Teenage drinking

JPB

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 12:45 pm
Last fall 2 local teens died as a result of a car crash. The teens were returning to a party at the time of the crash and the parents of the party's host were charged to the extent of the existing law. They were found guilty of obstruction of justice and child endangerment.

Quote:
Parents found guilty

Jury says couple allowed teens to drink in basement before fatal crash

By Courtney Flynn and Andrew L. Wang, Tribune staff reporters. Freelance reporters Barbara Bell and Andrew Schroedter contributed to this report
9:05 AM CDT, July 22, 2007

As the debate continues in courtrooms, at high schools and around kitchen tables across the country on who ultimately bears responsibility for underage drinking, a jury in Lake County weighed in with its own opinion Saturday, finding a Deerfield couple guilty of allowing their son's friends to drink in their basement one night last October.

Two teenage guests were killed in a car crash shortly after leaving the Deerfield home of Jeffrey and Sara Hutsell. According to testimony given during the five-day trial against the couple last week, the 18-year-old driver had consumed alcohol at the party.

The jury of seven women and five men deliberated seven hours before reaching its decision at about 7:40 p.m. They also convicted the Hutsells of one count of endangerment of a child and one count of obstruction of justice for lying to police officers on the night of the accident. The jury acquitted the couple of another obstruction charge for destroying evidence. The Hutsells showed no emotion as the verdicts were read.

"Parents need to be responsible and you cannot host underage drinking parties in your home," said Lake County State's Atty. Michael Waller following the verdict. "The consequences, as we unfortunately learned in this case, can be deadly."

With the convictions, each Hutsell could face penalties from probation to a year in jail. The Hutsells' attorneys declined to comment as they left court.

The Hutsells also declined to comment.

Meanwhile, Deerfield police reported Saturday night that three teens -- one who testified at the trial and two others who were on the witness list -- were arrested at a party Friday night for alleged alcohol-related offenses.

more on the trial

more on the new arrests

Teenage drinking is prevalent here. Since last fall's tragedy, the police dept and schools have been holding symposiums and town meetings for parents and teens to try to get the message across about the dangers of drinking (with or without driving).

The trial has been the topic of discussion in every grocery aisle, social gathering, and kitchen table. What are your thoughts? Should parents be held responsible if teens drink in their homes (they did not provide the alcohol and claimed they were unaware that anyone was drinking)? An amended underage drinking law has been passed by both the IL House and Senate making it a Class IV felony for parents to allow underage drinking in their home or provide access to the home for that purpose. The Bill is awaiting the governor's signature.

As to the new arrests, some of the kids involved were at the party last fall. One of those arrested is a survivor of the fatal crash. There were six arrest total including trespassing charges because the party was hosted by the homeowner's daughter without their permission (they are out of town). It seems the efforts of the past year haven't been effective. Is it simply a matter of kids being kids? If nothing else, this trial has changed the 'wink, wink' mentality that many local parents had about drinking in their homes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,680 • Replies: 63
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 01:17 pm
Legal drinking age is lower in most countries as it is the USA (16 for beer, wine and lower percentage spirits, 18 for the harder stuff).
The legal drinking age does not apply when drinking in private. Minors in possession of alcohol are not punished; however, people who make alcohol available to minors are.

We have always had excesses, not only recently but since centuries ago.

It was only then a problem, when 'society' regarded is as one.

Nowadays, I think, the mayor problem (here) is "drinking and driving" = deadly accidents, less the drinking per se. (We gladly don't have a lot of those binge drinking parties like in the UK. Until now, at least.)

I've neither an answer to these problems nor a patent remedy.
But I do think, that kids are kids - and should get the chance to learn drinking .... responsible, in relation to their age and life experience etc etc
And to do so at home isn't a bad idea.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 01:31 pm
No it isn't a bad idea, Walter, however if a parent lets teens drink and drive
then they are responsible for the outcome.

So yes, I do think it is the parents responsibility to see that in house drinking teens have a ride home. I would consider it gross negligence
if they don't provide adequate transport for drunk teens.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 01:50 pm
Actually, I don't like it all if parents allow other children than their own to drink alcohol in their house if these under the legal drinking age.

And letting someone drive - no matter how old this person is - after having drunken alcohol is criminal (either by law or by normal morality.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 01:59 pm
Yes, I would never give a teenager alcohol in my house, while my daughter is allowed to take a sip of beer or wine occasionally.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 02:05 pm
In my house we were allowed wine with dinner, and my mum was fully aware that I was drinking at 15, but I didn't do anything daft... on the other hand, my sister, brought up with the same rules, got wasted repeatedly and was arrested and all sorts very young... not in my mum's house may I add... children are individuals too and whilst parents if aware should take responsibility for their safety, cannot control everything their children do and sometimes acceptance and understanding is better than alienation.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 02:17 pm
<I nearly had written something about Bavarian heritage. And now I'm trying to stop me posting that ....>
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 02:19 pm
That was related to CJ's response. :wink:
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 02:32 pm
Some parents feel that kids will drink regardless of whether they have permission so they might as well give them a safe place to do it. In this case, the parents sometimes take the car keys of anyone entering the house and insist the kids spend the night. Other times parents turn a blind eye to the drinking and expect the kids to self-police who drives home and who doesn't. This is precisely what happened here. The father of the host went to the basement and told one of the kids (not his son) to make sure no one drove who was drunk. He also asked one of the girls leaving the party if she was ok to drive. She said she was fine and drove home, although she had been drinking during the party. These events were the primary evidence at the trial that the parents knew the kids were drinking at the party. That, and the fact that the place smelled like a brewery.

