0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 09:26 pm
Maddening.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 02:07 am
@Roberta,
They couldn't access the tumour? And have to find "a new course of action?
What?Confused
Roberta, I'm so sorry that you've had to go through all this build-up for surgery -thinking that this would be over soon - only to find that the story continues!
I don't get it, I really don't. I suspect you don't get it, either.
I feel so sorry for you. You don't need any more of this, for god's sake! Sad
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 02:45 am
I arrived at 6 a.m. on the button. I waited a very short time and was taken into the changing room/presurgery area. I had locker number 1. I was wheeled down to the surgery floor, again with very little wait.

I was met by an intern, who would be assisting. Then my doctor/surgeon came to say hello. I had a long talk with the anesthesiologist.

Without too much wait, I was wheeled into the OR., where I met my doctor's boss, the head of ENT. He expressed some concerns about getting at the damned tumor.

I was placed on the operating table and was hooked up to an IV. I then heard a strange discussion about a piece of equipment necessary for the laser procedure. It was arranged to be sent over from an affiliate hospital. It arrived, but instead of being sent to the OR, it had to be sterilized, even though it was sterilized at the other hospital.

There was a great deal of activity, discussion, running around. My doctor kept muttering, "What about the patient?" After a bit of time, it was determined that the was nothing that could be done. It was now about 9 a.m. I would have to wait until about 1 p.m.

I was removed from the operating table. I was angry and not very nice. I was taken, not to the holding area, but to the recovery room. This meant that I had no glasses and couldn't see. It also meant that I was not allowed to get off the bed. I started to cry. It started as a sprinkle, but soon became a torrent. I told the nurse I wanted to go home. I simply could not stand the tension, the wait, the rage. I wanted to reschedule the surgery.

The nurse contacted the doctors. The intern came to see me to talk me out of leaving. They had gone to great lenths to get the necessary laser equipment all in one place. Fine, then. Where was it. Unexpected hospital red tape. I expressed my concern about being operated on when I was so emotionally overwrought. He suggested sedation. I agreed.

Two anesthesiologists came to see me. Sedation was not a good idea. One stayed to "shmooze"--their word, not mine.

Since I didn't have my glasses and couldn't see anything clearly, I had no idea what any of the doctors or nurses looked like. Couldn't recognize anyone or anything.

I tried sleeping. I had been without sleep since Saturday. However, I had a bp thingie attached to my arm, which was activated every ten minutes or so. Too painful to sleep through.

I couldn't see the clock, so I had no idea what time it was.

I was eventually taken to a waiting area to reenter the OR. I waited what seemed like a long time and started crying again. I got back in the OR at about 2 p.m.

I awoke I don't know what time. I have a vague recollection of doctors talking to me. I had been informed at my preop meeting with an anesthesiologist that amnesia is fairly common immediately after surgery. I don't remember what the doctors said to me. When I reawoke, the nurse informed me that the tumor was still there. I had an appointment on Wednesday to discuss what could be done next. I asked to see a doctor. He was paged. Don't remember what happened.

Terrible pain in my throat and mouth.

Slept on and off for a while.

At about 7:30, I left the recovery room and was moved to the preop holding area. I got my glasses. I called my friend's daughter, who would get me out of the hospital. She came in from Brooklyn.

I got dressed.

I was given a prescription for pain killers. It was now almost eight o'clock. I asked for the pills. Don't want a prescription; want the meds. I was given one pill.

My friend arrived and got me out of the hospital and into a cab. All I needed.

I hadn't eaten in almost 22 hours. Juice was too harsh. Soup tasted funny. Had a milk shake. Took some OTC pain meds and went to sleep. Slept for two hours. When I put my head down, my throat closes up. Can't breathe. I'll call the doctor in the morning.

I'm fairly certain that the next course of action will be radiation. A nightmare I was hoping to avoid.

I probably overreacted at the delay. But overall, my worst fears were realized. They couldn't get the tube down my throat (I guess.)

My lips are swollen, my tongue is sore and only partially functioning. My throat is sore beyond sore.

Not a happy camper.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 03:54 am
@Roberta,
So frustrating. I am so sorry it went so badly.
Joe(You are in our every thought.)Nation
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 04:26 am
Oh honey, that just sucks in ways that things should not suck.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 04:57 am
@Roberta,
Damn.

DamndamndamndamnDAMN!

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 05:21 am
@Roberta,
Ai-ai-ai, that wasn't a nice experience at all, to put it mildly.
Der mensch trakht und Gott lahkht ...

Sending best wishes and keeping you in our thoughts.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 05:38 am
@Roberta,
Well that just ain't right.

Damn.

Thanks so much for updating us. Sincerely hoping things get better from here.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 05:39 am
@Roberta,
frig.

enough with the character-building experiences already...
Izzie

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 05:50 am
@Region Philbis,
Oh B*llocks. So sorry it didn't go to plan Berta...I hope you can rest up and your brain will stop churning for a while...

more waiting time... whilst you feel as tho time is standing still...

just so p*ssed for you.

Hugs hun xxxx
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 05:52 am
@Region Philbis,
Well that just sucks.

Keep typing and stay distracted as best you can, Roberta.

HUGS!!!!!
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 06:59 am
@Roberta,
That story is a nightmare.
God, not being able to see, that alone doesn't put you at your best. (I have experience.) Let alone everything else that happened.
Please rest and chill and take care of yourself, so that you can go in there on Wednesday and get answers.
((((hugs))))
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 08:21 am
@Roberta,
Yes.

Rest today.

Answers tomorrow.

You deserve both...and more.

((((HUGS))))

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 08:29 am
@Roberta,
Hoping things get better for you, Roberta.

BBB
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 08:33 am
Oh, Roberta, I am sooooo sorry to hear this.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 08:42 am
@Roberta,
Roberta, I hope the OTC meds are helping and you're getting some rest. What a horrible experience!

Will there be someone with you at the appointment tomorrow?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 10:49 am
Damn.
Hoping you are getting at least a little sleep.
0 Replies