Legalization of Marijuana

blatham

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 07:46 am
McGentrix wrote:
The term in "drug" is meaningless? Huh. When did that happen?

Main Entry: 1drug
Pronunciation: 'dr&g
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English drogge
1 a obsolete : a substance used in dyeing or chemical operations b : a substance used as a medication or in the preparation of medication c according to the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (1) : a substance recognized in an official pharmacopoeia or formulary (2) : a substance intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease (3) : a substance other than food intended to affect the structure or function of the body (4) : a substance intended for use as a component of a medicine but not a device or a component, part, or accessory of a device
2 : a commodity that is not salable or for which there is no demand -- used in the phrase drug on the market
3 : something and often an illegal substance that causes addiction, habituation, or a marked change in consciousness

Doesn't seem at all jingoistic, nor for the simple-minded.

People can drink a beer with dinner and safely drive home. Can't really smoke a doob with dinner and do the same. That some people do not drink in moderation is not really a good example to use. Lots of people do stupid **** all the time.

Is it your implication that the sentence in red offers up some coherent means to differentiate a 'drug' from other ingestibles?

It really doesn't. The factor you leave unaddressed is dosage. Caffeine or nicotine or many other compounds, in sufficient amounts, will have deleterious effects re perception, response, etc even to the point of death. I don't imagine you would bother claiming that alcohol isn't a 'drug' except in reference to cultural biases or legal definitions, themselves a reflection of cultural norms and biases. Of course, we could rewrite your sentence in red but with the joint filled with low grade marijuana and the alcohol portion being a quart of whiskey.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:00 am
kuvasz wrote:
You posted your opinion ad nauseum on other threads about this so why don't you sit back and spare us your continuing attempt at inflicting your own personal mouth-breathing morality on the rest of us...

Given that this is about the hundredth thread on the legalization of marijuana, I expect that there will be a lot of long-time members here who will post essentially the exact same arguments that they've posted in the other ninety-nine marijuana threads. I suppose you'd prefer it if everyone just posted "ditto?"

kuvasz wrote:
...its not so much that you are a unmitigated bore, and you are that to a tee...

Whatsamatta, kuv, somebody take away your coffee?

kuvasz wrote:
...but that you've said it all before.

Well, I'm glad at least one person was paying attention.

kuvasz wrote:
If you going to hijack this thread as your personal crusade just cut and paste your earlier nonsense and be done with it.

My post was directly on point. I'll leave it to others to decide if I was hijacking the thread.
0 Replies

dreagen

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:02 am
mikey wrote:
ehbeth...legal ok but taxed? we've enough taxes as it is. the price would double if the govt were involved.
I am on the fence about legalization and the main reason I am for it is because of the taxation that can be done by the government. But as far as price doubling check this article out:
http://economics.about.com/od/incometaxestaxcuts/a/marijuana.htm

I also agree that saying its not as bad as alcohol is not a good argument. Although Alcohol is bad I do not think that is a good argument. As an Ex-Pot Head I also do agree that driving under the influence of Marijuana can't be good. But then again I never wanted to go anywhere after I smoked. The other concerns for health, Lung Cancer. It is not proven and I think the only reason is a serious smoker is only going to smoke a couple times a day where I smoke a pack of Cigarettes a day. So yes I am more likely to get cancer. Also there are a lot of people that only eat Marijuana. (It is more of a body buzz so it helps more with pain)

Another Issue I have is how many people take Allergy Medication that alters your thinking and your reflexes. How many people take perscriptions that even say on the bottle "Do not Drive while taking this medication" but they still drive. I absolutly see No argument for not allowing Medical Marijuana.

So far those of you that are pulling arguments of keeping it legal are only convincing me that you have not done the proper research of the benifits and the more updated research (within the past 15 years).

Marijuana was made criminal in 1937, ignoring the American Medical Associations recomendations, So even then they knew there were benifits.

My next question is - Is it only illegal now because it will make the Government look stupid to legalize something that they have poured so much money into fighting for the past 20 years?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:29 am
blatham wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
The term in "drug" is meaningless? Huh. When did that happen?

