WTF Kiwis are not australian

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 11:27 pm
Are these the puns Gargamel is talking about on Dys's "cliques" thread?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 11:47 pm
dlowan wrote:

No.

That would be over here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 12:12 am
old europe wrote:
dlowan wrote:

No.

That would be over here.

Why did you have to send me there?
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 12:45 am
One positive thing that I would like to mention about Kiwis, is that they seem to be very eco-friendly.
Why, only last week they offered, in an attempt to cut down on aviation fuel, to drop off the Aussies on their way home after their early exits from the Rugby World Cup. Very Happy
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 02:49 am
Doowop wrote:
One positive thing that I would like to mention about Kiwis, is that they seem to be very eco-friendly.
Why, only last week they offered, in an attempt to cut down on aviation fuel, to drop off the Aussies on their way home after their early exits from the Rugby World Cup. Very Happy

Hahaha very funny mate, very funny
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 05:00 pm
I had the pleasure of watching the Aussies thrash the Kiwis in the rugby league last weekend. Oh, did I mention I was the only Aussie at the party? Heheheheheheheh. Laughing
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 09:25 pm
The only Aussie at a party on the sunshine coast? What's happened to this country?
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 03:52 pm
the league was played in wellington mate but I dont care if aussie beat us in the league, I dont like it, I played for a year but found rugby union a much bigger challenge
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 05:06 pm
Dartboy wrote:
the league was played in wellington mate but I dont care if aussie beat us in the league, I dont like it, I played for a year but found rugby union a much bigger challenge

I don't want the grapes, said the Fox...they're sour.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 12:06 am
Dartboy wrote:

Hi DB

Clearly you are in the majority - union is much more widely played around the world, but I would have thought league would be more of a challenge. Two less players and a lot less stoppages.

What would you say makes union more challenging than league? I'm not taking the piss, I really want to know and because you've played both I respect your opinion.

I was too much of girl for those games. Played hockey and soccer and then one season of AFL - now that was a challenge....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 07:42 am
Builders back. I like the builder bloke.

I was pruning once with a kiwi bloke when it started to rain. we very quickly got quite damp.

He said "jeez your rain over here is wet!"

I just rolled my eyes and said "sweet as cuz"
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 09:38 pm
hingehead wrote:
The only Aussie at a party on the sunshine coast? What's happened to this country?

The party was at Pinkenba, and the place is loaded with Kiwis. Shocked

It's part of a take-over bid for sure.

:wink:

Hey Dadpad........thanks for the thumbs-up. It's six months since I've had access to this internet thingummyjig.
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 02:20 am
hingehead wrote:
Dartboy wrote:

Hi DB

Clearly you are in the majority - union is much more widely played around the world, but I would have thought league would be more of a challenge. Two less players and a lot less stoppages.

What would you say makes union more challenging than league? I'm not taking the piss, I really want to know and because you've played both I respect your opinion.

I was too much of girl for those games. Played hockey and soccer and then one season of AFL - now that was a challenge....

Well for starters, the 2 extra mean its harder to score and break the line, there are more set plays, we have rucks/breakdowns meaning forwards have to comit to protect/steal ball, we have placement kicks to get a lineout which has setplays of it, in our scrums we push and move meaning we can score by pushing the scrum over the line, in league they have a defence line, anyone tackles really, in union we have jobs for our position, Im a flanker meaning when they have the ball I follow it and tackle and try to steal it while the backs wait for me to get the ball to give to them. If ive forgotten any add them in guys but I think thats the basics
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 03:16 am
Thanks for the expo DB. I'd always seen men in their mid 40s playing 5th grade union (usually in the forwards), never seen that in league, so I assumed it was much tougher on the body - not that that necessarily makes in a more challenging sport.
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 04:15 am
hingehead wrote:
Thanks for the expo DB. I'd always seen men in their mid 40s playing 5th grade union (usually in the forwards), never seen that in league, so I assumed it was much tougher on the body - not that that necessarily makes in a more challenging sport.

League can pull off hits that you will feel in a years time, union not so much but it still comes round so times. check these videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuUFL1xis7s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGRZBPTlHM

Those are the hits I live for, If I made one hit like that in a game I'd die happy
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 06:35 am
Chabal has a touch of Charles Manson about the eyes.

No way I'm calling him a Cheese eating surrender monkey
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 02:37 am
dlowan wrote:

I think Australia the continent belongs to Oceania or Australasia.....though I think Craven convinced me that some people use Australia to cover the entire entity. I honestly do not know how commonly they do so...but Funk and Wagnalls sure doesn't cut it for me! It would be interesting if some geography types came and talked about it. I truly claim no real knowledge.

I had honestly never heard of such a useage, but Craven's research is usually good, so that is likely my lack of current geographical terminology. The thing is, that useage is obviously little known in the area concerned, and causes some people offence.

I was largely amused when I first saw it, and commented on Craven's ignorance, and was then interested by the explanation, which was new information.

I hardly see it as a big deal, but I think it unreasonable to be so dismissive to people about their reactions to what is seen to be ignorance, and patronising nomenclature, just as non USA people sometimes react to meaning only the USA when you say America.

I think that, given there is a perfectly good alternative name (two, in fact) that it was somewhat ignorant to use Australia, but certainly not something worth being as rude as Dartboy was about!!!

There's no real authority on any of this, hell you can't even get everyone to agree on how many continents there are, much less what the best name would be.

The 7-continent model favored by Western cultures is only one of several continent models, Japan and many other countries prefer the 6-continent model for example and there are other 5-continent and 4-continent models.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 03:24 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I think Australia the continent belongs to Oceania or Australasia.....though I think Craven convinced me that some people use Australia to cover the entire entity. I honestly do not know how commonly they do so...but Funk and Wagnalls sure doesn't cut it for me! It would be interesting if some geography types came and talked about it. I truly claim no real knowledge.

I had honestly never heard of such a useage, but Craven's research is usually good, so that is likely my lack of current geographical terminology. The thing is, that useage is obviously little known in the area concerned, and causes some people offence.

I was largely amused when I first saw it, and commented on Craven's ignorance, and was then interested by the explanation, which was new information.

I hardly see it as a big deal, but I think it unreasonable to be so dismissive to people about their reactions to what is seen to be ignorance, and patronising nomenclature, just as non USA people sometimes react to meaning only the USA when you say America.

I think that, given there is a perfectly good alternative name (two, in fact) that it was somewhat ignorant to use Australia, but certainly not something worth being as rude as Dartboy was about!!!

There's no real authority on any of this, hell you can't even get everyone to agree on how many continents there are, much less what the best name would be.

The 7-continent model favored by Western cultures is only one of several continent models, Japan and many other countries prefer the 6-continent model for example and there are other 5-continent and 4-continent models.

Yeah.....dut.kiwis.still.arem't.Australiam.

:wink:
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 01:13 am
Well it isn't, kiwis from from New Zealand, damn aussie fools,
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 06:38 pm
I can't believe I missed this entire erudite discussion! Shocked

and then there's the netball!
0 Replies