Recommend good HBO series?

FreeDuck

Sun 7 Oct, 2007 10:38 pm
I second (or is it third or fourth by now) the Deadwood recommendation, for the dialog alone. I also loved The Wire, Six Feet Under, and Carnival (weird but good). I don't quite get Curb Your Enthusiasm, but I didn't like Seinfeld either. If I think of any more I'll drop back in.

For a taste of the Deadwood dialog, check out "best lines" on the episode guide on the website.
0 Replies

dlowan

Mon 8 Oct, 2007 01:45 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I second (or is it third or fourth by now) the Deadwood recommendation, for the dialog alone. I also loved The Wire, Six Feet Under, and Carnival (weird but good). I don't quite get Curb Your Enthusiasm, but I didn't like Seinfeld either. If I think of any more I'll drop back in.

For a taste of the Deadwood dialog, check out "best lines" on the episode guide on the website.

I'll be sampling Deadwood!

So many people can't be wrong........well, leaving out Hitler and such...
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 8 Oct, 2007 04:21 am
Re: Recommend good HBO series?
dlowan wrote:
A couple of HBO series (or is that HPO???) that I only caught up with relatively recently that I have really liked are The Sopranos, and The Wire.

After the Sopranos, there are no more good TV series. I say, just start watching them again from season one. And beware Carmella's mother in law if you should ever be tempted to marry.
0 Replies

dlowan

Mon 8 Oct, 2007 06:59 am
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:
A couple of HBO series (or is that HPO???) that I only caught up with relatively recently that I have really liked are The Sopranos, and The Wire.

After the Sopranos, there are no more good TV series. I say, just start watching them again from season one. And beware Carmella's mother in law if you should ever be tempted to marry.

Lol! I OWN the entire series...except for the final one, which still has 4 episodes left over here. I only began watching it about a year ago...I cannot believe I missed it until then.

I WILL watch it again from series one...and mre than once.

I cannot believe how good and complex it is.

But I cannot bear your gloomy, Teutonic view that the world has now ended, TV wise!!!!!

Do you have a favourite character, episode, theme????? Only...don't spoil the final season for me!
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:14 am
dlowan wrote:
Do you have a favourite character, episode, theme????? Only...don't spoil the final season for me!

I'm not sure if "favourite" is the right word, but Tony's mother is the one my sister and I talk about the most. She (my sister, not Tony's mother) got addicted when I lent her my DVD box of the first six seasons. Coincidence or not, my sister is currently seeking a job in New Joisey.
0 Replies

dlowan

Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:20 am
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I'm not sure if "favourite" is the right word, but Tony's mother is the one my sister and I talk about the most. She (my sister, not Tony's mother) got addicted when I lent her my DVD box of the first six seasons. Coincidence or not, my sister is currently seeking a job in New Joisey.

What can you do?

That mother!
0 Replies

Chai

Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:21 am
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Thomas, I came into watching the Sopranos rather late, after a few seasons.
My best friend, who I've known for 30 years, and also from New Jersey, kept telling me to watch.
So, I had a couch potato weekend once and watched them back to back.

I hadn't laughed so hard in a long time, especially when I saw Tony's mother Livia.....my first reaction was.......Mom? Especially the "I don't know what you're tawkin' about.

anyway....What about Nip/Tuck? Is that HBO? Not sure if it is, but very good, dark humor.
0 Replies

dlowan

Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:35 am
Chai wrote:
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Thomas, I came into watching the Sopranos rather late, after a few seasons.
My best friend, who I've known for 30 years, and also from New Jersey, kept telling me to watch.
So, I had a couch potato weekend once and watched them back to back.

I hadn't laughed so hard in a long time, especially when I saw Tony's mother Livia.....my first reaction was.......Mom? Especially the "I don't know what you're tawkin' about.

anyway....What about Nip/Tuck? Is that HBO? Not sure if it is, but very good, dark humor.