Main Entry: 1drug
Pronunciation: 'dr&g
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English drogge
1 a obsolete : a substance used in dyeing or chemical operations b : a substance used as a medication or in the preparation of medication c according to the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (1) : a substance recognized in an official pharmacopoeia or formulary (2) : a substance intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease (3) : a substance other than food intended to affect the structure or function of the body (4) : a substance intended for use as a component of a medicine but not a device or a component, part, or accessory of a device
2 : a commodity that is not salable or for which there is no demand -- used in the phrase drug on the market
3 : something and often an illegal substance that causes addiction, habituation, or a marked change in consciousness

Doesn't seem at all jingoistic, nor for the simple-minded.

People can drink a beer with dinner and safely drive home. Can't really smoke a doob with dinner and do the same. That some people do not drink in moderation is not really a good example to use. Lots of people do stupid **** all the time.

Is it your implication that the sentence in red offers up some coherent means to differentiate a 'drug' from other ingestibles?

It really doesn't. The factor you leave unaddressed is dosage. Caffeine or nicotine or many other compounds, in sufficient amounts, will have deleterious effects re perception, response, etc even to the point of death. I don't imagine you would bother claiming that alcohol isn't a 'drug' except in reference to cultural biases or legal definitions, themselves a reflection of cultural norms and biases. Of course, we could rewrite your sentence in red but with the joint filled with low grade marijuana and the alcohol portion being a quart of whiskey.

Actually, the quote in red was addressing Baldimo's post. If you re-wrote, it wouldn't be what I said now would it?

I am not sure that you seem to be grasping what I am saying. I've not said other drugs are not dangerous, nor have I suggested alcohol is not a drug. Alcohol is a drug that can be used in moderation and low quantities and not have any deleterious effects on the body. The same can not be said for marijuana. A single hit (of the good stuff) can make one very impaired. A single hit of even the strongest alcohol will not. Of course there are exceptions and I feel that if I do not mention that, someone will feel it their duty to do so. I am sure a single shot of a fine Scittish whiskey can impair a four year old, I understand that, but that would be illegal, just as marijuana is.

The fact that marijuana is illegal could also explain why there are not vast numbers of studies and accident reports showing the results of impaired motor functions on drivers. Alcohol is legal. One can go to bar, get loaded and drive home.
Cannabis increases car-crash risk imagine the statistics were it legal.

Now, bear this all in mind when I once again reiterate: I believe marijuana should be legal. Responsible adults can use marijuana responsibly and safely. The irresponsible ones will smoke it anyways.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:06 am
McGentrix wrote:

I'm reminded of the scene in the Big Lebowski where the Dude sees a cop, tries to toss his joint out the window, and crashes when it bounces off the closed window and lands in his lap....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:07 am
joefromchicago wrote:
I am always baffled by people who say that marijuana should be legalized because it's no worse than alcohol.

That's rather like saying that, since you already have diabetes, you won't mind having malaria too.

More along the lines of if one already eats bacon then why not have eggs, too?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:13 am
As for marijuana and psychosis, depression, bi-polar, etc.:

1. "Self medication" is a well-known phenomenon in psychology. One has a hard time determining whether the drugs triggered the illness, or if the illness triggered drug use.
2. Many other substances that are frequently used with marijuana, such as Ecstacy, have a much greater effect on brain chemistry. (Ecstacy, e.g. damages neurotransmitter receptor sites.) It is hard to separate the effects of the various drugs.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:30 am
BM
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:50 am
Many of the posts here have cited medical reasons for not smoking pot.
Wasn't the thread's original question about legal reasons?

I'll risk paraphrasing that often used statement of "if something as dangerous as alcohol is legal, so should pot be legal."
The only times I've ever made an ass of myself is when I've been drinking. The only times I've ever done anything dangerously stupid is when I've been drinking alcohol.
The only time I ever got sick and puked in a friend's newly landscaped yard was when I was drunk.

However, I've never done anything dangerous or regrettable while high on pot. I've never forgotten what I did the night before, and I've never gotten physically ill while high on pot.

From those personal experiences, and all the statistics regarding deaths and injuries caused by drunk drivers etc., I've come to conclude that pot is a less dangerous-to-society drug, than alcohol.
Medical data and facts aside.

I can't think of any reasons why pot should still be illegal.
But I also can't think of any reasons why alcohol should be legal!

0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 10:16 am
I was just about to write pretty much the same thing Happycat just did, so I'll just agree with her and the others who have stated pretty much the same thing.

I've been burdened and abused by enough alcoholics in my life, I still wonder why alcohol is legal, but I've yet to be burdened or abused by a pot smoker.

