly protected while they were at war have been denied prompt re-employment upon their return or else lost seniority, pay and other benefits. Some 1.8 million veterans were unable to get care in veterans' hospitals and clinics in 2004 and lacked health insurance to pay for care elsewhere. More wounded soldiers are surviving the current conflicts with grievous injuries; their long-term medical care and disability benefits could exceed the amount spent so far in prosecuting the war in Iraq.

The entire burden of today's wars has been carried by a voluntary military force and its families. The larger public has not faced a draft, paid higher taxes or been asked to make any other sacrifice. The least a grateful nation can do is support returning troops.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 07:04 pm
If America's today is any indication of how America's tomorrow will develop, the past and present must be scrutinized, and understood, for in exploring the sins and errors and tribulations and events of days preceding our own time we can peer directly into, as far as we can go, into America's tomorrow, trying to understand the course our nation is headed towards. The patterns of history are omnipotent, never invisible or clandestine, waiting eagerly on the periphery for us to wake up and hear the trumpets signaling and warning us to the troubles waiting America's tomorrow.

America's tomorrow will arrive like a thunderbolt created during an ominous storm of fear and psychological fragility, striking without warning, its concussion reverberating throughout the land. An attack by the enemy will be declared, its images aired repetitiously by the corporatist media, unleashing wave after wave of human emotion and tragedy for all of us to absorb. The attack will be horrific, a new Pearl Harbor reincarnated, devastating lives and infrastructure, its severity magnified a million-fold by the instruments of propaganda, the tools of power releasing a hypnotizing cocktail of fear, hatred and xenophobia amongst the citizenry.

Tens of millions of people will instantly become, once again, the marching army of drones and automatons for those in power, engendering legions of "good Americans," their minds under the spell of human wickedness, ready to sacrifice their blood, children, treasure and freedom in the name of security, acting on animal instinct, looking at government for protection, willingly enslaving themselves to the dictates of criminals and murderers. Calls for vengeance abroad and greater security in the fatherland will emanate from our monitors, becoming the calls to prayer listened to by the faithful.
http://valenzuelasveritas.blogspot.com/2005/12/americas-tomorrow.html
0 Replies