US a fading superpower?

au1929

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 09:41 am
A favorite topic for many Washington politicos is how long will the United States hang on to its role as world's sole superpower. Most suspect the US will stand alone as top power well into the future, because other countries have not hurried to develop similar power or assume global responsibility and also because most world leaders appreciate how the US provides economic stability and security. Nonetheless, author David Reiff argues in the Los Angeles Times that US standing could slip away. Citing the examples of the Roman, Spanish, and British empires, Reiff concludes that US power has only one direction to move - downward - and he cites economic decline as a leading factor. The role of the US in world affairs, its standing as sole superpower, rests in the hands of US voters - whether they choose leaders who take on manageable and necessary tasks in the global arena or leaders who act recklessly, with ignorance and waste. The US confronts a choice, writes Reiff, "not between a second American century and anarchy but between a multipolar world in which we will play an important role and an anti-American century." - YaleGlobal

Fading Superpower?

Like all empires before it, the US will slip from the top of the heap - let's start getting ready

David Rieff
The Los Angeles Times, 19 September 2007

Click here for the original article on The Los Angeles Times website.

David Rieff is the author of many books, including "At the Point of a Gun: Democratic Dreams and Armed Intervention" and "A Bed for the Night: Humanitarianism in Crisis."

Is the US a fading superpower?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,719 • Replies: 128
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 09:48 am
The wages of sin . . .

I was thinking about this today--sixty years ago, the United States was a beacon of hope to much of the world. It was the emergent superpower which had lead the world from the morass of the second world war. Now we are almost universally despised. In my never humble opinion, that should surprise no one.

Is our power "fading?" I doubt it, but what is more significant is that thanks to idiot cowboys like the clown in the White House, we have lost the respect of the world, and almost all of our foreign friends.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 10:06 am
That diletante communist and sometimes theologian Reinhhold Neibuhr summed it up below:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 11:11 am
farmerman
Below ???
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 12:03 pm
Once we rid of 'AIPAC' and 'Pro Israel Lobby' we're back on course.

It's as easy as that, really.

America has been Hijacked!

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wSRNa7akL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

And once they're out you can say good bye to - anti-Americanism, terrorism, security, economic decline...etc. The rest of the countries across the globe, would happily except us back into the sane world. Europe's 728 million and Moslem 1.4 billion are hating us, right now. (I won't mention Russia and China)

All because of a few maga rich Zionists redirecting U.S foreign policy?
Shame on America.

(If you need sources to back up my claims just ask)
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 01:23 pm
oh i dunno, zippo. there would still be halliburton and defense contractors.

you blame the middle east conflict as the source of this, but the source is american greed as much as anything. without greed, halliburton wouldn't have such enormous profit in dealing with whoever you connect to the war. if not for whoever you blame, they would find another conflict to fund themselves with- or create one. i'm not absolving anyone they deal with of course, it's a two way street, just like everything is in the middle east.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 02:07 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
oh i dunno, zippo. there would still be halliburton and defense contractors.

you blame the middle east conflict as the source of this, but the source is american greed as much as anything. without greed, halliburton wouldn't have such enormous profit in dealing with whoever you connect to the war. if not for whoever you blame, they would find another conflict to fund themselves with- or create one. i'm not absolving anyone they deal with of course, it's a two way street, just like everything is in the middle east.

You are absolutely right, tinygiraffe...Without our homegrown corrupt greed leaders/contractors, Pro Israel Lobby and/or AIPAC wouldn't be influenced as much. I was wrong to solely blame Pro Israel Lobby & AIPAC, this blame must be shared by our own corrupt wealthy leaders. They're all members of this same greedy group. The other problem is that the cash flow from AIPAC or any mega rich Lobby members, can corrupt even the most un-corrupt Governor, Senator or Leader[s]. People would sell their own country for the right price.

http://www.radioislam.org/cartoons/aipac.jpg

Check out this article:

Quote:
Cheryl Hudson: Missing: one American dream

Until America reconnects with its historic vision, the world will sneer

From Times Online
October 22, 2007

The United States is a constant source of both fascination and frustration to those living outside of its borders, and perhaps to those within as well. Inspiring both hope and hatred, the US lumbers along on its self-proclaimed historical mission to bring liberty, democracy and equality to the world. It is a mission that has been admired and emulated across the globe but one which is increasingly seen as insensitive, exclusionary, arrogant and aggressive.