I've also done stupid things after drinking alcohol, but I can't recal ever doing anything stupid while high on grass.

I still can't figure out why the government doesn't make it legal and cash in on it. Can you imagine the money it would generate?
People are going to smoke it regardless of whether it's legal or not.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 10:28 am
Miller wrote:
Quote:
In the short term, marijuana use impairs perception, judgment, thinking, memory, and learning; memory defects may persist six weeks after last use. Mental disorders connected with marijuana use merit their own category in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) IV, published by the American Psychiatric Association. These include Cannabis Intoxication (consisting of impaired motor coordination, anxiety, impaired judgment, sensation of slowed time, social withdrawal, and often includes perceptual disturbances; Cannabis Intoxication Delirium (memory deficit, disorientation); Cannabis Induced Psychotic Disorder, Delusions; Cannabis Induced Psychotic Disorder, Hallucinations; and Cannabis Induced Anxiety Disorder.

In addition, marijuana use has many indirect effects on health. Its effect on coordination, perception, and judgment means that it causes a number of accidents, vehicular and otherwise.

For further information, you may find the following sites helpful:

* www.sarnia.com/GROUPS/ANTIDRUG/reality/updatejl.html, for information on links between marijuana use and mental health risks.
* www.sarnia.com/GROUPS/ANTIDRUG/mrr/21.96.10.html, for more information on the indirect effects of marijuana on health
* http://www.adf.org.au/drughit, the Australian Drug Foundation's website
* http://marijuananews.com/a_safe_ high_.htm, a reprint of New Science magazine's "Marijuana Special Report: A Safe High?" with commentary
* http://marijuananews.com/claim_four.htm, an article about the similarity of long-term marijuana use's effect on the brain to that of "hard" drugs, with commentary
* www.drugs.indiana.edu/publications/iprc/misc/smokescreen.html, for general information on the health risks of marijuana.
* http://www.health.org, the homepage of the National Clearinghouse on Alcohol and Drug Information, for general information on marijuana.

Excellent references.

Thanks, Mcgentrix

Jeez, don't you read other people's posts? Or actually click on links before labelling them 'excellent references?'

'cept for the last one, those are all dead links. Great 'references.'

Quote:

I am not sure that you seem to be grasping what I am saying. I've not said other drugs are not dangerous, nor have I suggested alcohol is not a drug. Alcohol is a drug that can be used in moderation and low quantities and not have any deleterious effects on the body. The same can not be said for marijuana. A single hit (of the good stuff) can make one very impaired. A single hit of even the strongest alcohol will not. Of course there are exceptions and I feel that if I do not mention that, someone will feel it their duty to do so. I am sure a single shot of a fine Scittish whiskey can impair a four year old, I understand that, but that would be illegal, just as marijuana is.

The fact that marijuana is illegal could also explain why there are not vast numbers of studies and accident reports showing the results of impaired motor functions on drivers. Alcohol is legal. One can go to bar, get loaded and drive home.

The 'good stuff' is akin to high-test alcohol; yes, a single hit will mess you up some if you aren't used to it. I guarantee a single shot of Bacardi 151 or everclear will impair your ability to drive if you aren't used to drinking.

What really kills me is that you say 'One can go to bar, get loaded and drive home.' This is absolutely untrue. One cannot drive home after they have been 'loaded' at the bar. From your link -

Quote:
However the researchers said more research was needed to understand how cannabis use was linked to risk-taking behaviour, and how other factors - such as the person also using alcohol - might affect.

Often, cannabis is mixed with alcohol or other drugs. That's a dangerous situation, and one which likely does lead to car accidents. But that doesn't make marijuana solely responsible for the accidents.

I think that you must not have much experience with the drug, in order to claim that one could drive better 'loaded' on alcohol then on cannabis. It's simply untrue.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 10:33 am
The famous jazz musician "Mez" Mezzro was a heavy pot smoker, and as a consequence spent many of his most creative years in jail. The old jazz man was asked late in life, what negative effects he had seen connected with smoking pot. He held his breath, let out a thin stream of smoke and replied, "the most dangerous thing about reefer is it can put you in jail". Of course there is at least one other negative that "The Mez" didn't mention.

