Legalization of Marijuana

DrewDad

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:52 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
So you have some real evidence of the harms of marijuana?

The studies are readily available on the web, and I've linked to some of them in a previous post.

Your links mostly seem to suggest "we don't know what will happen."

joefromchicago wrote:
But why should I bother? You'll simply dismiss any study that points out the dangers of marijuana as being politically motivated, just as I have little faith in the objectivity of the studies that you post. Indeed, I'm dubious of all the research on marijuana, since both sides have a vested interest in the results of the studies. That's why I rely on the assumptions made by the advocates of marijuana legalization: I don't need to sort through all of the competing scientific claims to understand what the political debate is really all about.

If you have no hard data, then just say you have no hard data. Basing your argument on the assumptions in someone else's argument is just plain dumb.

I posted a comparison of recent drug statistics in the Netherlands versus the US, and they do not show that tolerating marijuana use will result in harm to society; quite the opposite in fact. Mainly from keeping the "soft drug" population away from the "hard drug" population.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 10:27 pm
For anybody who might be interested...

They basically banned marijuana for the benefit of Weyerhauser and Dupont who didn't want hemp competing with their forestry business for producing paper. Try doing google searches on 'marijuana', 'hemp', 'weyerhauser', and 'dupont'.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 11:30 pm
Legalize it, and legalize all other prohibited drugs as well.

Legalize heroin, cocaine, magic mushrooms, LSD, and the free use of all, here-to-fore, controlled substances.

First of all, to achieve an altered state is clearly a human imperative. Why? Who cares? It's close enough to the Godhead to suggest a positive inclination, and absent the Godhead, it has been the imperative of mankind for hundreds of thousands of years. Man seeks food - Good! Man seeks shelter - Good! Man seeks sexual congress - Good! Man seeks altered states -- Good!

[ BTW ---- Man seeks dominance -- Good!]

Secondly, criminalizing drug creates vast and violent criminal organizations. See Prohibition.

Finally, if citizens wish to destroy themselves (without cost to the State), the State should leave them be.

This third point is the dicey one.

If drugs are legalized, there will, of course, still be addicts. Legalization of drugs will, in my opinion, neither retard nor enhance the addiction rate among our citizenry.

To the extent these addicts become menaces to society (a la drunk drivers) lock them up. To the extent they harm only themselves (and their families), leave them be.

I do not want to spend one dollar of my taxes to respond to addiction.

It is not a disease, it is a choice.
0 Replies

dreagen

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:44 am
This was my first post on this Site for a long time. I remember when it said Able2Know.com >> Ask an Expert
Ohh wait it still says that. I logged on to get some good debate to help me figure out the pro's and con's of this issue. I did not think that there would be so much uninformed posts on this. Yes there are some very valid points for both sides of the issue in these 15 pages but most of them are - You are an idiot Posts -

There are a few things that have stood out in these 15 pages. One thing that stands out was someone posted (I can't remember the Page so I am not quoting)
Booze = Liver Cancer
Pot = Lung Cancer

If you look at current research you will see there is no proof of Pot causing Lung cancer. Not only that, if you do not believe that, and you are worried about Lung cancer, don't smoke it EAT IT.
Marijuana is being used for cancer patients to stop nausea. They can't eat it so in canada they have created a Marijuana Mist so they don't have to smoke it or eat it they can spray this mist and they are good.

There was another post that I really liked and it was a quote from a jazz singer that said "The most dangerous thing about Pot is the chance you will go to jail." The one thing that I feel is there is something that is even more dangerous with Marijuana. I am a professional. I have to wear a tie everyday and have large meetings with CEO's and COO's of companies. I have earned a lot of respect with the community of people I deal with. If I want to get a bag I have to deal with people that deal with Criminals all the time. The dealers that I have seen and the dealers that I would have to deal with are not the most caring individuals I know and it would make me nervous to put myself in that situation.