My own fascination with America emerged when, as a student, I read about the ideals and aims of the American revolutionaries of the eighteenth century. Jefferson's Declaration of Independence told the world that it was "self-evident" that "men are created equal" and that government was instituted in order to secure "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." My fascination deepened when I came to understand that those groups who were denied the citizenship rights granted to all free, white men actively used the ideals of the founders as weapons in their own fight for those rights. The ideals of freedom, democracy and equality were given a fuller meaning by the struggles of slavery abolitionists, suffragettes, anti-imperialists and civil rights protestors. Martin Luther King tapped into the most American of traditions when he pronounced his dream of racial justice - what he called cashing in the promissory note signed by the architects of the nation.

Today, the American dream is rarely evoked but nightmarish visions of rampant American consumerism, an out of control foreign policy, extensive environmental waste and destruction and a mindless popular culture are constantly set before us. Not only are the founding values of the US widely sneered at, they are also often blamed for all the terrible things that happen in the world. Anti-Americanism is on the rise across the globe but sadly, it is the failure of the US to retain faith in its own mission that has bolstered and encouraged its critics.

Much of contemporary American rhetoric about freedom and democracy rings hollow. This is not because we might contest its premises but literally because it has been emptied of meaning. George W. Bush does not have an inspiring vision for the future in the way that Thomas Jefferson or Martin Luther King did. Let's be honest. Inspiring political visions of the future are pretty thin on the ground right now, period. Instead, from Washington to Baghdad, disillusionment holds our political imagination in check. Until America starts to believe in itself again, it has little chance of capturing the hearts and minds of others. America, in many ways a symbol of modernity and the future, will be loved again when we can all renew our political aspirations for a better world.

Timesonline
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 02:21 pm
i also hate your cartoon, of course. it treats israel as a bad thing, but israel isn't a bad thing at all in my opinion. the star of david is even more disconcerting.

it could be a symbol against israel existing as a country because it's part of the flag (i'm in favor of israel existing) or of jews themselves, at which point it's just old-fashioned anti-semitism.

the "israel" problem as i see it isn't that israel exists, nor is the "american" problem as i see it that america exists. we both have problems in our government that cause the world suffering, but that doesn't mean israelis or americans are all bad people.

your cartoon fails to convey any of this, that's why i think it's dangerous. i didn't report it, however. i prefer to lean away from censorship and towards additional notation. it's not always that simple, but i think in this case it's very much that simple.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 02:27 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
i also hate your cartoon, of course. it treats israel as a bad thing, but israel isn't a bad thing at all in my opinion. the star of david is even more disconcerting.

it could be a symbol against israel existing as a country because it's part of the flag (i'm in favor of israel existing) or of jews themselves, at which point it's just old-fashioned anti-semitism.

the "israel" problem as i see it isn't that israel exists, nor is the "american" problem as i see it that america exists. we both have problems in our government that cause the world suffering, but that doesn't mean israelis or americans are all bad people.

your cartoon fails to convey any of this, that's why i think it's dangerous. i didn't report it, however. i prefer to lean away from censorship and towards additional notation. it's not always that simple, but i think in this case it's very much that simple.

Sorry about the cartoon. Once another post has been made, the previous one cannot be edited/deleted. Which is what i would have liked. What do you think about the article above, from Timesonline?

I also agree with you about Israel's existence, however, we've supplied them with nuclear weapons and billions in aid, they can now defend themselves...by providing them unconditional blind military support, we'll be paying a heavy price in the future...as stated in the OP. We'll be fading away, slowly but surely.

Infact by interfering in the Middle East we're decreasing the chance of Israels existence.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 03:35 pm
what hoppened to my new sig line??? Shocked
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 04:04 pm
I have no idea whether it is true or not but I read that Isreal was created because American Jews opposed bringing European Jews to the US. Which is not to say that they might not have had a good reason.

They found somewhere to dump them but not without feeling some responsibility for them.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 05:08 pm
Zippo wrote:
Sorry about the cartoon. Once another post has been made, the previous one cannot be edited/deleted. Which is what i would have liked. What do you think about the article above, from Timesonline?

i thought it was well phrased- and i love when mlk is cited, i think he's one of the greatest men that ever lived (regardless of the fact that like many such people, his personal life was...)