That other danger is the environment that illegality forces marijuana users into. I strongly suspect that the only time most heads ever come into contact with the criminal world is when they feel the urge to buy a lid. To purchase an illegal drug one has to deal with criminals whose unchecked greed colors the transaction. This fosters a disdain for society's laws, and exposes people to the darker side of human nature; a very dangerous thing in public policy terms. Its more profitable to get people to try other illegal, and more dangerous drugs. The profits to be made on heroin or crank or cocaine are many times greater than on a lid of grass. "Get the kid addicted, and you make money until he dies". Compare the risks and difficulties of smuggling a few kilos of cocaine against a few tons of grass, which is more profitable? Making alcohol illegal made the mob, and today the War on Drugs is enriching kingpins in South America.

I believe that smoking grass probably does increase the dangers of lung cancer for heavy users, but thats a risk that doesn't seem to deter old heads. Eating a Alice B. Toklas brownie truey is a better and more efficient means of getting high. Nothing is wasted, the onset of effects slowly accumulate over about half an hour, time enough to get comfortable and tucked in for the evening. No nasty tars to coat those otherwise healthy pink lungs. The problem is that illegally obtained grass remains so damned expensive, thanks to the effectiveness of the DEA (heh, heh), that most folks choose instead to piece out their dosages in bongs or joints.

I suppose its possible that some folks become habituated to weed, but I've never heard of anyone becoming a ganjaholic, or going crazy coming down from a five day jag. Shucks, most folks just go quietly to sleep and dream pleasantly after a few hours. When one is kicking back munching on sweet potato pie listening to Sketches of Spain, its hard to care about the jagged edge of daily existence, or aggressive enough to do more than take another hit. Monday morning, most pot heads are back at work on time and bushy tailed ready to murder the competition, but that isn't the fault of one of Mankind's oldest recreations.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 10:54 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Miller wrote:
Quote:
In the short term, marijuana use impairs perception, judgment, thinking, memory, and learning; memory defects may persist six weeks after last use. Mental disorders connected with marijuana use merit their own category in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) IV, published by the American Psychiatric Association. These include Cannabis Intoxication (consisting of impaired motor coordination, anxiety, impaired judgment, sensation of slowed time, social withdrawal, and often includes perceptual disturbances; Cannabis Intoxication Delirium (memory deficit, disorientation); Cannabis Induced Psychotic Disorder, Delusions; Cannabis Induced Psychotic Disorder, Hallucinations; and Cannabis Induced Anxiety Disorder.

In addition, marijuana use has many indirect effects on health. Its effect on coordination, perception, and judgment means that it causes a number of accidents, vehicular and otherwise.

For further information, you may find the following sites helpful:

* www.sarnia.com/GROUPS/ANTIDRUG/reality/updatejl.html, for information on links between marijuana use and mental health risks.
* www.sarnia.com/GROUPS/ANTIDRUG/mrr/21.96.10.html, for more information on the indirect effects of marijuana on health
* http://www.adf.org.au/drughit, the Australian Drug Foundation's website
* http://marijuananews.com/a_safe_ high_.htm, a reprint of New Science magazine's "Marijuana Special Report: A Safe High?" with commentary
* http://marijuananews.com/claim_four.htm, an article about the similarity of long-term marijuana use's effect on the brain to that of "hard" drugs, with commentary
* www.drugs.indiana.edu/publications/iprc/misc/smokescreen.html, for general information on the health risks of marijuana.
* http://www.health.org, the homepage of the National Clearinghouse on Alcohol and Drug Information, for general information on marijuana.

Excellent references.

Thanks, Mcgentrix

Jeez, don't you read other people's posts? Or actually click on links before labelling them 'excellent references?'

'cept for the last one, those are all dead links. Great 'references.'

Quote:

The 'good stuff' is akin to high-test alcohol; yes, a single hit will mess you up some if you aren't used to it. I guarantee a single shot of Bacardi 151 or everclear will impair your ability to drive if you aren't used to drinking.

What really kills me is that you say 'One can go to bar, get loaded and drive home.' This is absolutely untrue. One cannot drive home after they have been 'loaded' at the bar. From your link -

Quote:
However the researchers said more research was needed to understand how cannabis use was linked to risk-taking behaviour, and how other factors - such as the person also using alcohol - might affect.

Often, cannabis is mixed with alcohol or other drugs. That's a dangerous situation, and one which likely does lead to car accidents. But that doesn't make marijuana solely responsible for the accidents.

I think that you must not have much experience with the drug, in order to claim that one could drive better 'loaded' on alcohol then on cannabis. It's simply untrue.

