Recommend good HBO series?

Thomas

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 10:37 am
@dlowan,
One of the things you Ausssians aren't seeing---and that I didn't see back when I was in Germany---is how the advertisements for those shows are works of art in themselves. Take Showtime's ad campaign for Season 2 of Nurse Jackie, for example. For several weeks, they advertised in the New York Subway, with ads that blended municiple be-nice-in-the-subway themes with Jackies bossy personality. Like, "Nurse Jackie says: 'Stand for something---offer your seat to an older person!'". I loved those ads.
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 28 Jun, 2010 03:30 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
n season 1, episode 1, Celia has a teenage daughter, Quinn, who is also Silas's girlfriend. She might have become a major character, but "left for Mexico" after the pilot and never came back.

dlowan wrote:
She'll be bavk.

Thomas wrote:
Quinn will be back? I'm at the end of season 4 now, and she hasn't come back yet.

Ooooooooooh!
dlowan

Mon 28 Jun, 2010 07:00 pm
@Thomas,
Did Quinn just appear?
Thomas

Tue 29 Jun, 2010 08:45 am
@dlowan,
How'd you guess?

Season 5 is not quite as good as the earlier seasons in my ever so humble opinion. I can't say it's bad, either. But if current trends continue, season 6 will be a standard American sitcom. I think they reached their peak after the first third of season 1, kept it up until the middle of season 4, and now they're resting on their laurels a bit. Let's see how they do when they come back in August.
dlowan

Fri 2 Jul, 2010 08:45 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

How'd you guess?

Season 5 is not quite as good as the earlier seasons in my ever so humble opinion. I can't say it's bad, either. But if current trends continue, season 6 will be a standard American sitcom. I think they reached their peak after the first third of season 1, kept it up until the middle of season 4, and now they're resting on their laurels a bit. Let's see how they do when they come back in August.

Oh...I have only seen up to season 4.

0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 2 Jul, 2010 08:48 pm
@Thomas,
Is Treme the correct spelling? I am searching for it, and nothing comes up.

Edit: Nothing comes up in AUSTRALIAN sites.

Curses.
caribou

Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:17 pm
@dlowan,
treme just finished it's first season. I doubt it's out on dvd yet.
dlowan

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 03:09 am
@caribou,
It isn't here at any rate.

I downloaded the first episode from iTunes, though.

need to get it onto a disk as I have no sound on my computer at present. Goddam Bose speakers blew days after their goddam warranty ran out!!!

It isn't an HBO series, but I am watching Twin Peaks at present...I never saw it when it was actually being broadcast...and I have to say am greatly enjoying it!!

Well, so far...I have watched the pilot and I am half way through episode one.

Wonderfully Lynchy, without being too Lynchy.
0 Replies

Thomas

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:43 pm
Just started watching Six Feet Under, because its creator is the same as True Blood's. The man is a Genius! (He did American Beauty, too.)
dlowan

Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:51 am
@Thomas,
love it!!!
Thomas

Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:41 am
@dlowan,
I'm up to Season 1, episode 6 now, and I'm developing a crush on Brenda. Please tell me they won't axe her at the end of season 1!
dlowan

Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:30 am
@Thomas,
Brenda's cool.

They don't axe her at the end of season 1. Much.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:22 pm
Durham County is a good Canadian series on HBO. Not many episodes, though, six, only, in the first season and in the second. It appears to be/have been available in Austrailia on ABC2, if that makes sense.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/tv--radio/tv-reviews/tuesday-tv-durham-county/2010/01/30/1264268102538.html
0 Replies

Thomas

Sat 28 Aug, 2010 10:42 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
But I still wonder if there are buried treasures....

One of my Six Feet Under pushes a series titled Carnivale. Judging by the trailer, it's set during the Great depression, looks a little like Grapes of Wrath, and seems to contain a lot of mystic and Christian motives. I'm not sure I'd be interested based on the outline, but hey, it's HBO!

Has any of you guys seen it?
patiodog

Sat 28 Aug, 2010 12:03 pm
@Thomas,
Watched a bit of it, never kept up, may watch it on disk at some point.

Great look, atmosphere, costumes, and menagerie of freaks. Increasingly wild and outlandish storylines -- I think the supernatural element started a little bit in the uncanny and moved into a sort of horrific Dust Bowl magical realism as the series went along. I suspect you'll love it or it will be "meh."
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 28 Aug, 2010 12:03 pm
@Thomas,
Yes....I loved it....all of it.

But it was pretty doom laden and portentous with religious stuff going on.

Thomas

Sat 28 Aug, 2010 12:46 pm
@dlowan,
Would you be interested, by any chance, in a new Joisey mob series on HBO, set in prohibition-era Atlantic City and directed by Martin Scorsese? No? I didn't think you would. Otherwise I would have pointed you to Broadwalk Empire, which premiers just when you come to the States.
patiodog

Sat 28 Aug, 2010 12:53 pm
@Thomas,
Looking forward to Boardwalk Empire...
0 Replies

eoe

Sat 28 Aug, 2010 01:32 pm
@Thomas,
I started watching it and really got into it but then they started in a direction of evil and I had to let it go.
0 Replies

squinney

Sat 28 Aug, 2010 02:14 pm
@Thomas,
Bear and I loved Carnival. I think they could have continued it another season for finality. The ending left me hanging. Not sure if that was the point or if other projects / finances took priority.