Infidelity Makes Me ILL

Heatwave

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 08:21 am
ossobuco wrote:
I still maintain some of those posters are gameplayers, forum taunters. For those that aren't, who are in the throes of whether to go on with an affair (or more), I think it's not a help to barrage with moral rage.

I had not considered the idea forum taunters. But yeah, that might very well be the case. Some of these people are so obviously obnoxious they are unreal. They may be exactly that.

And yes, I do agree with the second part. I'd rather just hold my thoughts (and vent in a separate thread) than harp in their threads.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 08:47 am
_Heatwave_ wrote:
JPB wrote:
Back to Heatwave's original point on infidelity.... I hate the skulking, sneaking, lying aspects of affairs as much as the next person and consistently advise against them. My point is only that there are times when it can be the right answer.

JPB, I don't think that the couple you are talking about, who have an arrangement on the side, is a good example of your quote above. Could you think of any other scenario, when sneaking around to have an affair would be okay?

Sorry, the 'it' in my quote above was meant to refer to the non-skulking, non-sneaking, non-lying situation I had been relating. Didn't mean to infer that 'it' = skulking, sneaking, lying was the right answer. I'll think about it further though and let you know if I come up with one. It will be a reach for me though because honesty and personal integrity are probably my deepest core values.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 08:55 am
Oh. Oh, I see. Yeah, I get it now.

And I am not arguing at all that sometimes sex outside of marriage maybe the right answer. Clearly, it could be.

One scenario that a someone offline presented: she had an affair outside of a physically & mentally abusive marriage. The affair (and the person they were having it with) gave them the courage to break out of their marriage. I have no quibble with the sneaking around in this situation. NONE at all. Good for you, I said to her.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 09:12 am
ha! You came up with one sooner than I did. Yep, good for her!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 12:14 pm
_Heatwave_ wrote:
Oh. Oh, I see. Yeah, I get it now.

And I am not arguing at all that sometimes sex outside of marriage maybe the right answer. Clearly, it could be.

One scenario that a someone offline presented: she had an affair outside of a physically & mentally abusive marriage. The affair (and the person they were having it with) gave them the courage to break out of their marriage. I have no quibble with the sneaking around in this situation. NONE at all. Good for you, I said to her.

If that woman posted that scenario here on A2K, what do you suppose your response would have been, Heatwave? If I responded I would have probably suggested she look at herself to find out why she needs a man to supply her backbone. (I can be judgemental, too.)

Mostly, I stay away from giving advice in forums (fora?) especially if it's a new poster who's first post is "I'm having an affair with a ferret. Is that OK?"

The reason I responded to your thread is that I don't like generalizations and I felt you were lumping all adulterers together. People have reasons for doing what they do and who among us is blessed with enough wisdom to judge them?
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 12:36 pm
Swimpy wrote:
If that woman posted that scenario here on A2K, what do you suppose your response would have been, Heatwave? If I responded I would have probably suggested she look at herself to find out why she needs a man to supply her backbone. (I can be judgemental, too.)

Actually, I'd have said exactly the same thing online to her "Good for you." And seeing what I do in this person - I'd have to disagree that it was the man who was supplying her backbone. But, yes - I am able to see that offline. Not sure if that'd have come through online.

Swimpy wrote:
Mostly, I stay away from giving advice in forums (fora?) especially if it's a new poster who's first post is "I'm having an affair with a ferret. Is that OK?"

The reason I responded to your thread is that I don't like generalizations and I felt you were lumping all adulterers together. People have reasons for doing what they do and who among us is blessed with enough wisdom to judge them?

Yeah - I am lumping together the adulterers who have posted online recently. All of their affairs come across as completely arbitrary. I have no doubt that if they as compelling a context as my offline friend's - they would have talked about it.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:44 pm
You are a reasonable woman, Heatwave. That makes me happy.
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:07 am
ossobuco wrote:
I still maintain some of those posters are gameplayers, forum taunters. For those that aren't, who are in the throes of whether to go on with an affair (or more), I think it's not a help to barrage with moral rage. Actually, I'm not sure that has happened all so recently, but it sure has in the past.

I'm not against expressing rage, and certainly not against expressing point of view. But, as some of us have said, in effect, the smell of moral superiority piled up starts to reek, to the reader. View can be expressed without complete vitriol, which ain't helpful, but is a goodbar for the poster.

Again, not that I'm sans vitriol. Just looking at our behavior to posters.

