WTF Kiwis are not australian

hingehead

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 12:37 am
roger wrote:
Thank you, hingehead. That's everything I wanted to know about them. Possibly more.

We aim to deluge.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 12:39 am
Here, Dag, is a pretty descriptive link, but it only will add to your perplexity :

Continents
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 12:49 am
dagmaraka wrote:
in official geography, whatever that is, what CONTINENT does Australia the country belong to?

what CONTINENT does New Zealand belong to? I get that when they are called the same, that might rub some people the wrong way, but that don't make it officially wrong (emotionally maybe, but that's a separate subject).

Kinda like 'America' - that's the other way around. America is the whole continent but it's also how most of the world refers to USA colloquially.
I'm sure plenty of people hate that,too, but oh well. It's not going anywhere it seems.

So, I'm wondering...
If there was a rare bird that only lived in Slovakia, it would be correct to also call it a European bird, right? Since it's on the continent of Europe as well.

But if a Kiwi lives in New Zealand, it is also... what... Oceanian? Or Australian (the continent)? Is there any consensus on the official name of the continent? I remember being always taught it's Australia. Doing quick search now that's what I see most often, followed by Australia and New Zealand sort of slapped onto the side on some maps of continents, even though it's not listed among 7 continents when they are written out. Oceania does appear on maps, but not among the names of continents. I'm confused.

The thing with the Kiwi bird is that it is flightless and since austrilia is roughly 2500km(im not sure on that but its close) I dont think its the same as "If there was a rare bird that only lived in Slovakia, it would be correct to also call it a European bird, right? Since it's on the continent of Europe as well." Do you see what I mean
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 12:52 am
Dartboy wrote:
since austrilia is roughly 2500km..

Now some austrilians will want to kill you.. Very Happy
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 01:30 am
About a year ago, I was holidaying in the South Island of NZ. I visited a few cities/towns and read a newspaper in each of them. What amazed me was that in each of the newspapers I read, there was a constant and large dose of bagging Australia....now some of it was good natured, and some of it was...well, I'm sure kiwis would say 'telling it like it is', which I couldn't debate...the bemusing thing as I said, was the sheer amount of it.

Laughing I can only put it down to little neighbour syndrome, as well as some deserved criticism...which must be why they all come to live over here :wink:
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 01:33 am
Dartboy wrote:
The thing with the Kiwi bird is that it is flightless and since austrilia is roughly 2500km(im not sure on that but its close) I dont think its the same as "If there was a rare bird that only lived in Slovakia, it would be correct to also call it a European bird, right? Since it's on the continent of Europe as well." Do you see what I mean

Yes I do, but I believe you're wrong here. Let's say our Slovak bird is genetically mutated. Has no wings, no legs even. Cannot move anywhere, lives only in an area of 5 square km. It would STILL be a European bird, because Slovakia is on European soil.

Thusly, a Kiwi would STILL be .........-ian (insert the name of the continent on the dotted line).

Unless you are advocating some exceptionalism for New Zealand (why not, don't we all think our homelands are exceptional? Well, I don't, but I don't count- I'm a lousy patriot).
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 01:37 am
Francis wrote:
Dartboy wrote:

Now some austrilians will want to kill you.. Very Happy

I think he meant to say 2500km away.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 01:51 am
Wilso, I think he meant Australia.. Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 02:07 am
Dartboy wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
in official geography, whatever that is, what CONTINENT does Australia the country belong to?

what CONTINENT does New Zealand belong to? I get that when they are called the same, that might rub some people the wrong way, but that don't make it officially wrong (emotionally maybe, but that's a separate subject).

Kinda like 'America' - that's the other way around. America is the whole continent but it's also how most of the world refers to USA colloquially.
I'm sure plenty of people hate that,too, but oh well. It's not going anywhere it seems.

So, I'm wondering...
If there was a rare bird that only lived in Slovakia, it would be correct to also call it a European bird, right? Since it's on the continent of Europe as well.

