Recommend good HBO series?

dlowan

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 09:30 am
I have recently started getting DVDs from an online shop, which I means that I bother getting them more often.

A couple of HBO series (or is that HPO???) that I only caught up with relatively recently that I have really liked are The Sopranos, and The Wire.

We only get such shows here in Oz from HBO as our channels choose to pick up (I don't have, nor will I get, cable), but I can easily order them to try out if I know about them.

Are there series on HBO that people think are really good?

Asherman

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 09:34 am
Try "Rome". Not great history, but still an enjoyable romp in ancient Rome.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 09:37 am
Asherman wrote:
Try "Rome". Not great history, but still an enjoyable romp in ancient Rome.

Thank you...I think we got that one......I watched it a couple of times, but didn't really get into it.

Now the BBC production of I, Claudius, and Claudius the God, with Derek Jacobi...mmmmmm........
0 Replies

DrewDad

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 09:46 am
"Curb Your Enthusiasm"
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 09:48 am
DrewDad wrote:
"Curb Your Enthusiasm"

Ah! Now THAT I found out about, and I do watch it from time to time.

It actually did show on TV here...but always very late.

It's great.
0 Replies

squinney

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 10:04 am
Curb was going to get my vote here as well.

Soprano's, oh, yeah!

Carnival, Six Feet Under and Deadwood were the only other one's I considered "Can't Miss".

I haven't been able to get into any of the newer stuff.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 10:05 am
squinney wrote:
Curb was going to get my vote here as well.

Soprano's, oh, yeah!

Carnival, Six Feet Under and Deadwood were the only other one's I considered "Can't Miss".

I haven't been able to get into any of the newer stuff.

We got the first two here...... can you tell me more about Deadwood?
0 Replies

patiodog

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 10:20 am
Deadwoods a muddy, grubby western. Pretty good, but slow.
0 Replies

squinney

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 10:21 am
Click on "About the Show"

It's about the arrival and initial settlement of Deadwood (a real town) during the Gold Rush. It introduces us to Wild Bill, Calamity Jane and a brief viewing of Wyatt Earp. Quite a bit of it appears to have followed history correctly regarding what we have on record for Wild Bill and Calamity Jane.

Costumes, settings and makeup are fantastic. You feel dirty after each episode, what with all of the dirt, mud and lack of bathing. But, great characters that draw you into it.
patiodog

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 10:23 am
Dexter is a Showtime series that's widely liked. Suits a dark temperament, might suit the bunny.
0 Replies

caribou

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 10:53 am
Deadwood... Loved to death. But HBO canned it after the three season so be prepared for a little sadness on the story ending so aburtly. I thought everything about the show was great. Filming, costume, dialog. amazing!

Band of brothers... Yeah, I ended up really liking it. I am a historical idiot and not a huge fan of war. Parts of this were hard to watch, but I learned alot! And ended up a fan (of the show, not the war)

It's not HBO, but I watched Lost on DVD and loved it.
0 Replies

caribou

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 10:58 am
Oh, and if you did like The Wire, you may like The Corner.

"A year in the lives of one ghetto family struggling to survive is at the heart of this HBO miniseries. Sean Nelson stars as a teenager who struggles to fight off the pressures of the street while his parents (Khandi Alexander and T.K. Carter) work hard to earn a steady income and establish a sense of normalcy, against long odds. Emmys for Outstanding Miniseries were awarded to director Charles S. Dutton, his writing team and the show's producers. "

Not terrible happy. But makes you think.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 11:10 am
Interesting folks, thankee.

Caribou...what's your role on such productions, if I may ask?
0 Replies

caribou

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 11:22 am
painter
0 Replies

TTH

Sat 6 Oct, 2007 11:24 am
caribou wrote:
Band of brothers... Yeah, I ended up really liking it. I am a historical idiot and not a huge fan of war. Parts of this were hard to watch, but I learned alot! And ended up a fan (of the show, not the war)
This one was really good. I bought it for my dad as a birthday present. He did get to see it before he died.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 7 Oct, 2007 03:51 pm
Any more?

Caribou...I would be fascinated if you talked more about your work and experiences.
0 Replies

TTH

Sun 7 Oct, 2007 04:07 pm
dlowan wrote:
Any more?
I liked sex in the city. I didn't watch it when it was on TV and I don't get HBO. My niece got the dvd collection
and I had to spend the night with her so I watched an episode. I thought it was really funny.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 7 Oct, 2007 04:09 pm
TTH wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Any more?
I liked sex in the city. I didn't watch it when it was on TV and I don't get HBO. My niece got the dvd collection
and I had to spend the night with her so I watched an episode. I thought it was really funny.

Yep.....loved that. It was a hit here.

I am beginning to see we get more HBO here than I realised!

But I still wonder if there are buried treasures....
patiodog

Sun 7 Oct, 2007 06:43 pm
Didja get the Larry Sanders Show there? It's an older one. Good stuff, very dry. And a brilliant last line for a series.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 7 Oct, 2007 07:30 pm
patiodog wrote:
Didja get the Larry Sanders Show there? It's an older one. Good stuff, very dry. And a brilliant last line for a series.

oY!!! Thank you for reminding me!

yes, we did, but again it was on really late and got moved around....I missed it way more than see it, and it would be a great one to look at again.

I never saw the last episode, I am sure.
0 Replies