Cycloptichorn

So, you are so heavily into disregarding anything I say, that you have become blind to what I write? Is that the case? Or, is it just a simple knee-jerk reaction that you see "McGentrix" and go into attack mode? Did I really instill such a pavlovian response into you? Sweet.

As far as the dead links go, I didn't write them. Perhaps you could take it up with the author of the article. I am sure they were valid when he used them.

Cycloptichorn while on a bender wrote:
What really kills me is that you say 'One can go to bar, get loaded and drive home.' This is absolutely untrue. One cannot drive home after they have been 'loaded' at the bar.

Question

Why does that really kill you? Did you drive home drunk? You must have because your reading skills are so diminished.

Want a cookie now puppy?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 10:58 am
No, what you've written is simply untrue. And it belies your inexperience with the subject for you to write such things.

The earlier article full of dead links is really nothing more then a propoganda piece cut and pasted from the DHS. There's no supporting evidence to back it up, and I showed already how the main crutch they rested some of their evidence on has turned out to be untrue in an earlier post.

You cannot go to a bar, get loaded, and drive home. You will probably hurt someone. What you have said is completely untrue.

I rarely drink alcohol at all these days - primarily because of the undesirable side effects, which marijuana does not produce.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 11:14 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, what you've written is simply untrue. And it belies your inexperience with the subject for you to write such things.

Rolling Eyes I didn't realize what a pothead you were... Don't you work for the state?

Quote:
The earlier article full of dead links is really nothing more then a propoganda piece cut and pasted from the DHS. There's no supporting evidence to back it up, and I showed already how the main crutch they rested some of their evidence on has turned out to be untrue in an earlier post.

Yeah, right. You showed nothing.

Quote:
You cannot go to a bar, get loaded, and drive home. You will probably hurt someone. What you have said is completely untrue.

Tell that to the 17,602 people that died last year due to alcohol related traffic deaths. I wonder how many didn't die and made it home? Not sure what drugs you are currently on, but it's beyond stupid to say what you have above.

Quote:
I rarely drink alcohol at all these days - primarily because of the undesirable side effects, which marijuana does not produce.

Cycloptichorn

Good for you. Still want that cookie?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 11:35 am
DrewDad wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
I am always baffled by people who say that marijuana should be legalized because it's no worse than alcohol.

That's rather like saying that, since you already have diabetes, you won't mind having malaria too.

More along the lines of if one already eats bacon then why not have eggs, too?

Only if you contend that bacon is bad for you and that eggs are equally as bad as bacon.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 11:38 am
joefromchicago wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
You posted your opinion ad nauseum on other threads about this so why don't you sit back and spare us your continuing attempt at inflicting your own personal mouth-breathing morality on the rest of us...

Given that this is about the hundredth thread on the legalization of marijuana, I expect that there will be a lot of long-time members here who will post essentially the exact same arguments that they've posted in the other ninety-nine marijuana threads. I suppose you'd prefer it if everyone just posted "ditto?"

kuvasz wrote:
...its not so much that you are a unmitigated bore, and you are that to a tee...

Whatsamatta, kuv, somebody take away your coffee?

kuvasz wrote:
...but that you've said it all before.

Well, I'm glad at least one person was paying attention.

kuvasz wrote:
If you going to hijack this thread as your personal crusade just cut and paste your earlier nonsense and be done with it.

My post was directly on point. I'll leave it to others to decide if I was hijacking the thread.

Oh, good grief. What do you do, dress up in your Judge Dread pajamas at home and shout "I am the Law!"

The reason you are wrong is not simply that you are but you don't even put forth any effort into a thoughtful examination how the hypocrisy of the drug laws undermine belief in civil codes and a general mistrust in society's legal system itself.

If the foundation of a free society rests on respect of the Law rationally arrived at and implemented non-rational codification and implementation undermines such respect, and can do more to harm society than prohibiting any behavior, because all laws become suspect.

You generate a situation where attempting to use force to maintain control can force you to loss control all together.

So if you want social anarchy enact laws that have little rational basis for being laws and no one will respect the Law.

Since that likely is not what you truly want, yet widespread evidence exists on the affect the Eighteenth Amendment had on the attitude American citizens about the Law in general, you remarks are just not convincing, instead they are uninformed "opinions" with little evidentiary support.