I will be honest with you I think my position is more of a Legalize now just because all the arguments for keeping it illegal are arguments I was taught in School 20 years ago and have been proven as myth's since. The only people that I think might have a right to argue this are those that think they should make Alcohol Illegal also. Atleast they don't want any of those "Poisons" available. But to them I say look at Prohibition. You are making Criminals of good citizens that provide a lot for a community.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:46 am
I initially thought that post was satire, but I'm sad to say I think he's being earnest.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 08:03 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm honestly surprised at the level of argument you are presenting here, Joe.

First of all, a million hits on google is nothing. Practically any search term will number you a million hits.

You mean you weren't swayed by your own words that I quoted?

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Second, this phrase -

Quote:

The harm or potential harm to others I assume to be similar or identical to the harm or potential harm to others that is posed by alcohol.

Is not countered in any fashion by saying 'marijuana is no worse then alcohol.' That sentence does not imply equivalence, but in fact points out that much more inimical substances are legally regulated, so why not this one? To build your argument off such a weak point is not recommended.

Six of one, half dozen of the other. Marijuana advocates compare laws regulating marijuana and those regulating alcohol because they believe that the two substances are similar enough to be regulated in the same fashion.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Joe, should all new drugs which are discovered from this point forward be illegal? Certainly given modern medical technology and the exploration of the remote areas of the world, we will discover plants and substances which have drug-like effects upon the body. None of these substances will have a 'cultural history' with the Western world. Should they be illegal?

I'm willing to evaluate new drugs on a case-by-case basis.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Why do you believe this is true?

Why do you jump to that conclusion?

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I have a real problem with your standard of legality relying upon cultural history. Also, this line -

Quote:

Only if you believe that marijuana and alcohol are alike in all respects.

Is patently ridiculous. No two things are alike in all respects, yet many things are treated alike. Tobacco and Alcohol are not alike in all respects, yet both are treated essentially the same by our society - legal, but limited in certain ways.

Fine. I'll amend my remark to read: "Only if you believe marijuana and alcohol are alike in all relevant respects.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Your 'alcohol is too widespread' argument is bullsh*t. Laws deserve to stand or fall upon their own merits, not upon cultural history. You haven't shown in any way that marijuana should be illegal.

Well, I haven't convinced you, that's clear. Why that is I don't know, since your reasoning is more or less along the lines of "your argument is bullshit." But to suggest that cultural factors should not play a role in the promulgation of laws is, frankly, absurd.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 08:10 am
Chumly wrote:
On what pragmatic rationale do you base your view of at most favoring a decriminalization of marijuana usage if you are unable to quality and quantify the overall harm done in the present circumstances versus circumstances in which marijuana was legal?

I am unable to quantify the effects of legalized marijuana in this country because I don't know what those effects might be. And, I will hasten to add, neither do you or any other advocates of legalization. Any estimates that I could give would be pure guesswork, which is why I don't offer any. I cannot fathom why you are unable to understand that simple point.

As for the examples of other nations, such as the Netherlands, that have either legalized marijuana or have, in effect, stopped enforcing their laws against marijuana usage, their examples are interesting but not compelling. Different cultures yield different results. I imagine that if the Dutch had as many handguns as Americans the Dutch murder rate wouldn't be as high as the USA's.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 08:16 am
DrewDad wrote:
Your links mostly seem to suggest "we don't know what will happen."

