Teeenagers, who'd have 'em

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 12:57 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
With this type of cancer, I have read, once you have symptoms, you don't have long to live, as it gets into your lymph system.

I'm sorry to read that your son has the Hodgkin's type

A quick read on Wikipedia indicates Hodkin's lymphoma has a high survival rate even for advanced stages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodgkin%27s_lymphoma

Quote:
The survival rate is generally 90% or higher when the disease is detected during early stages, making it one of the more curable forms of cancer.[2] Hodgkin's lymphoma is one of the handful of cancers that, even in its later stages, has a very high cure rate, in the 90's.[3]

Most patients who are able to be successfully treated (and thus enter remission) generally go on and live long and normal lives, due to a remission success rate of 90% to 95%.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 01:32 pm
@DrewDad,
Reyn was talking about his own diagnosis of non-Hodgkins lymphoma, which is quite a different kettle of fish, in terms of prognosis as well as need for aggressive treatment.

Hodgkins is definitely one of the "better" ones.

In Canada at least, with many types of cancer, saving eggs/sperm is recommended as a matter of course for young patients.
Reyn

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 02:31 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Reyn was talking about his own diagnosis of non-Hodgkins lymphoma, which is quite a different kettle of fish, in terms of prognosis as well as need for aggressive treatment.

Yes, thank you. It depends what stage it's found at, and each case is different.

Folks often mix up Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. A classic example was Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.

Quote:
In January 1994, Onassis was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, a form of cancer. Her diagnosis was announced to the public in February. The family and doctors were initially optimistic, and she stopped smoking at the insistence of her daughter.

link
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 03:51 pm
@ehBeth,
Lord yes....NON-Hodgkins is the type to try not to get.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 04:29 pm
@dadpad,
Hey DP - y'all being part of his treatment and doing the worrying for him may be better for you as a family (if you see what I mean). Kids don't feel their mortality - which is as it should be and you as parents, keeping the direction going forward and positive - well, that's gonna be what he needs when the treatment starts.

so sorry you are going thru this - strength to the Pads

(((((DadMumPad)))))
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 08:54 pm
Thinking of the Pad family.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:41 am
wondering how things are going
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 05:27 am
tests tests and more test. The results are however IN.
lvl 2b
nothing below the diaphragm, good heart and lungs.
commence chemo nxt tue by IV at Albury Base hospital (which is a 4 hr drive)
Fortnightly doses for 3 months followed by a PET scan. If the scan shows all clear another 3 months of treatment. if not claer possibl,y a change in drugs or radiao therapy.

I just want to let all the Americans on this forum know that we do not have private health insurance and have not yet paid anything that we could not afford to pay from weekly wages. The largest expense to us has been travel.

sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 06:13 am
@dadpad,
Hey dadpad, thanks for the update.

Chemo.

How's the kid doing mentally?

And all of you?

Great about good heart and lungs. Fingers crossed that the chemo will whack this thing and he'll emerge just fine.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 06:38 am
@dadpad,
thanks for letting us know, dadpad.

2b is pretty good news, all things considered.

hang in there and hugs to all who need one.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 06:41 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
The largest expense to us has been travel.

two things. Check for government grants re travel for treatment. Contact your local cancer society re some funding for travel to treatment. One or both may be available to assist with those costs (overnight housing sometimes as well).
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 06:51 am
@ehBeth,
http://www.cancer.org.au/AboutUs/OurMembers.htm

pick your regional group, select support - there are details in most regions such as
Quote:
Help with practical issues
A diagnosis of cancer can present many challenges, and some of these are very practical issues such as transport to the nearest treatment centre, accommodation away from home, financial difficulties due to loss of income, or the need for a wig, breast prosthesis or practical home aides.

Cancer Council Queensland offers a range of services that may be of assistance.

http://www.cancerqld.org.au/support.asp

http://www.cancerqld.org.au/newlyDiagnosed_support/practicalIssues/transport.asp

DrewDad

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 06:56 am
@dadpad,
Thanks for the update. Hoping everything continues in the proper direction.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:11 pm
@dadpad,
A plan.

Good.

A bitch about the travel, it'll add to the exhaustion, but what a blessing re health coverage dadpad.

Our family has had some experience in lengthy hospital stays and travelling (not usually four hours thank god) and subsequent looooooong days rife with worry at the hospital. Just a common sense tip that you've probably already thought of: pack a cooler bag for the trips: sammies and other carbs, fresh veggies, and chocolate/cookies/sweet something: instant energy. Comfy loose fitting clothes, sweaters, socks, and reading material. Pen and paper. Forgive me if that’s all self-evident. It made the days bearable. Hospital food can be really crappy and expensive.

Will you and mumpad both go?
Joeblow

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Good info.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 11:34 pm
Fingers crossed, dp!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 01:14 am
@ehBeth,
Thank you ehbeth et al. I will read your links shortly however, we have arranged assistance with travel expenses through the Victorian Isolated Patient Transport Assistance Scheme (VIPTAS) via DHS (dept human sevices) they will reimburse 18 cents per KM which is around our total fuel costs.
dadpad

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 01:22 am
@Joeblow,
Joeblow wrote:

A bitch about the travel, it'll add to the exhaustion, but what a blessing re health coverage dadpad.

Will you and mumpad both go?

Its only once a fortnight and we will take turns so that neither of our workplaces suffer unduly. Really the trip is a walk in the park compared to some of the work trips i have to nake. 1/2 hour on paved secondary roads then 3 hrs freeway. Thanks for the tips on food and clothing thats the kind of info that only comes from experience.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 03:28 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Thank you ehbeth et al. I will read your links shortly however, we have arranged assistance with travel expenses through the Victorian Isolated Patient Transport Assistance Scheme (VIPTAS) via DHS (dept human sevices) they will reimburse 18 cents per KM which is around our total fuel costs.

Cool! When I worked in a hospital, there was only IPTAAS (which was federal) and ran out of money by February.

Still, it ain't no fun.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Pad Family))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 02:10 am
All is proceeding to plan at present. David has had his second round of chemo and (according to the oncologist) a lump under his arm feels smaller.
Chemo seems to have an effect for about 3 days then he comes good and the anti nausea drugs make him swell up for a day or so.
3 months of fortnightly chemo doses then a pet scan to see if that has cleared up the cancerouse growth, then a further 3 months to ensure it wont come back,