If you're a parent you know from experience not to make up dumb illogical rules for your kids because once they see any hypocrisy peeking out from a parent's rules they suspect that all of them are based on bull$hit.

btw; leave my f*&king coffee out of it
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 11:42 am
The history of this PLANT, aka HEMP, is quite interesting and it's status of being illegal had nothing to do with it being a "drug".

Many people assume that marijuana was made illegal through some kind of process involving scientific, medical, and government hearings; that it was to protect the citizens from what was determined to be a dangerous drug.

The actual story shows a much different picture. Those who voted on the legal fate of this plant never had the facts, but were dependent on information supplied by those who had a specific agenda to deceive lawmakers. You'll see below that the very first federal vote to prohibit marijuana was based entirely on a documented lie on the floor of the Senate.

You'll also see that the history of marijuana's criminalization is filled with:

Racism
Fear
Protection of Corporate Profits
Yellow Journalism
Ignorant, Incompetent, and/or Corrupt Legislators
Personal Career Advancement and Greed
These are the actual reasons marijuana is illegal.
Background

For most of human history, marijuana has been completely legal. It's not a recently discovered plant, nor is it a long-standing law. Marijuana has been illegal for less than 1% of the time that it's been in use. Its known uses go back further than 7,000 B.C. and it was legal as recently as when Ronald Reagan was a boy.

The marijuana (hemp) plant, of course, has an incredible number of uses. The earliest known woven fabric was apparently of hemp, and over the centuries the plant was used for food, incense, cloth, rope, and much more. This adds to some of the confusion over its introduction in the United States, as the plant was well known from the early 1600's, but did not reach public awareness as a recreational drug until the early 1900's.

America's first marijuana law was enacted at Jamestown Colony, Virginia in 1619. It was a law "ordering" all farmers to grow Indian hempseed. There were several other "must grow" laws over the next 200 years (you could be jailed for not growing hemp during times of shortage in Virginia between 1763 and 1767), and during most of that time, hemp was legal tender (you could even pay your taxes with hemp -- try that today!) Hemp was such a critical crop for a number of purposes (including essential war requirements - rope, etc.) that the government went out of its way to encourage growth.

The United States Census of 1850 counted 8,327 hemp "plantations" (minimum 2,000-acre farm) growing cannabis hemp for cloth, canvas and even the cordage used for baling cotton.

The Mexican Connection

In the early 1900s, the western states developed significant tensions regarding the influx of Mexican-Americans. The revolution in Mexico in 1910 spilled over the border, with General Pershing's army clashing with bandit Pancho Villa. Later in that decade, bad feelings developed between the small farmer and the large farms that used cheaper Mexican labor. Then, the depression came and increased tensions, as jobs and welfare resources became scarce.

One of the "differences" seized upon during this time was the fact that many Mexicans smoked marijuana and had brought the plant with them.

However, the first state law outlawing marijuana did so not because of Mexicans using the drug. Oddly enough, it was because of Mormons using it. Mormons who traveled to Mexico in 1910 came back to Salt Lake City with marijuana. The church was not pleased and ruled against use of the drug. Since the state of Utah automatically enshrined church doctrine into law, the first state marijuana prohibition was established in 1915. (Today, Senator Orrin Hatch serves as the prohibition arm of this heavily church-influenced state.)

Other states quickly followed suit with marijuana prohibition laws, including Wyoming (1915), Texas (1919), Iowa (1923), Nevada (1923), Oregon (1923), Washington (1923), Arkansas (1923), and Nebraska (1927). These laws tended to be specifically targeted against the Mexican-American population.

When Montana outlawed marijuana in 1927, the Butte Montana Standard reported a legislator's comment: "When some beet field peon takes a few traces of this stuff... he thinks he has just been elected president of Mexico, so he starts out to execute all his political enemies." In Texas, a senator said on the floor of the Senate: "All Mexicans are crazy, and this stuff [marijuana] is what makes them crazy."

http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/2003/12/22/whyIsMarijuanaIllegal.html
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 11:50 am
kuvasz wrote:
Oh, good grief. What do you do, dress up in your Judge Dread pajamas at home and shout "I am the Law!"

I am perfectly happy to discuss this issue with anyone who demonstrates that he or she is prepared to discuss it in a rational and adult manner. That leaves you 0 for 2.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 12:51 pm
woiyo wrote:

When Montana outlawed marijuana in 1927.....

So, Montana agrees with me on one post, and then I find out that it's all her fault that it's outlawed in the first place???
Shocked

Laughing
0 Replies