That's true also, but you obviously missed the links that I posted. For your benefit, I'll give them here:
    (1) Studies on the widespread use of marijuana (i.e. the type of usage that might be expected in the event that pot were legalized) have never been attempted, and, indeed, are practically impossible. As a result, any conclusions about the widespread effects of marijuana usage based upon current research studies are, at best, guesswork ([url=http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/general/who-approach.htm]source[/url]) (2) Consequently, when attempting to predict the widespread social effects of pot legalization, we are forced to rely upon analogies to currently legal and somewhat comparable substances. Pot has characteristics in common with both tobacco and alcohol, ([url=http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/general/who-comparison.htm]source[/url]) so analogies to alcohol and tobacco usage can be employed to form some idea of the possible social effects of legalized marijuana (all the while acknowledging, of course, the limitations of such an approach). (3) Habitual marijuana users experience many of the same health problems found in heavy tobacco users ([url=http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/medical/hollisterhealth.htm]source[/url]), including an increased risk of pulmonary cancers ([url=http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/general/gier1.htm#myth2]source[/url]), although much more work needs to be done to determine the nature and extent of these problems (e.g. whether pot usage can lead to emphysema [url=http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/general/gier1.htm#myth3]source[/url]). (4) Marijuana usage has many parallels to alcohol usage ([url=http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/general/who-comparison.htm]source[/url]). Although there are differences (e.g. pot usage is less likely to lead to violent behavior), it seems clear that pot causes some of the same cognitive and psychological problems as alcohol, including psychological dependence (ibid.).

DrewDad wrote:
If you have no hard data, then just say you have no hard data. Basing your argument on the assumptions in someone else's argument is just plain dumb.

I have hard data, just none that I think you'd be willing to accept. That's OK, though. I don't necessarily accept them either, just as I am dubious about the data that you post.

DrewDad wrote:
I posted a comparison of recent drug statistics in the Netherlands versus the US, and they do not show that tolerating marijuana use will result in harm to society; quite the opposite in fact. Mainly from keeping the "soft drug" population away from the "hard drug" population.

As I replied to Chumly, foreign examples are interesting, they're not compelling.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 08:44 am
Joe -- In earlier threads on this subject, we have established that we disagree about the data on legalized drug use. (Basically, I claim, and you disagree, that the pre-World-War-I regime of legalized pot, cocaine, and opium supplies a useful precedent for what would would happen after legalization today.) I don't want to rehash this particular point, so I'll accept your list of fact findings for the sake of the argument.

In other earlier threads, you have agreed with the notion that America has a free society and a limited government. You wouldn't push this idea as far as I would, but you agreed with the principle. Is this still the case?

Assuming that it is, I suggest to you that as a consequence of this principle, there ought to be a presumption of liberty. "We don't know what will happen" ought to inhibit the government's zeal to criminalize; in other words, the burden to prove a danger to the public should be on whoever seeks to prohibit a particular conduct. If we had acted on this principle from the beginning, we would never have burnt wiches or hung people for disbelieving in god and participating in oral sex. It's a good principle, and it should apply to drugs too.

If you disagree with this, where do I get it wrong? If you agree with it, how does it not follow that recreational drugs should at least tentatively be legalized? Why shouldn't they be re-criminalized only when there's clear and persuasive evidence of serious harm to third parties -- serious enough to render "sin taxes" impractical?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:29 am
Thomas wrote:
In other earlier threads, you have agreed with the notion that America has a free society and a limited government. You wouldn't push this idea as far as I would, but you agreed with the principle. Is this still the case?

Sure.

Thomas wrote:
Assuming that it is, I suggest to you that as a consequence of this principle, there ought to be a presumption of liberty. "We don't know what will happen" ought to inhibit the government's zeal to criminalize; in other words, the burden to prove a danger to the public should be on whoever seeks to prohibit a particular conduct. If we had acted on this principle from the beginning, we would never have burnt wiches or hung people for disbelieving in god and participating in oral sex. It's a good principle, and it should apply to drugs too.

Yes, and I'm pretty sure you also want this principle applied to the approval of new drugs. And if someone is injured (say, by Thalidomide, for instance), well then that just serves as a useful warning to others.

Thomas wrote:
If you disagree with this, where do I get it wrong? If you agree with it, how does it not follow that recreational drugs should at least tentatively be legalized? Why shouldn't they be re-criminalized only when there's clear and persuasive evidence of serious harm to third parties -- serious enough to render "sin taxes" impractical?

It's not surprising that you disagree with me on this point. You, and libertarians in general, tend to view people as being risk-acceptant, whereas I tend to view people as risk-averse. In my opinion, libertarians see people as risk-acceptant because it accords with their social and economic theories; I view people as risk-averse because it accords with the real-life actions of real people.