But if a Kiwi lives in New Zealand, it is also... what... Oceanian? Or Australian (the continent)? Is there any consensus on the official name of the continent? I remember being always taught it's Australia. Doing quick search now that's what I see most often, followed by Australia and New Zealand sort of slapped onto the side on some maps of continents, even though it's not listed among 7 continents when they are written out. Oceania does appear on maps, but not among the names of continents. I'm confused.

I think Australia the continent belongs to Oceania or Australasia.....though I think Craven convinced me that some people use Australia to cover the entire entity. I honestly do not know how commonly they do so...but Funk and Wagnalls sure doesn't cut it for me! It would be interesting if some geography types came and talked about it. I truly claim no real knowledge.

I had honestly never heard of such a useage, but Craven's research is usually good, so that is likely my lack of current geographical terminology. The thing is, that useage is obviously little known in the area concerned, and causes some people offence.

I was largely amused when I first saw it, and commented on Craven's ignorance, and was then interested by the explanation, which was new information.

I hardly see it as a big deal, but I think it unreasonable to be so dismissive to people about their reactions to what is seen to be ignorance, and patronising nomenclature, just as non USA people sometimes react to meaning only the USA when you say America.

I think that, given there is a perfectly good alternative name (two, in fact) that it was somewhat ignorant to use Australia, but certainly not something worth being as rude as Dartboy was about!!!

The kiwis (birds) being put under Australia as a general heading is utterly hilarious to we natives, and clearly a cause for concern for a number of kiwis (the people).

So....I hear that Australia is an accurate general heading, but I think one of the others would be a lot clearer, and cause less consternation. Given my dismissal of nationalism and patriotism, I have no leg to stand on re being personally irked, but I confess to a wee twinge of irkedness about it early on.

However, since we have Australia, and are likely stuck with it, the odd denizen of the south will be annoyed/amused/scornful from time to time.

My only reason for coming back to this discussion is that I think this irkedness is not all that unreasonable, and I think it unreasonable to be completely dismissive of it. The manner of expressing it on this occasion did, however, leabe a lot to be desired.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 02:12 am
Hello, Dartboy, very nice to meet you! Very Happy

Can you elighten me? Something I've been curious about for some time now .... why do so many New Zealanders want to become Australians? Honestly, you can't walk down the street here without falling over a New Zealander (or 4) these days! Why, why, why are the Kiwis doing this migration in such droves? New Zealand seems such a good place to live to me .... I'm perplexed. Especially given the raw deal many workers receive these days in the land of Oz. What's it all about, then?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 02:24 am
More for Daggles:

OE is citing sources suggesting New Zealand IS part of a different continent, BTW...Zealandia.

To contradict myself, I can see that calling the "Australia" Forum Australia kind of makes sense, because how many people are gonna know what Oceania is?

But Australasia is pretty comprehensible.

Seems like we don't know what to call ourselves!

:wink:
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 02:25 am
that's rather odd to me, dlowan. I'm not advocating that New Zealand must belong to Australian continent... but it's such a tiny country that it is somewhat ridiculous (to me) to claim a separate continent. Think how huge is Asia or the Americas.... I know I know, continental plates and whatnot, still it strikes me (from here) a silly dispute.

I get that these are sensitive issues for some. I don't care either way, but it's fascinating to watch.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 02:35 am
dagmaraka wrote:
that's rather odd to me, dlowan. I'm not advocating that New Zealand must belong to Australian continent... but it's such a tiny country that it is somewhat ridiculous (to me) to claim a separate continent. Think how huge is Asia or the Americas.... I know I know, continental plates and whatnot, still it strikes me (from here) a silly dispute.

I get that these are sensitive issues for some. I don't care either way, but it's fascinating to watch.

Yeah, Oz kind of fills in our region a role similar to the USA in the world.

You know...the powerhouse economy, the big place, the military power...lots of folk in the region move here.

However, same complaints as re the US: arrogant, ignorant, tries to push people around, crass culture that tries to dominate, threatening when it doesn't get what it wants...opportunistic and immoral (see the Australian role re East Timor, before the UN action which we provided the military for...we are now busy exploiting their oil for insufficient recompense...sigh)

There's the same thing re military "might" (a VERY relative term here...!!!!!) too.....they want our help, but resent it when it comes.

