WTF Kiwis are not australian

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 02:14 am
margo wrote:
I can't believe I missed this entire erudite discussion! Shocked

and then there's the netball!

It's the quick and the dead around here.....
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:48 pm
lol well said
0 Replies

Waiheke

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 05:05 pm
New Zealand
New Zealand is an individual country, has no links as far a government with Australia.

Sports-wise the Ozzies are our greatest rivals.

We do allow them to come and live here freely just as we can go and live there.

We have our own prime-minister, our own governor general ( yes we both acknowledge the Queen as our sovereign).

We have different laws, different taxes, in other words, New Zealanders are just that, or Kiwis if you want a local name for us.

Australian, or Ozzies, are a different breed entirely, the British part of them was shipped there in convict ships long ago. (that is a Kiwi joke)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 08:44 pm
Kiwi joke? Sorry - that does not compute Twisted Evil
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 04:57 pm
Re: New Zealand
Waiheke wrote:

Australian, or Ozzies, are a different breed entirely, the British part of them was shipped there in convict ships long ago.

Or, if you examine it through more humanist eyes. Australians are descended from poor people who fought for their survival against a society with a rigid class structure that had no universal education, workers rights or universal suffrage. They were punished for stealing food by being sent to the other side of the planet and they built a nation that does have universal education, workers rights and universal suffrage.

New Zealanders on the other hand are descended from the younger sons of British landed gentry who could not expect to inherit any land because of their patriarchal inheritance codes. Despite all their advantages they built a nation not dissimilar to Australia.

To this day Australians tend to distrust authority and give respect only when it is earnt. Their greatest sporting rivals are whoever is world champion in any given sport at any given time (or whoever's second best if Australia is the world champion).

This is not an ozzie joke.

Hi Waiheke, welcome 2 A2K, 'ay.
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 02:46 am
hingehead wrote:
Waiheke wrote:

Australian, or Ozzies, are a different breed entirely, the British part of them was shipped there in convict ships long ago.

Or, if you examine it through more humanist eyes. Australians are descended from poor people who fought for their survival against a society with a rigid class structure that had no universal education, workers rights or universal suffrage. They were punished for stealing food by being sent to the other side of the planet and they built a nation that does have universal education, workers rights and universal suffrage.

New Zealanders on the other hand are descended from the younger sons of British landed gentry who could not expect to inherit any land because of their patriarchal inheritance codes. Despite all their advantages they built a nation not dissimilar to Australia.

To this day Australians tend to distrust authority and give respect only when it is earnt. Their greatest sporting rivals are whoever is world champion in any given sport at any given time (or whoever's second best if Australia is the world champion).

Nah Aussies are just convicts mate and New Zealanders will always be there greatest rivals as we are the best at all sports we put our mind too,

This is not a Kiwi joke
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 05:34 am
[quote="Dartboy
Nah Aussies are just convicts mate and New Zealanders will always be there greatest rivals as we are the best at all sports we put our mind too,

This is not a Kiwi joke[/quote]

Clearly you just haven't put your minds to any recently. Very Happy
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 08:34 pm
old europe wrote:
Meh.

Speaking of continents... look at this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/Plates_tect2_en.svg/798px-Plates_tect2_en.svg.png

Seems like half of New Zealand (the upper bit, speaking from a northerhemispheriocentric point of view) is part of the Australian plate, while the lower bit is part of the Pacific plate.

Funny.

Also makes me kind of hungry.

Wouldn't the Nazca drivers drown in the ocean?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 08:45 pm
hingehead wrote:
Waiheke wrote:

Well, that is an interesting perspective. Never knew that about kiwis.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:32 am
ain't no evidence in Kiwiland thet they's descended from some gentry!
0 Replies

Tigershark

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 06:37 pm
This petty rivalry thing between Australasians is a bit pathetic.

And I must admit that Kiwis are far worse at perpetuating it.

Making sweeping statements about the ancestors of European NZers and Aussies is ludicrously meaningless.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 07:00 pm
Where would we (aussies) have been if not for the kiwi gunners at Long Tan. Worth their weight those men.

161 Battery and D company, Anzacs together.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 08:23 pm
Tigershark wrote:

Making sweeping statements about the ancestors of European NZers and Aussies is ludicrously meaningless.

I think that was a joke.

I thought it was ALL pretty much a joke?

I think the only time it was ever very serious was when whatshisname (the Australian cricket captain) ordered his bowler (another whatshisname) to do a bad bowl of some sort at the very end of a cricket game, so there was absolutely no chance of New Zilluin winning the match (they musta been very close.)

THAT nearly led to war.

Their names (only I can't remermber them) shall be remembered forever in infamy in history.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 08:54 pm
They were 2 of the 3 Chappell brothers; Greg Chappell as captain, and Trevor Chappell as bowler.

They're also remembered at the Adelaide Cricket Ground - and they've named stand after the Chappells, and their grandfather, Victor Richardson.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 05:02 pm
Tigershark wrote:

It's OK Tiger, it's all just jokes - we don't seriously consider you any sort of competition. :wink:
0 Replies

Tigershark

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 12:42 am
dadpad wrote:
Where would we (aussies) have been if not for the kiwi gunners at Long Tan. Worth their weight those men.

Don't know much about Long Tan, but the Anzac legends are worth remembering.

Were you there, dadpad?

I always remember being shown my great grandfather's name on the wall in the Auckland War Memorial Museum. He died of wounds received in 1918 in France. Still have a photo album of his that has many interesting shots taken on the troopship, in Egypt, then France.
0 Replies

Tigershark

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 12:45 am
dlowan wrote:
Tigershark wrote:

I think that was a joke.

I think the only time it was ever very serious was when whatshisname (the Australian cricket captain) ordered his bowler (another whatshisname) to do a bad bowl of some sort at the very end of a cricket game, so there was absolutely no chance of New Zilluin winning the match (they musta been very close.)

THAT nearly led to war.

Their names (only I can't remermber them) shall be remembered forever in infamy in history.

Yeah, it is just a joke, but can border on immature at times.

I broke up a few fights in London that were just munted Kiwis and Ozzies having a poke for the mere sake of where they came from. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 12:57 am
Tigershark wrote:
dadpad wrote:

Don't know much about Long Tan, but the Anzac legends are worth remembering.

Were you there, dadpad?

no I want I was much too young. google it long tan & Newzealand its a good read.
There was this rivalry thing going on even then. 161 battery worked non stop for 4 hours in the rain shelling as close as 10 m to aussie positions. When this ( working so damned hard for so long in the rain) was made mention of a few Aussie infantry dryly said... so?... they're used to that.

The Kiwis went in the back door at Galipoli.
So?... they're used to that.

But seriously were glad you came along for the ride cuz.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 12:59 am
Tigershark wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Tigershark wrote:

I think that was a joke.

THAT nearly led to war.

Yeah, it is just a joke, but can border on immature at times.

I broke up a few fights in London that were just munted Kiwis and Ozzies having a poke for the mere sake of where they came from. Rolling Eyes

Really?

Patriotism is dumb.

Does munted mean drunk, or just demented????
0 Replies

Tigershark

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 01:31 am
Yeah, munted is drunk.

Nationalism is dumber than patriotism.
0 Replies