When a substance is potentially harmful, libertarians resort to the argument that "when in doubt, make it legal" because they think that people will gladly accept the risk that the substance will not be as benign as hoped. I, on the other hand, tend to adopt the argument that "when in doubt, restrict it or prohibit it" because I think that people will not accept that risk. Admittedly, I don't have as much faith in the overall rationality of people as do libertarians, but then I also haven't bought into a grand socioeconomic theory that is based on that assumption.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:48 am
Quote:

It's not surprising that you disagree with me on this point. You, and libertarians in general, tend to view people as being risk-acceptant, whereas I tend to view people as risk-averse. In my opinion, libertarians see people as risk-acceptant because it accords with their social and economic theories; I view people as risk-averse because it accords with the real-life actions of real people.

Or, better written, You view people as risk-averse b/c it accords with your social and economic principles.

Surely you realize that the risk of damage or danger has rarely if ever stopped humans from doing something. I have a hard time understanding why, knowing the risk of lung cancer, significant amounts of people smoke; significant amounts drink; and significant amounts smoke pot. Their real-life actions do not meet your standard of being 'risk-averse.'

Quote:

When a substance is potentially harmful, libertarians resort to the argument that "when in doubt, make it legal" because they think that people will gladly accept the risk that the substance will not be as benign as hoped. I, on the other hand, tend to adopt the argument that "when in doubt, restrict it or prohibit it" because I think that people will not accept that risk.

Isn't it up to people, individually, to decide whether or not to take that risk? Why do you need to decide it for them? I submit that your 'rationality' is not absolute, yet you seek to brand anyone who does not follow your risk-averse plans as 'irrational.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:55 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Yes, and I'm pretty sure you also want this principle applied to the approval of new drugs.

That depends on your definition of "applied". I have no problem that there exists an FDA testing new drugs for safety and efficacy. I have no problem when it approves or disapproves of drugs based on its findings. But I do have a problem that it's illegal to consume drugs the FDA hasn't approved of, and I do have a problem that there is a DEA enforcing the criminalization of non-approved drugs.

joefromchicago wrote:

I'm sure this is a profound and devastating critique of libertarianism, but I don't understand it. If the laws were permissive, as I wish they'd be, and if the people were risk-averse, as you think they are, then nobody would consume a drug the government deemed un-kosher. You and I would have no problem to discuss. But that's not the way it is. Laws against drugs exist precisely because without them, the people would take more risks with them than the government wants them to.

I guess what I'm asking is: when you say that you view people as risk-averse, whom do you mean by "people"?

joefromchicago wrote:
Admittedly, I don't have as much faith in the overall rationality of people as do libertarians, but then I also haven't bought into a grand socioeconomic theory that is based on that assumption.

What can I say? Admittedly, I don't have as much faith in the overall rationality of lawmakers as you enlightened absolutists do. But then I also haven't bought into the grand socioeconomic theory that is based on that assumption.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 10:07 am
joefromchicago wrote:
When a substance is potentially harmful, libertarians resort to the argument that "when in doubt, make it legal" because they think that people will gladly accept the risk that the substance will not be as benign as hoped.

And when a conduct is potentially harmful, enlightened absolutists resort to the argument "when in doubt, criminalize it" -- because they think that people will gladly accept the risk that the government will imprison them for no good reason whatsoever. I refer you to the experience of blasphemers, sodomists, and trade unionists in 19th century America. Or exporters of wool (who committed a hanging crime) in 18th century England.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 10:37 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
When a substance is potentially harmful, libertarians resort to the argument that "when in doubt, make it legal" because they think that people will gladly accept the risk that the substance will not be as benign as hoped. I, on the other hand, tend to adopt the argument that "when in doubt, restrict it or prohibit it" because I think that people will not accept that risk.

Isn't it up to people, individually, to decide whether or not to take that risk? Why do you need to decide it for them? I submit that your 'rationality' is not absolute, yet you seek to brand anyone who does not follow your risk-averse plans as 'irrational.'