Watched it a couple of times, I think....found it too...er...plastic...like Desperate Housewives....the quirkiness and darkness is there, but that is all there is.
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:46 am
dlowan wrote:
What can you do?

Nothing. I'm not going into this f'cking nursing home.
0 Replies

TTH

Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:00 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I don't quite get Curb Your Enthusiasm, but I didn't like Seinfeld either.
You didn't like Seinfield? I didn't like it either until someone told me to watch the soup nazi episode. That one cracked me up so I did watch more and ended up liking it after all.
0 Replies

dlowan

Mon 8 Oct, 2007 09:18 am
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:
What can you do?

Nothing. I'm not going into this f'cking nursing home.

It's NOT A NURSING HOME!
0 Replies

Chai

Mon 8 Oct, 2007 09:30 am
mmm....seinfeld wears thin quickly.

so does curb.

ok already with the kvetching.
0 Replies

dlowan

Mon 8 Oct, 2007 09:37 am
Chai wrote:
mmm....seinfeld wears thin quickly.

so does curb.

ok already with the kvetching.

Seinfeld is nectar of the gods!!!!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Mon 8 Oct, 2007 09:51 am
TTH wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
I don't quite get Curb Your Enthusiasm, but I didn't like Seinfeld either.
You didn't like Seinfield? I didn't like it either until someone told me to watch the soup nazi episode. That one cracked me up so I did watch more and ended up liking it after all.

No, it never made me laugh -- maybe I just wasn't into it. And Curb is just plain painful to watch. I did catch one episode that I found mildly amusing where he picks up a hooker just so he can ride in the HOV lane to a baseball game. But I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it and usually change the channel if it's on.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Mon 8 Oct, 2007 10:03 am
Don't forget Sex and the City. The Gary Shandling Show is out on DVD. It wasn't on HBO, but it was very funny.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Tue 16 Oct, 2007 01:14 pm
dlowan wrote:
Chai wrote:
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Watched it a couple of times, I think....found it too...er...plastic...like Desperate Housewives....the quirkiness and darkness is there, but that is all there is.

Really? Nip/Tuck is one of my favorite series. I love how just when you think it's so sensational and over-the-top the characters really surprise you with their complexity and depth.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:35 am
"From the Earth to the Moon," so awsome you actual have tears watching Earth Rise of Apollo 8. As inspirational as television could ever have dreamt to be.

When Armstrong walked the Moon humanity was as peaceful as it ever was, or will be.
0 Replies

YellowRosebud

Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:22 pm
Love Entourage and of course Sex and the City - can't beat em. I've recently been watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and it's not bad. It actually makes me laugh. But that's about as far as I go in HBO.
0 Replies

Roberta

Thu 8 Nov, 2007 11:48 pm
Watched a few of the HBO series. Like Sex and the City. Was lukewarm about the Garry Shandling Show (was that HBO?). Do not like Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Thought the Sopranos was perhaps the best series ever aired. Complex, funny, terrifying, human, inhuman.

My favorites on the Sopranos? Loved the big tough guy and the ducks. Loved the interaction between Melfi and Tony. Tony's mother--what a piece of work. But mostly I liked watching Tony. An unpredictable and strangely appealing characater in a horrible sort of way.

Loved the end. (Don't yell at me. I did.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 9 Nov, 2007 12:16 am
Roberta wrote:
Watched a few of the HBO series. Like Sex and the City. Was lukewarm about the Garry Shandling Show (was that HBO?). Do not like Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Thought the Sopranos was perhaps the best series ever aired. Complex, funny, terrifying, human, inhuman.

My favorites on the Sopranos? Loved the big tough guy and the ducks. Loved the interaction between Melfi and Tony. Tony's mother--what a piece of work. But mostly I liked watching Tony. An unpredictable and strangely appealing characater in a horrible sort of way.

Loved the end. (Don't yell at me. I did.)

I ain't yelling.
0 Replies