Are there many Canadians here at A2K?

margo

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 01:34 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Methinks margo may be descended from criminals... Razz ..

Well, cav - you may well be right. I'm a good Irish Oz girl. Still taking things - mostly the piss (mick) from Canadians (and other Americans), but also - my time, a nap, the road less travelled!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 01:36 pm
Ceili wrote:
Awww, you're all so nice.

Canadians are almost always right because we study the facts and can prove our side of any point of view, as our illustrious prime minister recently stated...
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
- Prime Minister Jean Chrétien says he'll need evidence that Iraq is a threat to the world before Canada backs a U.S.-led attack.

Ceili

Well, you can't argue with that! I wonder of your Prime Minister could impress that logic on our Prime Minister. He wanted to play games with the big boys! Confused Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 01:37 pm
Good on ya margo! I wish I was back home in Derry too...Wink
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 06:45 pm
CANADIANS
No smiling! We're Canadian

By SHAWN McCARTHY
From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

The Government of Canada says passport photos are no laughing matter: In fact, you're not even supposed to crack a smile.

In a news release yesterday, the Canada Passport Office issued new specifications for passport photos and wants serious faces only. But not too serious. Not actually frowning or scowling or glaring or grimacing.

To get a valid passport, Canadians must now send in two photos with "neutral expressions." That means a closed-mouth, straight-ahead gaze into the camera.

Suzanne Meunier, a spokeswoman with the passport office, said the government is complying with recommendations of the International Civil Aviation Organization, the United Nations agency responsible for aviation issues, aimed at making it easier for security personnel to recognize the passport holder.

The new measure took effect on Aug. 15, but there is a smile amnesty for the next two months to accommodate those who have already filed happy-looking photos or have not heard of the ban on grins.
____________________________________________________________ we do not want smilies! and that's an order ! hbg
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 06:52 pm
Oh yeah....I heard about this and both my passport and driver's licence need renewing....hmm...how's this: Mr. Green
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 08:25 pm
ya know, i read that today, and thought what's gonna happen at the border - cuz i always have a goofy grin goin' on - either cuz i'm goin' somewhere or comin' back - so i'm happy. so i'll be smiling - the pic won't be - and i'll get into trouble!

hmmmm, cav's driver's license coming up? must be getting close to a birthday there, bucko!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 11:01 pm
And we thought our government was crazy! Wink
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 11:14 pm
I am from all over Canada. There's so many nice landscapes, i can't decide where to stop and settle down. I've always loved the mountains though. Canada Rocks!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 11:34 pm
Welcome to A2K Stand up for pessimism, but I think we'll have to come up with a shorter moniker, at least as a nickname.

I saw the whole unsmilely thing on the news tonight and thought it was a bad joke. Typical, a government with no sense of humour.
Picture it now, Canadians with a stiff upper lip, how will the Brits stand the competition.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 08:27 am
welcome PESSIMISM : with a moniker like that you must be a true CANADIAN AND NOT JUST AN IMPORT LIKE MYSELF ! we've been living at the eastern end of lake ontario since '56 and really do like it here - 15 minute walk to the lake; couldn't be better. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 08:36 am
with our prime-minister to be (mr. martin) being a senior citizen (only in canada you say ? pity!), there is ample new material for comedians. the latest joke i heard this morning is, that he will turn the official residence of the prime minister into a seniors' residence (bingo once a week, entertainment by local church-choir on sunday evenings). HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN ! i think i should ask for the job of governor-general; it's usually a job for a somewhwt more experienced person - i should fit in beautifully. hbg
0 Replies

EileenM

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 11:48 pm
hey so long as there's bingo. whats canada without bingo?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:24 am
I have seen violent Canadians!

When we were in Quebec City and Montreal they werre letting a few of the 70's separatist bombers out of prison - they had served their time.

'Twas odd to be reminded of that time, and see the harmless looking folk (they killed people, as I recall?) walking out of prison.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:15 am
ahhhh - you look harmless enough, MsD. but we've learned.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:25 am
As a Canadian, one generation removed, can I post here ehBeth? Awaiting the protocol.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:28 am
It's only them there furry critters from Oztralia who causes problems in the threads--OTHERS are welcome . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:45 am
I have heard that when bunnies are in pain they let out a blood-curdling grrrrrrrrrr.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:52 am
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:57 am
Weak and tepid, wabbit. Try harder.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:44 am
Now that's not very canajun, Ms. Sargasso. Try it with a bit more of an oot and aboot sorta tone to yer voice.
0 Replies