Recommend good HBO series?

Odie

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:40 am
I just finished the 5th and final season of the wire and loved it so now im on the hunt for a new HBO/AMC/Showtime series that will suit my likes. so far it seems im up to date with most that have been mentioned, my favorites being Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Wire, True Blood, Generation Kill, Entourage and Weeds.

Though Ill have to suggest an older showtime series called "The Black Donnellys" though it only lasted one season and is only half hour episodes if I recall correctly It revolves around 3 brothers in the Irish part of Boston where the Irish mob runs rampant, they all go threw a unfortunate series of events and has been a favorite for years and never understood why they canceled it and allways hoped it may just come back to life.

OH I Almost forgot, Eastbound and Down is a hillarious HBO series about a washed up baseball pitcher who trys to make a comeback im sure you can find trailers on youtube to give you an idea of what its about. So ridiculously funny a must see.

Now I continue my search for a new series that will hopefully compare to the latter while I wait for the new seasons of breaking bad, and true blood and entourage to come out.
dlowan

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:02 am
@Odie,
Welcome, Odie!!!

Some of these series are something else, eh?

I love the ability TV has at its best to allow great depth of characterisation, and character trajectory.

It's like a really good, long book.

Kind of like when Dickens and so on were publishing in serial form.
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:03 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Hey!!! I like Oz.

Thank you!!!

Though it's so relentless it's giving me nightmares!
0 Replies

patiodog

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:57 am
Anyone mention The Wire yet? Friggin great (well, season 2 a little thin, but still better than 99% of TV).
dlowan

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 03:27 pm
@patiodog,
Mentioned, bought, loved...yet to see Seasons 4 and 5.

patiodog

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 03:51 pm
@dlowan,
Yet to see 3, so watch yourself.
0 Replies

caribou

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 04:59 pm
I love that everyone loves The Wire.
I loved working on it, in hindsight.

I'm watching OZ. But the sets make me want to bash my head into the wall.

Has anyone suggested "The United States of Tara"? I think only one season is out. Interesting.
kermit

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 12:49 pm
@caribou,
The Pacific starts this weekend, which should be awesome, I think you should check that out. And if you haven't seen BoB, you gotta get on that because you'll love it. Haven't met anyone that hasn't yet.
dlowan

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 03:28 pm
@caribou,
caribou wrote:

I love that everyone loves The Wire.
I loved working on it, in hindsight.

I'm watching OZ. But the sets make me want to bash my head into the wall.

Has anyone suggested "The United States of Tara"? I think only one season is out. Interesting.

You did good!!

What do you hate about the set of Oz?

The melodrama is worth hating (but it's also interesting).

Of course, the entire thing is batty.
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 9 Mar, 2010 03:29 pm
@kermit,
Tell me more??????
0 Replies

patiodog

Wed 10 Mar, 2010 06:19 pm
I hate to say it, I don't want to see it, but I found Band of Brothers a little cheesy in terms of writing, acting, production values.

Story was good -- but of course they cribbed that from veterans.

Looks like a lot more went into The Pacific, though.
0 Replies

Thomas

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:58 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Thomas wrote:

Having downloaded the first three episodes of Weeds from Amazon, I decided I won't continue watching. The idea is clever. I probably would enjoy reading the script. But the way the series is shot, the characters don't really interest me.

It's all too warm and kooky for you, isn't it?

You tough physicist, you.

I gave the series a second chance, and now I'm hooked. Weeds rocks!

I can see what threw me off the first time, though: In season 1, episode 1, Celia has a teenage daughter, Quinn, who is also Silas's girlfriend. She might have become a major character, but "left for Mexico" after the pilot and never came back. They needed the whole second episode to explain her away, and probably a few more episodes until they had their storyline fully reconfigured.

Dammit. So now I'm hooked on "weeds".
dlowan

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:00 am
@Thomas,
She'll be bavk.
dlowan

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:01 am
@dlowan,
So...any more good series out there?
Thomas

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:19 am
@dlowan,
Quinn will be back? I'm at the end of season 4 now, and she hasn't come back yet. Except for Season 1, episode 1, Celia only has one daughter.
Thomas

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:31 am
@dlowan,
I like Treme on HBO. Treme is a neighborhood in New Orleans where all the Jazz musicians live. The series Treme follows a network of friends and families, most of them connected to music in one way or another, as the neighborhood recovers from Katrina.

Did we talk about Nurse Jackie yet? It's about a nurse called Jackie, played by Edie Falco (also known as "Carmella Soprano"). She's sarcastic, ruthlessly efficient in her job (frequently chewing out the doctors), addicted to pain killers, and a loyal friend. You don't want to get on her wrong side though, or you'll find your ear swimming in a hospital toilet. Interesting character, interesting background.
JPB

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:36 am
@dlowan,
TREME

The first season just finished last week with episode 10. All are available on demand. Episode 1 starts in November '05, three months post-Katrina. It's the truest story of how the aftermath of Miss Thing effected the people of New Orleans I've seen. The music is fantastic and the culture (or the attempt to get back to it) is spot on.

Many of my local NOLA friends are having a hard time watching it because it's bringing them back to a place they thought they had recovered from. It's cathartic, in a way, but some folks are questioning if they've healed as well as they thought they had.

It's fiction and it isn't. The musicians are mostly real and going by their real names. Some of the musician characters are actors with real musicians dubbing over their parts. Most of the dramatic characters are based on real folks, or a combination of a couple real folks, some of whom are consultants to the writing staff.

I participate in a TREME thread on another forum where we discuss every story line as if it was a documentary rather than a fictional story. It's produced by the same folks who do The Wire, but it's different -- it's New Orleans.
JPB

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:37 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I like Treme on HBO. Treme is a neighborhood in New Orleans where all the Jazz musicians live. The series Treme follows a network of friends and families, most of them connected to music somehow, as the neighborhood recovers from Katrina.

HA! me too
0 Replies

Thomas

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:39 am
@JPB,
I had a feeling you would like Treme, JPB. Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 09:09 am
@Thomas,
Treme sounds cool..I'll look for it.

I already have seen season 1 of Nurse Jackie.

I love anything whatsername does!