Quote:
I also agree with you about Israel's existence, however, we've supplied them with nuclear weapons and billions in aid, they can now defend themselves...

i don't think the united states should give nukes to ANYONE. for every nuke the u.s. has, it has (relative) control over it. for any we give away, we fail to control them, they can more easily fall into enemy hands. bad policy. for those that believe in deproliferation, it's far easier if we control all the ones we made instead of handing them out like international party favors.

Quote:
by providing them unconditional blind military support, we'll be paying a heavy price in the future...as stated in the OP. We'll be fading away, slowly but surely.

unconditional blind anything is generally a poor idea.

Quote:
Infact by interfering in the Middle East we're decreasing the chance of Israels existence.

you may have a point there. i'm really not much into interfering in the middle easy, except possibly as neutral mediators. i say mediators, not to suggest we're the best for the task, but hypothetically, if we were ever up to it. i think we're horrible mediators, more than ever. we don't cooperate with anyone, we provoke the world and then blame half of our own country when things go poorly.

then again, people that vote for politicians that vote for war are at least partially to blame- that might be more than half our own country. but if no one voted, at least the illusion of having control over our leaders would dissolve, and the world could recognize us as a dictatorship. the first step in healing is admitting the problem. the crisis in the middle east will never heal until israel and palestine stop pointing fingers at everyone else and realize that everyone plays a part.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 05:19 pm
Since Spurious had no idea whether or not that drivel were true, he ought not to have paraded it here. It would only be distantly germane to the topic of whether or not the United States is "fading" as a "superpower."

In fact, European Jews (and in particular, Jews from Russia) began to settle in Palestine in the 19th century, when there was already quite a large Jewish community which had assembled in that portion of the Osmanli empire, especially in Jerusalem and Hebron--and they were routinely supported by donations from Jews outside Palestine, especially Sephardic Jews. A massacre in the 1830s after the Egyptians had overrun Palestine, temporarily wresting control from the Turks, greatly inhibited Jewish migration to Palestine, but also helped to inspire the foundation of internation Zionist organizations--in Europe. In 1878, the first "all Jewish" community was established in Palestine with Zionist funds.

To suggest that the United States created Israel for any reason is ludicrous enough. To suggest that this occurred because American Jews didn't want to see European Jews in the United States reeks of anti-semitic propaganda wedded to anti-American sentiment. American Jews were outraged that FDR's administration would not move to save European Jews before the Second World War, and literally millions of European Jews flooded into the United States after the war. Good thing, too--the United States has benefited as much from Jewish immigrants, if not more, than has been the case with any other immigrant group.

It is also ludicrous to suggest, as our dear anti-semite Zippy would seem to be doing, that the United States' problems all stem from support of Israel. While it certain does us no good, we've shat in our own nest well enough without appealing to dim-witted conspiracy theories based on an allegation of an international Jewish conspiracy.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 05:35 pm
i don't think there's a jewish conspiracy, nor am i as certain as you are that zippo is an anti-semite.

whether i'm right about him or not, i detect a sincerity and honesty in him, my theory being that anti-semites don't apologize for coming off anti-semitic. he says he thinks israel should exist.

"nazi" is a word thrown about very casually, possibly too casually. i hate to see the word "anti-semite" thrown about without the greatest caution, although i do criticize zippo's posts point-for-point when i detect something to criticize.

as for anti-semites, there seems to be an awful lot of "anti-semitic" sentiment in israel, assuming that arabs are semites, too.

other than that, i do appreciate the ample use of facts in your post. people could do that more often when talking about the middle east, instead of everyone trying to paint everyone "more-evil-than-i."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 05:42 pm
I didn't call anyone a "nazi," and i refer to Zippy as an anti-semite because of a long (literally years) familiarity with the content of his many, many threads in which he raves about Jews controlling United States foreign policy and the White House itself. It is only very recently that he has learned to tone down his rhetoric to the point at which he no longer equates all Jews with wild-eyed Zionist supporters of Israeli ethnic-cleansing.

As for the use of facts, as i did not site sources, i would direct the attention of anyone interested to the Jewish Virtual Library, and Jews for Racial and Economic Justice. Both organizations provide reliable source material, whether or not it can reasonably be characterized as critical of Jews or of Zionism. Anyone who does not, in this age of the internet, arm themselves with historical fact when making stupid comments such as Spurious made is a fool not simply for retailing witless stories, but for not having taken the time (and no trouble at all) to check the facts before posting. I was uncertain of the date of the first Zionist settlement in Palestine, for example, but a quick trip to the Jewish Virtual Library cleared that right up.

