Recommend good HBO series?

Setanta

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 01:31 am
This thread is evil. At some point, just about every day, i hear some good ol' boy in the back of my mind singing "I wanna do bad things with you." I blame Miss Olga.
shewolfnm

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 01:33 am
i love true blood too Smile

If you have netflix access there? you could watch true blood.
It is only a couple dollars a month and you can stream many tv series through it
msolga

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 02:52 am
@dlowan,
Ah, I get what you mean now, Deb. Idea
Series 3!
No (being pretty broke at the moment), I think I'll wait.
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 02:56 am
@mckenzie,
Quote:
What about Tremé, Olga? BP and I made a brief reference to it a few pages above.

Thanks for the suggestion., mckenzie, I'll check out what you & JBP wrote & do a bit of online investigating, too.
msolga

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 03:01 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
This thread is evil. At some point, just about every day, i hear some good ol' boy in the back of my mind singing "I wanna do bad things with you." I blame Miss Olga.

Ha, Setanta.
So long as you don't actually start singing it out loud at the supermarket, or while walking the little dogs, etc, you should stay out of trouble! Razz Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 03:08 am
@shewolfnm,
To be honest, I don't know the costs & intricacies of these things in Oz, because I very rarely watch "regular" television, shewolf.
But thank you for the suggestion. Perhaps I should do a little serious investigating?

BTW, nothing to do with HBO, or True Blood, but I LOVE your avatar!
Makes me smile every time I see it. Wonderful. Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 04:25 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
What about Tremé, Olga? BP and I made a brief reference to it a few pages above.

Thanks for the suggestion., mckenzie, I'll check out what you & JBP wrote & do a bit of online investigating, too.

Only $2. Something per episode.
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 30 Jun, 2011 06:23 am
I had to take a little break from True Blood after the last episode I just watched .....
Sam turned into an insect to escape from jail, Godric burned himself up & died, half the town was in jail after performing unspeakable acts & that damn evil woman who shimmers produced a pie with a human heart in it Shocked which Tara & her boyfriend gobbled up with relish ......
Phew.
Enough for tonight, I think! Surprised
dlowan

Thu 30 Jun, 2011 07:09 am
@msolga,
I thought the maenad kind of sucked!
msolga

Thu 30 Jun, 2011 07:20 am
@dlowan,
You mean Marianne?
Yes?
http://truebloodnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/michelle_forbes.jpg
I'm finding myself tiring of her antics a bit.
Is that what you mean?
Or you just don't like the character?
Thomas

Thu 30 Jun, 2011 08:56 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I thought the maenad kind of sucked!

Poor actress doesn't have a lot of good lines. I liked the Fellowship-of-the-Sun storyline though. Perhaps it's hard to appreciate for people who haven't watched religious TV channels in America for a while, but True Blood's is dead-on with their caricature of the Evangelical-preacher style, phony smiles and all.

For example, here's one of the Nolan's "Reflectinons on Light" that ran as a teaser for the series on HBO. I also liked their "Recruitment video"
dlowan

Thu 30 Jun, 2011 09:04 am
@msolga,
I just find the whole storyline dumb.

The shivering thing especially!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Thu 30 Jun, 2011 09:06 am
@Thomas,
Oh the Fellowship stuff is good.
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 1 Jul, 2011 12:36 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
Poor actress doesn't have a lot of good lines. I liked the Fellowship-of-the-Sun storyline though. Perhaps it's hard to appreciate for people who haven't watched religious TV channels in America for a while, but True Blood's is dead-on with their caricature of the Evangelical-preacher style, phony smiles and all.

For example, here's one of the Nolan's "Reflectinons on Light" that ran as a teaser for the series on HBO. I also liked their "Recruitment video"

True, Marianne doesn't get much of a chance to do much but shimmer, & look either blissed out or devious.

I agree with you about The Fellowship of the Sun folk. HaHa, they are wonderful parodies of Evangelists!
The actors must have enjoyed themselves so much, being Steve & Sarah!
Fabulous performances! Smile

0 Replies

Thomas

Sun 10 Jul, 2011 01:03 pm
I'm currently catching up with The Borgias. (It's a Showtime Series, not an HBO series, but who cares?) The family- and power dynamics are similar to The Godfather. The setting is Renaissance Rome. And the lighting of the movie beautifully echoes that of Renaissance paintings. I like it so far!
dlowan

Sun 10 Jul, 2011 04:33 pm
@Thomas,
I also hear HBO are doing Mildres Pierce.
Thomas

Sun 10 Jul, 2011 05:13 pm
@dlowan,
That's new to me. But then again, this is the first time I hear the name "Mildres Pierce". What is it about?
msolga

Mon 11 Jul, 2011 06:31 am
@Thomas,
Mildred Pierce, Deb?

(the d & the s are next door to each other on the keyboard. Wink )
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 11 Jul, 2011 06:33 am
I have been checking out Dexter.
Two discs down so far.
dlowan

Mon 11 Jul, 2011 06:53 am
@msolga,
Oh man....my typos.

I thought you'd hate Dexter! Cool.