I know teenage drinking isn't a new thing. Nor is binge drinking and drunken blasts. It isn't unusual around here for the parents to provide the alcohol for their kid's parties... well, until now it hasn't been. This verdict and the new law might curtail that practice.

Maybe there's something to be said for responsible drinking at home. Perhaps that would prevent the kids from feeling they need to get blasted when they're out with their friends.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 02:47 pm
JPB wrote:
Maybe there's something to be said for responsible drinking at home. Perhaps that would prevent the kids from feeling they need to get blasted when they're out with their friends.

That's how I feel, and practice with my child, just as my parents did with
us kids: an occasional beer or glass of wine doesn't harm. Of course, my
daughter is young yet, and only gets a sip here and there, but when she's
around 16, I will allow her to drink a glass of wine or beer at times.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 02:48 pm
Responsible drinking .... well, I think that's a good idea.

In my view responsible drinking means ... you mustn't get drunk to get good mood, to have fun, to enjoy for instance.
And to learn to say "no" - without becoming an outsider by such.

Children only can learn such if their parents don't mirror a different picture.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:00 am
Demystifying drinking and alcohol is one thing. I recall plenty of folks -- from Law School, no less -- who really had never had drinking demystified and would spend their weekends getting bombed at all sorts of seedy bars. It wasn't a good time by any stretch of the imagination; it was a lot of stressed people medicating themselves. And of course there were plenty of police stops and more than one foolish student lost his or her license for a year.

However, the idea that the parents would give the kids the responsibility of figuring out who was capable of driving is the height of foolishness. We are talking about teenagers here. You know, the people who think they're never going to die. I am not suggesting that the parents had to stand their with a portable breathalyzer and check everyone before leaving, but this was definitely not the kids' call. One solution would be the one offered above, that all car keys are taken and everyone stays overnight.

Are the parents liable? Sure they are. They're the ones who are supposed to be the responsible adults. And, just as importantly for the injured and the families of the dead, they are the ones with the deepest pockets.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:37 am
In today's Tribune, there's an article about how to stop teens drinking at home:

Quote:
Examining parents' role in teen drinking
Residents in North Shore suburbs seek ways to prevent another alcohol-related tragedy.

By Andrew L. Wang | Tribune staff reporter
July 23, 2007

The conviction last week of a Deerfield couple for permitting underage drinking in their home left some in the North Shore village and nearby communities wondering what's next for themselves and their children.

All agree that the deaths of Daniel Bell and Ross Trace, both 18 and both guests at Jeffrey and Sara Hutsell's home the night the teens died in a car crash, were tragic. But after they learned more from the Hutsells' trial about the night the teens died, several parents said they are now focused on finding solutions for the seemingly intractable problem of teenage drinking and how to save lives before it's too late.

"Our kids have been educated almost ad nauseam through DARE and other programs about drinking and drugs," said Vicki Ettelson, who attended the trial and has a 16-year-old son at Deerfield High School. "We feel it's time to offer solutions and strategies [to parents] to combat teenage drinking."

Parents must be part of the solution because, as was shown in the Hutsell case, some of them are part of the problem, Ettelson said. The Hutsells and their attorneys could not be reached for comment on Sunday.

A Lake County jury Saturday found the Hutsells, both 53, knew 20 to 30 teens were drinking alcohol in their basement and did nothing to stop it. The couple also were convicted of endangering the life of a child and lying to police investigating the crash, but they were acquitted of a count of destroying evidence. Their sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 11.

Trace and Bell both were at the party at the home in the 700 block of Summit Drive with the Hutsells' son, Jonathan Tyler Hutsell. According to testimony by several teens, Bell and Trace and three other friends got in Bell's car and left the party after they became afraid they would get caught smoking marijuana by Jeffrey Hutsell.

Shortly afterward, the car slammed into a tree, killing Trace. Bell died a short time later. Tests showed that Bell had a blood-alcohol level of 0.132, well above the legal limit for adults of 0.08, and that Trace had smoked marijuana before he died.

In Deerfield, the shock of the accident remains strong, said Ettelson, who heads the parent-education subcommittee for Positive Adult Responsibility Eliminates Negative Teenage Situations, or PARENTS. The group, a coalition of parents of students at Deerfield and Highland Park High Schools, was formed last year after a community forum on teen drinking.

Ettelson said she hears parents say they feel powerless in the face of a seemingly insurmountable problem.

"It's operating on the assumption that [drinking] occurs, and there's not a lot we as parents can do about it," she said.