Thus, the region is very critical of us, and very resentful.

So it goes.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 03:17 am
hamburger wrote:

do i dare ask what those "down under" call those "up above" Question :wink:
hbg

arsholes usually suffices.

Interestingly enough, my daughter says many of her international friends cannot distinguish between a NZ accent and an Australian accent.

I think changing the preamble of this forum to remove the word Kiwi from its current position would go some way to soothing the debate.
I can imagine Tasweigans being a little put out by being listed as a separate interest to the rest of Aussie as well. Us Victorians are pissed that there is no mention of Melbourne which is an altogether much nicer city than any of the other places mentioned.

Do you like kangaroos, Tasmanian devils and koalas? Interested in kiwis or sheep rooting? Want to learn about Perth, The Alice, Hobart, Canberra or Sydney? Here's the place to discuss all things Aussie or Kiwi or any of the other countries usually associated with these great and outstanding nations.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 03:24 am
dadpad wrote:
Us Victorians are pissed that there is no mention of Melbourne which is an altogether much nicer city than any of the other places mentioned.

Do you like kangaroos, Tasmanian devils and koalas? Interested in kiwis or sheep rooting? Want to learn about Perth, The Alice, Hobart, Canberra or Sydney? Here's the place to discuss all things Aussie or Kiwi or any of the other countries usually associated with these great and outstanding nations.

YEAH!!!!!

(Thanks for pointing that out, dadpad! Never noticed that omission before. A bloody outrage! Evil or Very Mad )

Go Victoria!!!

:wink:
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 03:27 am
Im going to try and reply to everyone here so bear with me if I make a mistake.

Francis:
Dartboy wrote:
"Now some austrilians will want to kill you.. "
**** happens okay, I made a spelling mistake, so what my bad, want me to edit it?

Vikorr: Yes our newspapers and newstations often bag Australia, we view it more as friendly abuse more than GRRR abuse, bit wierd I know but when it comes down to it, we would always back Australia in a fight

Dagmaraka: I still think its more a New Zealand bird than a "continent" bird as we are so far away and it is really a NZ bird but I totally see what you mean and understand where you are coming from.

Dlowan: Australasia I see as both NZ and Aussie but I never really meant the continent part of this post, I was meaning the countries, that its our bird not yours. I would probably preferr Australasia as a general heading and imply that its both about Aussie and NZ but hey, I cant always have what I want. Also How am I being rude? Just out of interest, I mean this post as a bit of a joke but I was totally surprised when I saw the replies and the pages.

Msolga:Sure, New Zealanders want to become Aussies, you are a huge country with 5 times our amount in POP and offer alot more than we do, New Zealander often move to Aussie to avoid paying their student load and also your workforce it loads better, its often on our News and I totally agree with it, I will probably move to Aussie or England once I finish school because we have appauling standards in NZ

Dadpad: Nice point, I love it

Hope that covers it all, please tell me if something doesn't fit as Im open to your views
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 03:31 am
Dartboy wrote:

Shocked

You didn't read the preamble I wrote did you?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 03:33 am
Dartboy : - You just failed to see the jocous (and the joyous) part of my posts...
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 03:36 am
dadpad wrote:
Dartboy wrote:

Shocked

You didn't read the preamble I wrote did you?

What the sheepshaggers and stuff do you mean?

And fancis, sorry if I didnt, its been a long day and its proably effecting the way I think, orry
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 03:37 am
Dartboy wrote:
Msolga:Sure, New Zealanders want to become Aussies, you are a huge country with 5 times our amount in POP and offer alot more than we do, New Zealander often move to Aussie to avoid paying their student load and also your workforce it loads better, its often on our News and I totally agree with it, I will probably move to Aussie or England once I finish school because we have appauling standards in NZ

May I ask what you're studying, Dartboy? Just curious.

All this migrating away from home. It's rather sad, really. Must have a huge impact on the country.
0 Replies