Holy cow Osso! A voice of reason. As one of the people who pretty much started this whole string of posts and spinoffs about infidelity and marriage vows, etc. I appreciate that someone recognizes the futility of the self-righteous moral rage.

The real reason I came and posted was to provide support to someone who is in pretty much exactly the same situation I am. I saw this person being attacked from the beginning.

When I got into it, I realized that I can respect the opinions of those who have not been in my situation, but I also know that no one can really know what is in the heart and mind of another.

When it comes to moralizing and judgement, I wonder if people have any clue that maybe I, or others in my situation, struggle with the acts against what we thought were our core values.

Up until this past June, I would have been right there with people saying, "Stick to your marriage vows. You made a contract, etc."

Events in my life including, but not limited to my affair have cracked the foundations of my faith and my values and don't doubt for a minute that it is a struggle.

I am not looking for sympathy. I do not expect sympathy or understanding. I am just stating this fact. I do, in fact, struggle with the immorality of my actions. Or more accurately the fact that I find I can continue to act in spite of what I thought were my values.

Okay...Open fire.
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:19 am
Quote:
I saw this person being attacked from the beginning.

I have to retract this statement. I went back and read the posts. There weren't actually attacks. That stuff didn't actually come until later. I apologize.

I was just struck between the similarities between my situation and Outaideas situation.
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:21 am
_Heatwave_ wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
I still maintain some of those posters are gameplayers, forum taunters. For those that aren't, who are in the throes of whether to go on with an affair (or more), I think it's not a help to barrage with moral rage.

I had not considered the idea forum taunters. But yeah, that might very well be the case. Some of these people are so obviously obnoxious they are unreal. They may be exactly that.

And yes, I do agree with the second part. I'd rather just hold my thoughts (and vent in a separate thread) than harp in their threads.

I can assure you that I am not a forum taunter. But believe me...I was very tempted to throw some bait out there as a knee-jerk reaction to the self-righteous judgment I've seen.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:26 am
CalamityJane wrote:
If it works for them, what's the problem? baddog, it seems you're trying
very hard to press the world into your beliefs and your stance on
marriage. Not everything is black or white, whatever makes people happy -
it is fine with me. I am not here to tell them otherwise, just because my
way of thinking is different.

Hmmm. I'm trying to press the world into my beliefs...

Read your words CJ:

Quote:
Marriage should be an equal give and take union, and if your wife is
not wanting to have relations with you on a more agreeable level, then
you should ask yourself, why is she not interested in an intimate relationship with you. I consider sex once a month not as the norm. You would have
to find out - together - what the problem is. She might have hormonal
imbalances, in need of more stimulation, and so on. If all avenues are
explored and your wife still won't have sexual relations with you other than
once a month, than she should understand, that you opt for consequences.

Are you trying to press the world into your beliefs?
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:40 am
jake123 wrote:
Holy cow Osso! A voice of reason. As one of the people who pretty much started this whole string of posts and spinoffs about infidelity and marriage vows, etc. I appreciate that someone recognizes the futility of the self-righteous moral rage.

The real reason I came and posted was to provide support to someone who is in pretty much exactly the same situation I am. I saw this person being attacked from the beginning.

When I got into it, I realized that I can respect the opinions of those who have not been in my situation, but I also know that no one can really know what is in the heart and mind of another.

When it comes to moralizing and judgement, I wonder if people have any clue that maybe I, or others in my situation, struggle with the acts against what we thought were our core values.

Up until this past June, I would have been right there with people saying, "Stick to your marriage vows. You made a contract, etc."

Events in my life including, but not limited to my affair have cracked the foundations of my faith and my values and don't doubt for a minute that it is a struggle.

I am not looking for sympathy. I do not expect sympathy or understanding. I am just stating this fact. I do, in fact, struggle with the immorality of my actions. Or more accurately the fact that I find I can continue to act in spite of what I thought were my values.

Okay...Open fire.

Classic case of rationalization, projection, and repression. Typically - altered memory will come next.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:25 am
Jake, I didn't think you were a forum taunter (hah, that was a term I made up while writing), but some posters can seem to be, might be. There is even a silly season, during school holidays. Or so some have commented over the years of this relationships and marriage forum.
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:40 am
It's cool, Osso, I set off another firestorm over in "religion and faith".

I need to choose safer subject matter.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:01 am
We can firestorm over anything, 'tis our way. But, yeah, some a2k forums are more serene than others.
0 Replies