Instead, Ettelson said, parents need to know "it's OK to say no."

Marla Forbes, whose 17-year-old son attends Highland Park High School, said she agreed with the verdict, but she wondered what could be done to ensure other parents learned from the Hutsells' mistakes.

"If [the Hutsells] had to share their stories, once a week with different schools or with other parents, just to let them know how guilty they feel ... it might be more effective," she said. "These people's lives are ruined. ...If there's some way to make people understand that, to me that has more value than a prison sentence."

Laws that hold parents criminally responsible for allowing underage drinking in their homes are becoming more prevalent, said James Mosher, director of the Center for the Study of Law and Enforcement Policy in Felton, Calif.

While he agreed that there should be serious consequences if parents sanction underage drinking that leads to injury or death, the true answer to the problem will come from a "shift of societal norms" so parents are empowered to not tolerate teen drinking, said Mosher, whose organization analyzes legal policy related to alcohol, tobacco and drugs.

Criminalization of parents isn't the most effective deterrent, he said. Civil ordinances that impose financial penalties send a more immediate message, Mosher said.

"As a homeowner, you have to protect the community, you have to protect your neighborhood," he said. "If you fail to meet that duty, then a civil fine is due or you can be liable for fees. ...It's a much more clear and direct message."

Robert Johnson, chair of the American Bar Association's criminal law section, agreed hitting parents with criminal charges and levying stiffer sentences may not be the best preventive measure.

"Oftentimes, the criminalization is what legislators think is the easy answer," said Johnson, who is also county attorney for Anoka County, Minn. But in criminal proceedings, the path can be more arduous, as prosecutors must present evidence that convinces a jury beyond a reasonable doubt, he said.

Ettelson's take on the Hutsell case, from being in the courtroom as more than a dozen teens who were at the party were called to the witness stand, was that the jury made the right decision.

But beyond issues of guilt, the trial dredged up painful memories for all involved.

"Part of what were so sad was that all these kids had to live through it again," Ettelson said. "It brought all these emotions to the surface."

-----------

[email protected]
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 12:01 pm
From the Tribune article,
"While he agreed that there should be serious consequences if parents sanction underage drinking that leads to injury or death, the true answer to the problem will come from a "shift of societal norms" so parents are empowered to not tolerate teen drinking, said Mosher, whose organization analyzes legal policy related to alcohol, tobacco and drugs."

I disagree with this, and prefer the way some societies teach children responsible drinking, so that binge drinking is not an attraction. That includes, to me, the sort of tastes that CJane was describing. I think it best to teach that drinking is an adjunct to the enjoyment of food, not a zone for getting "blotto", drunk.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 01:32 pm
Yeah, osso, I had a similar discussion with someone locally this morning. I don't have time to go deeper right now, but I picked up on the very same statement.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:03 pm
JPB--

Your headlines about teenage drinking, driving, deaths and holding adult hosts responsible could have come out of my local papers.

Part of the problem is the American Underground Culture which venerates risk-taking and chemical experimentation and bad-boy behavior.

Kids sneak booze because they see booze as one of the trappings of adulthood that they are so ready for.

For the most part high school students are treated as immature minors and they resent the label.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:17 pm
I'm torn on this. I do think parents have a certain responsibility to their children and to any children who are visiting. But I have to wonder, in the original story, were any of the kids charged with underage drinking? Are we postponing adult responsibility for teenagers by charging the parents? If so why and for how much longer?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:29 pm
Freeduck--

In this neck of the woods, the kids are always changed with underage drinking and DWI and sometimes vehicular homicide.

A teenage drunk who killed his two best friends (they were all drunk--and not wearing seatbelts) in October was picked up in may for DWI.

His friends explained that he feels so bad about the October accident that he has to drink to forget.

He's now 18.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:39 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm torn on this. I do think parents have a certain responsibility to their children and to any children who are visiting. But I have to wonder, in the original story, were any of the kids charged with underage drinking? Are we postponing adult responsibility for teenagers by charging the parents? If so why and for how much longer?

The National Minimum Drinking Age Act limits the age for purchasing or public possession of alcoholic beverages.
But prohibiting drinking alcohol privately is state's affair.

And I'm not sure how that is regulated in Illinois.

(In other counties, btw, only the sellers of the alcoholic beverages are punished, not the consumers - thats when selling it to children.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:59 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

In the newest arrests, five of the six were charged with alcohol consumption and trespassing. The six (the one who survived last fall's crash) was charged with alcohol possession, consumption, and trespassing.

Many of the kids who testified at the trial were given immunity in exchange for their testimony. I don't know if any of the other kids at the party were charged. The driver would have been charged had he survived. Also, there is a least one civil lawsuit pending between the various families.

I'm torn too, Freeduck. I don't think the responsibility falls on one side of the fence. Kids make decisions, sometimes bad ones. On the other hand, the pervasive attitude here has been one of either "don't ask, don't tell" or outright support of the drinking by purchasing the booze for the kids. I do think kids will drink. I don't think parents should make it easy for them.
0 Replies