Recommend good HBO series?

msolga

Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:03 am
@dlowan,
(spoiler alert if you haven't seen True Blood yet & plan to.)

No, no, not true! Smile
I just finished watching episode six .....
A friend came over for dinner last night & we watched a marathon 4 episodes!
And I watched another 2 just now ...
What can I say?
At first we thought: what is this? (It took a bit of adjusting to. So much going on, so much wildly vivid sexual activity, discrimination & the campaign for vampire rights, Sookie hearing peoples' thoughts, Bill being like something like 170 years old, etc, etc ... )
And then, once I got the gist, I was thoroughly sucked in!
This is quite an amazing viewing experience!
I am just at the point where Sookie & Bill have succumbed to their passionate feelings toward each other, after her grandmother's funeral, and ..... he sunk his fans into her neck! Oh no! Shocked
I'm wondering how far off the rails Jason (Sookie's brother) can possibly go.
And I absolutely love the atmosphere of the small town they live in!
A feast for the eyes.

So that's where I am on Sunday night ... I suspect I will have to go & hire the next few installments very soon (after I've seen episode 7)
Anything could happen here!
And probably will!

dlowan

Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:05 am
@msolga,
Oh, cool! A new fan.
msolga

Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:15 am
@dlowan,
I think so!
Oh & I love the choice of music on the out credits , too!

And as for the opening credits! They are really something! :

I've been wandering around the place with I Wanna Do Bad Things With You playing in my head, non-stop. Wink

dlowan

Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:34 am
@msolga,
Great song....tres spooky credits.
msolga

Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:40 am
@dlowan,
Yes, quite menacing.

But they really get your attention, though! Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:56 am
Hard to belief that Anna Paquin (who plays Sookie in True Blood) was the same little girl who won an academy award for her role in The Piano.
How time flies!
(excuse the size of this image. I didn't intend for it to be so big!)

http://course1.winona.edu/pjohnson/images/piano2.jpg
dlowan

Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:58 am
@msolga,
You can see her though. The blonde hair is different though.
0 Replies

Thomas

Sun 19 Jun, 2011 08:22 am
So, on balance, it almost seems as if Olga likes True Blood more than she dislikes it.
msolga

Sun 19 Jun, 2011 08:25 am
@Thomas,
Ha.
I'm totally sucked in, Thomas!
As you may have noticed. Wink
Thomas

Sun 19 Jun, 2011 08:36 am
@msolga,
You're not alone. They had me as soon as I noticed the church with the "God Hates Fangs" sign in the opening credits. Which I did in episode 2, if I remember correctly.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Sun 19 Jun, 2011 09:04 pm
@msolga,
She liked it. Yay, she liked it. Whew!!

Isn''t it fun to watch?

Two more seasons to go to get caught up, Olga. It just gets better.
msolga

Sun 19 Jun, 2011 09:52 pm
@mckenzie,
Smile

I have this feeling I'll be catching up to you fairly quickly, mckenzie.
Once I get sucked in I'm an all or nothing girl!

Thank you, BTW, for the background information on the series ... the "Sookie books", which I knew absolutely nothing about. After episode 1 my friend & I did a quick internet search, read up & understood the context of the series a lot better.

You understand, those first True Blood impressions were rather bewildering & overwhelming .....
But so very well done!
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 20 Jun, 2011 03:14 pm
Thomas wrote:
I have this feeling I'll be catching up to you fairly quickly, mckenzie.
Once I get sucked in I'm an all or nothing girl!

Thomas wrote:
I don't know. There's a lot of gratuitous sex, and it only gets more and more from season to season. I don't want you to get your hopes up that this nonsense is going to stop anytime soon.
msolga

Mon 20 Jun, 2011 06:53 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
There's a lot of gratuitous sex, and it only gets more and more from season to season. I don't want you to get your hopes up that this nonsense is going to stop anytime soon.

Even more? Surprised
I wouldn't have thought that could be possible.
Gosh.
And they still manage to maintain the storyline? Wink
msolga

Thu 23 Jun, 2011 06:46 pm
@msolga,
Thinking ahead ...
I'm ripping through True Blood. Now into series 2.
Unfortunately, by the looks of it, series 3 won't be available for hire here for a while (I think it's still being shown on pay TV here.)

So, any suggestions for what next?
Any tried & true HBO series you'd recommend?
Dexter?
Or?
Looking for engrossing contemporary drama, preferably.
Vampires & rampant sex scenes not essential. Wink

In the meantime, my local library informs me that series 2 of Doc Martin (terrific British series) is now available for collection.
I'm making my way through the whole series, as I missed so many programs when it was broadcast here.
Love it.
dlowan

Thu 23 Jun, 2011 10:42 pm
@msolga,
Three is available for purchase on iTunes if you don't mind watching stuff on a computer.
msolga

Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:02 pm
@dlowan,
Three?
Is there a reference to it in the back pages here, Deb?

I don't think watching too many films on my computer is a good idea. (Long story. Hight CPU usage issues. A problem for me, but probably not for others.)
dlowan

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 12:49 am
@msolga,
Series Three of Trueblood!
0 Replies

mckenzie

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 01:16 am
@msolga,
What about Tremé, Olga? JBP and I made a brief reference to it a few pages above.

Weren't you intrigued with Louisiana cooking a while back? Mind you, this series has nothing at all to do with cooking.

"About the Show" from the HBO website.

"From David Simon and Eric Overmyer, this Emmy-nominated drama series takes place during the rebuilding of post-Katrina New Orleans, and focuses on a group of residents who attempt to rebuild their lives through the music and cultural traditions that make them, and the city, unique. The series title refers to one of New Orleans' oldest neighbourhoods, an important centre of African-American and Creole culture and the birthplace of jazz itself. The events of Season 1 begin three months after Katrina and culminated around the Carnival season. Season 2 begins approximately eight months after the end of Season 1 or 14 months after Katrina. Ironically, it has become even harder for the musicians, restauranteurs, radio deejays and community leaders we met to survive; two, in fact, have moved to New York City. Those who remain are coping with high crime levels and dwindling federal support, as the rest of the country has turned its attention on new crises away from the Gulf, which has yet to be ravaged by oil spills. Still, the proud, even defiant spirit that defines the city lingers among Tremé's faithful, who continue to press forward, committed to holding on to their ideal of what New Orleans is -- and should always be."

Wonderful music, too.
mckenzie

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 01:22 am
@msolga,
Season 4 of True Blood premiers on June 26, and I have seen season 3 available for purchase and for rent.
0 Replies