Cycloptichorn

You mean like seat belts, helmets, lead paint, asbestos, tainted meat and vegetables? Why bother even having an FDA if it's up to people, individually, to decide whether or not to take that risk?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 11:12 am
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

You mean like seat belts, helmets, lead paint, asbestos, tainted meat and vegetables? Why bother even having an FDA if it's up to people, individually, to decide whether or not to take that risk?

I thought you were against the "nanny-state"?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 11:13 am
Why isn't there a law against inhaling wood smoke? It's known to be dangerous, yet the government doesn't seem to assume that people are dumb enough to do it....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 11:14 am
My point being, that Joe seems to be advocating a nanny-state.

Which is fine, except that his enforcement seems oddly inconsistent.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 11:36 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Or, better written, You view people as risk-averse b/c it accords with your social and economic principles.

Not really. People just aren't very risk-acceptant, possibly because they're so bad at evaluating risk. Check out the work of Daniel Kahneman.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Surely you realize that the risk of damage or danger has rarely if ever stopped humans from doing something. I have a hard time understanding why, knowing the risk of lung cancer, significant amounts of people smoke; significant amounts drink; and significant amounts smoke pot. Their real-life actions do not meet your standard of being 'risk-averse.'

On the contrary. People who smoke either don't consider the risk, or else they tend to think that other people get lung cancer. That's because they will reconcile their own desires to fit with their perception of the likelihood of risk. In other words, the more a person wants something, the less risky it will be perceived. Given a more value-neutral problem, however, and people will tend to show just how risk-averse they really are. For instance, give people a choice of either receiving a dollar or a 20% chance at winning $5, most people will take the dollar, even though, over the course of five iterations, the payoffs will, on average, be exactly the same.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Isn't it up to people, individually, to decide whether or not to take that risk? Why do you need to decide it for them?

I'm not deciding for them. The legislature has decided for them. And the people decided that they want the legislature deciding for them. That's called "democracy."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 11:42 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Not really. People just aren't very risk-acceptant, possibly because they're so bad at evaluating risk. Check out the work of Daniel Kahneman.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

On the contrary. People who smoke either don't consider the risk, or else they tend to think that other people get lung cancer. That's because they will reconcile their own desires to fit with their perception of the likelihood of risk. In other words, the more a person wants something, the less risky it will be perceived. Given a more value-neutral problem, however, and people will tend to show just how risk-averse they really are. For instance, give people a choice of either receiving a dollar or a 20% chance at winning $5, most people will take the dollar, even though, over the course of five iterations, the payoffs will, on average, be exactly the same.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Isn't it up to people, individually, to decide whether or not to take that risk? Why do you need to decide it for them?

I'm not deciding for them. The legislature has decided for them. And the people decided that they want the legislature deciding for them. That's called "democracy."

You're playing a circular game here: we aren't discussing the fact that marijuana currently is illegal under the law, but whether or not it should be. The fact that it is currently illegal has little to nothing to do with any currently elected representative, and quite a bit to do with Anslinger and American history.

I don't understand where you draw your data from pertaining to people's attitudes risk. Is this merely an assumption of yours, or are you working off of some data set showing that people play it safe the majority of the time?

I also find it to be astounding that you assume that people who smoke and drink don't consider the risks of doing so. I have a hard time understanding where you draw your data from which to make such sweeping statements.

I think that you are freely mixing personal and unsubstantiated opinion with a logical argument, and that's why you are coming out so muddy.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 11:47 am
Joe - You ARE deciding for them as it is YOU who put the legislator in the position to lesislate for YOU.

If you want a legislator to do something you tell them to do something. If they do not, you fire them and vote the next person in.

This debate (or non debate) will not get to the legislators since it is percieved by them that the public continues to want Hemp to be criminalized. Voters, as we already know, are patsies and will do what THEY are told.

Until the voters want Hemp legalized, it will not happen.
0 Replies