You, TG, may think what you will of Zippy--i have no doubt at all that he is an anti-semite, and obsessively so.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 05:51 pm
Interesting (US a fading superpower?). I have given some thought to this in the past.

How long does it take for an empire to collapse. Can the demise of great powers of the past provide clues?

I'm no historian thats for sure but it seems to me several hundred years could elapse.

I read somewhere that the demise of all the great empires was proceeded by a hedonistic lifesyle and huge increases in the volume of rubbish being thrown away.

Seems to me to describe the US currently.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 05:57 pm
i appreciate your not expecting me to evaluate him based entirely on your experience.

i only brought up the word "nazi" to compare it to another phrase that is thrown around too often, not because i was implying anyone said it. by the way, are there any old posts of zippo's that would be a good example of his anti-semitism, or have they been deleted by mods?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 06:05 pm
dadpad wrote:
I'm no historian thats for sure but it seems to me several hundred years could elapse.

This is a good point. Varus (or Varo) was destroyed in the Teutoburger Forest circa 9 CE, with three full legions, and it was considered an unprecedent disaster in that "golden age" of Caesar Augustus. Nevertheless, the empire itself survived for almost 1500 more years (Constantinople did not fall to the Turks until 1453), and the empire reached its greatest extent under Septimius Severus, almost 200 years after the disaster in Germany. The Goths sacked Rome in 410 CE, but by then Rome was no longer even the administrative capital of the western portion of the empire, that having been moved to Ravena, which was safe behind a network of naturally occurring salt water marshes.

It took the Roman Empire a thousand years to shrink into political insignificance after the destruction of Varus and his legions proved to the ancient world that Rome was not invincible. The Chinese Empire (a true empire, as founded at the end of the third century BCE) shrank and grew, and endured collapse and fragmentation at the end of the second century CE, and was overrun (very, very slowly) by the Mongols who established the Yuan dynasty. But that foreign dynasty did not survive even a century, and the Ming toppled it and established yet another dynasty which survived for centuries. When the imperial system finally collapsed, the proximate cause was more internal corruption that external forces, although certainly the pressure of western nations accelerated the collapse of a system rotten to the core. Given that the current nation of China is nothing less than the Chinese empire was at its greatest extent (excepting the Yuan/Mongol dynasty), it is hard to see that as any evidence that the collapse of imperial authority meant anything ultimately significant to China as a nation.

The United States is not an imperial power by intent, but rather as a result of the growth of executive power at the expense of Congress. It is doubtful that in terms of being a military "superpower," any American need worry that the power of the United States is collapsing. What is far more likely is that China will eventually eclipse the United States as a military superpower. But as Japan learned, wars can be won without weapons. Japan became much more of a power in the world having lost the Pacific War, but thereafter becoming an economic powerhouse. The United States remains "viable" as a "superpower" because it continues to be the world's largest consumer economy. China will probably, sooner or later, overtake the United States in that regard, and like the Japanese, will likely take to heart the lesson that economic power is more important and effective than military power.

Quote:
I read somewhere that the demise of all the great empires was proceeded by a hedonistic lifesyle and huge increases in the volume of rubbish being thrown away.

Seems to me to describe the US currently.

A favorite theme in many times and in many places, it is, not to offer any personal insult, bullshit. It is predicated upon an assumption that the nations so referred to were "pure" and virtuous at their founding, and degenerated thereafter. History does not support such a contention.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 06:15 pm
Paranoia is driving America, you know your interference/hegemony has made your country unpopular around the world and as a result this current US administration perceive enemies everywhere, they are forever demonizing other world leaders which only has the affect of demonising America in the eyes of the world … Bush and his cohorts have talked up terrorism and demonised Muslims, prior to this presidency the world was a much safer place and Islam was just another religion.
I also believe the US is controlled by Israel and the 6.5 million Jews who live in America.
This is just my opinion and I yearn for the return of the friendly America we used to know.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 06:20 pm
anton wrote:
Paranoia is driving America...

I also believe the US is controlled by Israel and the 6.5 million Jews who live in America...

This is just my opinion and I yearn for the return of the friendly America we used to know.

the three most ironic lines i've ever seen together in one post!
0 Replies