Recommend good HBO series?

Thomas

Sat 28 Aug, 2010 02:15 pm
Dammit guys, now you made me curious!

And, nice to see you again, eoe! I haven't run into you in a while.
0 Replies

Thomas

Sat 28 Aug, 2010 02:17 pm
@squinney,
Somewhere on the web (Wikipedia?), they said it was originally scheduled as a six-season series, but viewership faded away so they cut it short.
0 Replies

patiodog

Sun 5 Sep, 2010 02:22 am
Late at night, can't sleep, watching the first episodes of Six Feet Under. I don't think I' ve ever seen them before. Must have started watching later. Forgot what an unusual show it was.
dlowan

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 04:59 am
@patiodog,
It's great
0 Replies

Thomas

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 08:46 pm
Broadwalk Empire premiered today. It's a mob series, set in prohibition-era Atlantic City, and revolving around its corrupt treasurer Nucky Thompson. It's created by Martin Scorsese and the Sopranos' Terence Winter.

Did anyone else catch the first episode! I loved it! If HBO keeps up the series' quality, it's going to be as good as Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and True Blood.
mckenzie

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 11:44 pm
@Thomas,
It premiered here on Sunday. Caught it! Loved it! Looking forward to the next episode.

After one episode, it's already been renewed for another season.
0 Replies

dlowan

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:51 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Broadwalk Empire premiered today. It's a mob series, set in prohibition-era Atlantic City, and revolving around its corrupt treasurer Nucky Thompson. It's created by Martin Scorsese and the Sopranos' Terence Winter.

Did anyone else catch the first episode! I loved it! If HBO keeps up the series' quality, it's going to be as good as Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and True Blood.

Yay....good new series!!!!!!
0 Replies

patiodog

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 05:30 am
@Thomas,
A-yup, caught it. Will continue to watch -- pretty good opening.

Oddly enough, I thought the credits were terrible, and I've grown accustomed to seeing the credits of a series as reflecting an overall artistic vision (e.g., Six Feet Under, the Wire, the Sopranos, Trueblood, Breaking Bad). Hopefully the unimaginative and visually uninspiring credits don't presage a series that runs out oomph after a couple of episodes.

I'm personally excited that Bored to Death is coming back, but it's probably too dumb for most folks here.......
eoe

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 07:36 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

I'm personally excited that Bored to Death is coming back, but it's probably too dumb for most folks here.......

I'm gonna try to start watching that. I've seen bits and pieces and Ted Dansen is a hoot!!

I watched Boardwalk on Sunday. I wasn't too impressed but I'll give it another chance to grab me.

Anyone here watch Hung? I got hooked just on the premise and it's been very good.
patiodog

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 05:49 pm
@eoe,
Watch Hung periodically when I stumble across it, but never sequentially. Some funny bits. And I like to play "Spot the Unsubtle Phallic Symbol."
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 07:27 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:
Anyone here watch Hung? I got hooked just on the premise and it's been very good.

I agree. Nice pun, too!
0 Replies

eoe

Fri 24 Sep, 2010 07:12 am
The Life and Times of Tim is a crudely animated series that's often pretty funny.
0 Replies

JPB

Fri 13 May, 2011 03:13 pm
HBO just announced that Treme will be renewed for a third season next year. This is GREAT news for the city and the rest of us who wish we were there.
Thomas

Fri 13 May, 2011 03:55 pm
@JPB,
Yes it is!
0 Replies

Thomas

Fri 13 May, 2011 03:57 pm
Anyone watching Game of Thrones? I haven't really gotten into it yet. The constellations seem a little synthetic and drawing-board-y to me.
JPB

Fri 13 May, 2011 04:29 pm
@Thomas,
I saw the trailer and decided that it wasn't my cuppa.
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 13 May, 2011 04:32 pm
@Thomas,
Nope.

What's new and great?
djjd62

Fri 13 May, 2011 04:33 pm
@Thomas,
i grabbed a couple of episodes but haven't watched them yet
0 Replies

Thomas

Wed 1 Jun, 2011 08:03 pm
I just finished watching, not an HBO series, but an HBO documentary titled How to die in Oregon. As many of you will know, Oregon legalized assisted suicide a few years ago. The documentary follows a number of Oregon families as they try, each in their own way, to support a member with a terminal illness. It also follows a numbers of activists from the state of Washington trying to get an Oregon-like assisted-suicide law enacted for themselves.

Although serious, the protagonists' final trip turned to be a lot less depressing than I'd thought. And although the producers clearly sympathized with the death-with-dignity movement, they also talked to its opponents without making them look like idiots, and did point out some abuses that happened in the Oregon bureaucracy. (They denied a cancer patient chemotherapy, but graciously did offer to pay for his assisted suicide.) This movie made me think a lot. HBO outdid themselves once again.
dlowan

Wed 1 Jun, 2011 09:17 pm
@Thomas,
I'll look for that.

My closest friend is trying to get passed a precursor bill to legal euthanasia, so I'll try to get it for her.
0 Replies