Recommend good HBO series?

msolga

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 07:54 am
@izzythepush,
Lots more action & drama to come, izzy!
Are you still enjoying it as much as the earlier episodes?
izzythepush

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 07:55 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

http://image.com.com/tv/images/processed/mini_thumb/3d/02/7505.jpg
I think that this guy (Silvio Dante) is a terrific creation.

He is one of my favourites, I think it's really good that, despite all the awful things they do, they're all really likeable.
izzythepush

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 07:56 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Lots more action & drama to come, izzy!
Are you still enjoying it as much as the earlier episodes?

Yes, it makes my Wednesdays.
0 Replies

djjd62

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 07:57 am
@msolga,
i might see it some day, but it's not high on my list, i really want to see The Wire some day, especially after watching one of the stars in a brit detective series called Luther
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_(TV_series)
dlowan

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 07:59 am
@djjd62,
The Wire is FABULOUS. All the series.

I enjoyed Luther, too....except it was all so intense...no light and dark.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 08:07 am
@msolga,
Yay! She loves it!!!!

I was listening to a discussion of shows like The Sopranos, and how people are likening them to the best of the great Victorian novels.....although the main person in the discussion (the interviewee, can't recall who it was) found that an annoying comparison, felt that it tried to obliterate a whole century and a half of development of human experience and art.....nonetheless I think there is a validity in the view, because of the wonderful depth and subtlety of the character development.

Paulie and those other character parts I find very Dickensian in the way that a couple of physical and linguistic and gestural oddities define them....although they get to grow a bit more om the Sopranos.
dlowan

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 08:09 am
@msolga,
You can just download the tune you want if you use iTunes...they've mad a couple or more Sopranos albums now, but I find the quality variable. That's some song though!
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 08:35 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I think it's really good that, despite all the awful things they do, they're all really likeable.

And totally credible.

Take Tony Soprano.
Talk about a complex character!
One minute he's this almost dorky, lovable person who is so tender about ducks (!) & that race horse, the people he loves, his family ...
The next minute he'll make a cold-blooded decision to wipe out some long established friend for betrayal .... then genuinely grieves about that person's death & genuinely misses their presence ...
Then behave like a totally ruthless & vicious thug, violently attacking some enemy in the street...
Then sit down to yet another pasta with the boys & let off a bit of steam, in between talking business ...
Then, though he obviously loves & thoroughly depends on his wife for stability in his life, constantly betrays her with women who are both important to him emotionally or totally irrelevant bimbos, who he has absolutely no regard or respect for .... as if the betrayals are totally irrelevant in his mind, he does things because he wants to & can. It's that simple.
Then, he'll present his wife with some spectacularly expensive piece of jewellry to buy the peace .... and unbelievably (almost) she goes along with it ... (But Carmela is also a very complex character ...)
Then .... & so on & so on ...

It is really quite amazing how he takes us along with him through all these various conflicting aspects of his personality & we retain an affection for him never-the-less.

0 Replies

msolga

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 08:52 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
I was listening to a discussion of shows like The Sopranos, and how people are likening them to the best of the great Victorian novels.....although the main person in the discussion (the interviewee, can't recall who it was) found that an annoying comparison, felt that it tried to obliterate a whole century and a half of development of human experience and art.....nonetheless I think there is a validity in the view, because of the wonderful depth and subtlety of the character development.

Yes, I'd agree with you there, Deb.
Although an entirely different historical period (obviously) ..... the (Sopranos) tale is told through the most popular entertainment medium of this time, with (I'd argue) just as much skill & relevance to the contemporary audience, as Dickens aimed to achieve through his tales to his audience.
0 Replies

Thomas

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 12:51 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Yay! She loves it!!!!

Are you surprised?

dlowan wrote:
I was listening to a discussion of shows like The Sopranos, and how people are likening them to the best of the great Victorian novels.....

Fuckin' A, as we Neo-Victorians like to put it.
msolga

Sun 11 Sep, 2011 07:16 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Fuckin' A, as we Neo-Victorians like to put it.

Interesting!
Elaborate please, Thomas.
I'm really interested to hear more! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 11:09 pm
Into the final series of the Sopranos now.
Tomorrow I'll collect the last 3 DVDs & soon it will all be over.

I've gotta say ... though not too much because of izzy ...
...it has become quite stressful viewing, excruciating at times.
Worry, worry, worry! Wink
izzythepush

Sun 25 Sep, 2011 02:36 am
@msolga,
I'm up to the bit where Ralphie beats his stripper girlfriend to death and Junior's started chemo.
msolga

Sun 25 Sep, 2011 02:51 am
@izzythepush,
Boy, do you have a trip in front of you, izzy!

But my lips are firmly sealed.
I will say no more.

Apart from : aghhhhhhhhh!
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 25 Sep, 2011 03:25 am
@msolga,
Next question: what next, after the sopranos?

Any really, really excellent suggestions, anyone?
They don't have to be about criminal families or about vampires (actually I'm a bit off vampires), OK?

In around a week's time I'll be ready for something completely new. Smile
dlowan

Sun 25 Sep, 2011 04:41 am
@msolga,
The Wire, Treme.........
msolga

Sun 25 Sep, 2011 04:45 am
@dlowan,
I'll have to investigate those, Deb.
I know nothing about them
Thanks for the suggestions.
msolga

Sun 25 Sep, 2011 04:57 am
@msolga,

Now that does look interesting.

Not sure if my video shop stocks it or not .... not that I've looked for it yet, though.

Treme
(pronounced /trəˈmeɪ/ trə-may) is an American television drama series created by David Simon and Eric Overmyer.
It takes its name from Tremé, a neighborhood of New Orleans.[1]
The series begins three months after Hurricane Katrina where the residents of New Orleans, including musicians, chefs, Mardi Gras Indians, and other New Orleanians try to rebuild their lives, their homes and their unique culture in the aftermath of the 2005 hurricane.[1][2][3]

The series premiered on HBO April 11, 2010,[4][5] with an 80-minute pilot episode, the first of a 10 episode season.[2] On April 13, 2010, HBO renewed the series for a second season.[6] The second season premiered April 24, 2011. On May 13, 2011, the series was renewed for a third season.[7][/quote]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treme_%28TV_series%29
Thomas

Sun 25 Sep, 2011 05:30 am
@msolga,
Really? Treme? I'm not sure if that's a good series or not. Better double-check with JPB. Razz
dlowan

Sun 9 Oct, 2011 01:55 am
@Thomas,
I've watched two episodes of Boardwalk Empire and enjoyed them.

Have downloaded some of True Blood four.
0 Replies