26

Recommend good HBO series?

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 04:03 am
Its been two years so Ive forgotten. I know Ive seen it .

msolga

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 04:04 am
Oh good!
Thanks for the recommendation, farmer.
I just happened to have borrowed discs 1 & 2 this afternoon!

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 05:33 am
@msolga,
Thats good, especially for the Sopranos. It is, after all, a Mafiosis soap opera. The story line progresses through the entire series , unlike Dexter in which, after year 1 , every season stands on its own.

I love the sound track too.
Im o spoiler so, let m know what you think , and, if you have any questions many of us have some familiarity with folks who were "mobbed up"

Thomas

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 06:11 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Is it just boy stuff and gangsters?
Or is there more to it than that?

It's also about family, about community, and, towards the end of the series, about social change. If you choose to watch the series, you'll end up empathizing with these monsters, even like them a bit, and catch yourself thinking thoughts like, "how dare he disrespect you like that! You've got to whack him now!" If you liked The Godfather, you'll like The Sopranos. And if you didn't, you just might like them anyway.

msolga wrote:
I ask because committing one's self to six series of any program is no small thing!

A girl can fool around a bit before she commits. Why not try the first few episodes and see if you get hooked?
Setanta

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 06:21 am
@Thomas,
A girl can fool around a bit before she commits.

For some reason, this is not the kind of wisdom i'd have expected from you.

dlowan

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 07:05 am
@Thomas,
I thinkThe Sopranos is some of the finest writing and acting to come out of the US in a long time.

And you don't, as Thomas says, have to commit at all. Just rent the first season.

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 07:23 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

he he thinks he's stitched things up very nicely by finally killing the "bathtub killer".

Surely the 'Trinity Killer.'
msolga

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 07:46 am
Yes, you're quite right, Izzy.
I think I had images of bathtubs full of blood firmly lodged in my brain after that last episode. <shiver>
Sorry, I somehow missed your post earlier.
That last episode of series 4 really upset me, too.
Shocking, because it was the last thing I was expecting.

Thank you very much for the feedback on the Sopranos, farmer, Izzy, Thomas & Deb. (Such strong recommendations from such discerning folk! How could it possibly not be great? Smile )

I've now watched the first two episodes & things are looking very promising.
My goodness, his mother is rather awful in a weirdly fascinating way, I must say!
Anyway, I think I'm going I'm going to enjoy this!

(As to committing to 6 series ..... I tend to be an all or nothing sort of girl when it comes to these things. Once I've started, I tend to stubbornly plough on!)

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 08:02 am
@msolga,
If you get to season 3 don't leave any spoilers. It's being shown an episide at a time on Wednesday nights. I've just seen up to season 3 ep 1.

Dexter season 5 is being shown over here at the moment. It's every bit as good as what preceded it.

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 10:25 am
@msolga,
Nancy MArchand, who played Tony Sopranos mother, was a study in the care and maintanance of dysfunctional families. Her previous roles (Mrs Pynchon in Lou Grant) had her play so many strong women types who capably run things so that this role as mama Soprano was a real departure.

She takes on several symbolic roles as Sopranos proceeds so you need to keep an eye on her and what she says.

Same thing with "uncle Junior"
JPB

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 11:18 am
I've seen about four total episodes of The Sopranos. Mr B was watching it this morning and, wouldn't you know, it was one of the same episodes I'd already seen. That's happened other times too. I think of the four episodes I've seen I've seen the "acting studio" one three times and the "uncle Six Flags shoots **** from the closet" one at least twice (trying not to give too many spoilers to msolga). You'd think that with six seasons to stumble over I could stumble over an episode I haven't already seen.

Thomas

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 11:27 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Why don't you just stick a knife into her heart and turn it around slowly? It wouldn't hurt her any more than what you just said about her!

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 11:32 am
@Thomas,
Don't you dare talk about anything from series 3 onwards.
msolga

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 05:08 pm

Ah, I was wondering why she seemed rather familiar, farmer. (Lou Grant. Terrific series from way back!)

Her performance in the Sopranos certainly packs a punch! Very powerful. She's a terrific actor.

Same thing with "uncle Junior"

Ha, Uncle Junior. (he looks rather like an older, more wizened Woody Allen to me. Smile )
He's appeared only a few times so far, but boy, it's so clear he's going to get up to stuff! Wink
You can just see him thinking, plotting, thinking, behind those huge spectacles!
Wonderful performance!

I just enjoy picking on elderly, helpless people, Thomas! Very Happy Wink
msolga

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 05:09 pm

Now I'm just itching to know what's going to happen, Izzy.
Better speed up my viewing!

Irishk

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 05:19 pm
I let the first two seasons of Nurse Jackie sit in the to-be-watched stack for quite a while and not sure why but turns out it is THE most fun series! Now I can't wait for the third season to hit DVD! If I ever get sick, I definitely hope I get a nurse like Jackie Smile
Thomas

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 05:20 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Ah. It seems you haven't yet seen the episode I was hinting at.
msolga

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 05:39 pm
@Thomas,
No, just two episodes under my belt at this stage, Thomas.
You know, I can just imagine Tony's mother saying something like: "Why don't you just stick a knife into her heart and turn it around slowly?"
... in a thoroughly manipulative, guilt-inducing way! Wink

Oh she's truly awful. So wonderfully convincing! Smile
msolga

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 05:47 pm
@Irishk,
I think it was Old Goat who recommended Nurse Jackie earlier on in this thread, Irishk.
(Where is Old Goat, btw? I miss him.)
Another series to put on my ever growing list.

All this miniseries watching has severely impacted on my movie watching.
I'm wondering if this is a good thing or not.
But I'm certainly enjoying myself!
dlowan

1  
Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 09:18 pm
@msolga,
"It's a RESIDENTIAL FACILITY!"