msolga

Sun 14 Aug, 2011 09:19 pm
@dlowan,
Sorry? Confused
dlowan

Sun 14 Aug, 2011 09:25 pm
@msolga,
Google "all your base are belong to us"

It's a kind of Internet meme that came from a computer game.

It was a joke implying that we had managed to take you over.

To the dark side or something I guess.
You can't explain jokes.
msolga

Sun 14 Aug, 2011 09:28 pm
@dlowan,
Oh OK. Smile
I thought you were responding (literally) to my post.
I was wondering what the hell I'd said! Wink
0 Replies

mckenzie

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 12:24 am
Unfortunately missed the Sopranos. Once HBO became available to us on TV in the last years of the series, we saw the odd episode but we were too far behind for it to make any sense. I wonder what the complete series sells for at Costco or on Amazon because I would like to see it.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 12:28 am
We just finished watching season 3 of Damages on DVS last night, with Glenn Close. Both Mr. M. and I think it's the BEST series we've seen in many years. Has anyone followed that series?

Season 4 is airing now, but only on Direct TV so I guess we'll have to wait for it to come out on DVD. Hopefully it does!
dlowan

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 04:31 am
@mckenzie,
I looked at a couple of episodes and didn't get engaged.
0 Replies

bromanticlovely

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 04:37 am
@dlowan,
We don't have HBO on cable. We watch sports.
dlowan

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 06:01 am
@bromanticlovely,
I don't have HBO on cable either, I rent or buy these series.

Welcome to a2k.

0 Replies

msolga

Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:32 pm
@mckenzie,
Almost finished series 1.
Getting the hang of it now. It's definitely growing on me.

Tony's relationship with his psychiatrist is certainly very "interesting"! Smile

I wonder how many times I'll see & hear this if I manage to make my way through all episodes?:

Thomas

Thu 18 Aug, 2011 08:33 pm
@msolga,
It's been a while since I've seen those opening credits, and I probably haven't seen them much since I moved to New Jersey. It's incredible how accurately they capture the feel of the area.
msolga

Thu 18 Aug, 2011 08:42 pm
@Thomas,
It's a big part of the interest for me, Thomas.
The local "landscape".
The different locations & the character & feel of the place.
And of course, the local characters.
It's rather like taking a guided tour! Smile
Thomas

Thu 18 Aug, 2011 08:47 pm
@msolga,
The biggest hit with me, though, were the details of character development. For example, since you're reaching the end of season 1, you probably saw the episode where the psychiatrist explains to Tony how old people need to feel in control. Tony takes her advice and let's his uncle Junior be boss. The next scene is Junior and Tony's mother sitting together at a funeral, each with an I-am-the-king-of-the-world grin on their face. So good!
msolga

Thu 18 Aug, 2011 08:55 pm
@Thomas,
Yes, it is!
And also watching the character developments within Tony's family.
Seeing the dynamics change. His wife. His children, as they grow older.
The episode in which the family priest "stayed the night" in the family home was pretty extraordinary! Smile
Irishk

Sat 20 Aug, 2011 09:18 am
@msolga,
It was fun watching Tony's kids grow up on the show, too. His son started out as a chubby little preteen and over the years had a major transformation. I wonder whatever happened to him?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 20 Aug, 2011 09:46 am
@msolga,
Series 3 episode 2. Don't you dare spill the beans about anything post that. I'll keep posting where I am each Wednesday.
msolga

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 07:31 am
@izzythepush,
Just popping in to say that I've now watched the first six episodes of series 4.

(Don't worry, izzy, I'm not going to reveal any plot developments you're not up to yet! Smile )

Verdict: It's wonderful! I'm addicted.
What a terrific cast, what fabulous scripts, what terrific filming!

I suspect there are quite a few local details & subtleties that you US folk might understand that I might not have picked up 100% ....
But what the heck.
Who's complaining?
This is wonderful stuff.
djjd62

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 07:39 am
@msolga,
never saw the series, but long before it ever existed, the song was part of A3's brilliant album Exile on Coldharbour Lane, any album that contains a techno version of John Prine's Speed of the sound of Lonliness and samples the Rev. Jim Jones can't be all bad
izzythepush

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 07:40 am
@msolga,
I'm up to the bit where the old boy, dying of lungcancer, shoots two thugs then dies in a car crash on the way home.
msolga

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 07:45 am
@msolga,
http://image.com.com/tv/images/processed/mini_thumb/3d/02/7505.jpg
I think that this guy (Silvio Dante) is a terrific creation. His little cameos always amuse me. That extreme Elvis hair! That down-turned mouth! What a character. Smile

Then, reading the information on various Sopranos sites, I discovered that he is Steve Van Zandt, a member of the E-Street Band. Is he versatile, or what?

But there are so many other brilliantly realized characters. Not a single one I can think of who isn't thoroughly convincing .....

msolga

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 07:51 am
@djjd62,
Ah.
I was going to make further investigations about that song in the opening credits, dj. (I think it's permanently etched into my brain now. Wink )
Thanks.
I will certainly check that album (oops, CD!) out.

Hey, you must get hold of a copy of the series.
I'm certain you'd really like it.