Teenage drinking

JPB

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 05:05 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Freeduck--

In this neck of the woods, the kids are always changed with underage drinking and DWI and sometimes vehicular homicide.

A teenage drunk who killed his two best friends (they were all drunk--and not wearing seatbelts) in October was picked up in may for DWI.

His friends explained that he feels so bad about the October accident that he has to drink to forget.

He's now 18.

Yeah, right Rolling Eyes . I suppose they're saying that he never drank before that fateful night and that they hadn't either.

I think we'll hear something similar from the surviving kid who was arrested Friday night. He was the only one charged with possession so I'm guessing he was the supplier to the other five. That, or he was the only one who had any left at the time of the arrest.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:02 pm
In this neck of the woods, not only do the kids drink and drive and brag--they post photos on U-Tube (?) while the party is still young.

"Being wasted" is high sophistication.

The parent of both the driver and the two dead friends were all in denial. "Not my child. My child wouldn't drink and drive/ride."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:43 pm
I'm not entirely sure why it would be such a good idea to make what the parents did in this case a felony, as it appears Illinois is poised to do. The parents are, I'm sure, already facing some potentially catastrophic financial consequences of this action -- making them felons just compounds the financial and familial problems without providing any kind of solution.

That said, if the parents broke the law then they should be punished. If the law is too harsh or too lenient, then that's an argument to change the law.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
The National Minimum Drinking Age Act limits the age for purchasing or public possession of alcoholic beverages.
But prohibiting drinking alcohol privately is state's affair.

Well, not exactly. Congress couldn't change the drinking age laws, because those are under the exclusive jurisdiction of the states. What the National Minimum Drinking Age Act did was coerce the states into changing their drinking age laws by threatening to withhold federal highway funds from the states if they didn't. So much for Ronald Reagan's "new federalism." Drunk
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 07:35 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
I'm not entirely sure why it would be such a good idea to make what the parents did in this case a felony, as it appears Illinois is poised to do. The parents are, I'm sure, already facing some potentially catastrophic financial consequences of this action -- making them felons just compounds the financial and familial problems without providing any kind of solution.

That said, if the parents broke the law then they should be punished. If the law is too harsh or too lenient, then that's an argument to change the law.

I had an on-going discussion with the bill's sponsor last fall. I found the final wording of the proposed bill and posted it here. I'm glad they've removed the need to stand vigil over the refrigerator/liquor cabinet and to frisk every kid who enters one's home.

I'm sure the impetus was to have a greater deterrent than the potential for a misdemeanor charge carries. There were many outraged residents here that the full extent of the law at the time was four misdemeanor charges. The sentencing will take place in mid September. Everyone is watching to see if the couple will be given jail time (up to one year) or probation and community service. And yes, there are civil suits pending with more to follow, I'm sure.

I agree with Jes that having the kids police themselves is ludicrous. Most adults will say they can drive when they shouldn't. Expecting kids to be more self-aware than adults is ridiculous (and, in this case, criminal).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 11:47 pm
Might well be that I'm a bit narrow-minded here, since we Europeans deal with alcohol quite differently (chidren are not charged when drinking below, age, age is 16/18, in private not forbidden at all ...).

However:

JPB wrote:

I agree with Jes that having the kids police themselves is ludicrous. Most adults will say they can drive when they shouldn't. Expecting kids to be more self-aware than adults is ridiculous (and, in this case, criminal).

Different here as well: all (should know) that you can't drive after three, four beers. And those youth with a fresh driving licences aren't allowed to drive after alcohol consumption at all. (That, however, only since recently, after we got a lot of terribel accidents.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 06:21 am
joefromchicago wrote:

I've given this some more thought... Part of the greater deterrent effect would be the realization that the penalty could have an actual impact on one's life beyond the inconvenience of a civil suit. Law suits are covered by insurance. Balloon policies have upwards of $10,000,000 limits. One can't insure against prison time. In this case, there is the potential for up to one year in the Lake County lock-up, so the question becomes one of magnitude. Would a few years in East Moline be a greater deterrent than a few months in Waukegan? I don't know.

I think bills are oftentimes drafted and passed in a reactionary mode. "Something must be done" results in legislation that strives to prevent or reduce the probability of a recurrence. As Friday's arrests demonstrate, the kids -- the very same kids -- are still going to party. The message needs to come from the parents that the days of don't ask, don't tell are over.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 06:23 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Different here as well: all (should know) that you can't drive after three, four beers. And those youth with a fresh driving licences aren't allowed to drive after alcohol consumption at all. (That, however, only since recently, after we got a lot of terribel accidents.)

What we should know becomes fuzzy after a couple drinks and downright blurry after a couple more.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 06:33 am
It's quite (peculiar) funny: here, the youth doesn't want to be controlled by the parents and goes drinking in pubs an discotheks .... especially in those whee "flatrate-drinking" is offered.

Police espepecially in rural regions made over years frequent alcohol controls in front of and/or in the surroundings of discotheks.

Car wreckages and large photos of of accidents woked as well.

It could be better, but at least the amount of really bad accidents has become lower.

I really think, if we had more partying at parents homes we would have less accidents and drunken driving.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 07:05 am
The legal drinking age was 21 when I was growing up. As joe indicated, drinking age is established by the state and NY had an 18 year old drinking age since long before I was born. Many deaths occurred as a result of teens driving back from NY where they could drink legally. The drinking age in Vt was reduced to 18 specifically to remove the number of teenage deaths due to intoxicated drivers. It was ultimately raised back to 21 along with the rest of the states to keep federal dollars flowing through the coffers.

Legislators have been attempting to find the magic solution to keep teenage drivers off the roads forever.

I'm equally interested in the effects of alcohol on the developing adolescent brain. Current research indicates that repeated exposure to alcohol during the teen years results in a much greater likelihood of alcoholism than the same exposure in an adult. This is particularly true in an individual with a genetic predisposition to alcoholism.

Quote:
High levels of drinking among adolescents are particularly troubling given recent evidence that, in contrast to long-held assumptions, a tremendous amount of structural and functional brain development takes place during the teenage years (Geidd et al., 1999; for review see Spear, 2000;2002). Evidence is accruing that alcohol, and perhaps other drugs, impact brain function and behavior differently during adolescence than during adulthood. Further, preliminary data suggest that adolescents might be more vulnerable than adults to impairments following repeated alcohol exposure. Source

I never drank until I was in my mid-20s. I made up for it during my first marriage by drinking regularly with my alcoholic first husband. With alcoholism pervasive in my family, there is no doubt in my mind that I would be an alcoholic had a been a teenage drinker.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 06:53 am
There has been another deadly crash with youth last night, but not related to alcohol or excessive speed, it is said.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 06:54 am
An opinion from the Metro page of today's Chicago Tribune
Quote:
Peers stood by as teens veered toward tragedy
Mary Schmich
7:00 AM CDT, July 25, 2007

I'd bet that there was one teenager in the Hutsells' basement that night who knew that something wrong was going on, who feared that something bad was going to happen, who wanted to speak up.

There was one teenager, at least one, who wanted to say, "Hey, guys, maybe you shouldn't drink so much." Or "Hey, don't get in the car with that guy, he's drunk." Or "Mr. and Mrs. Hutsell, maybe you should come downstairs and talk to these guys, like, seriously?"

You can blame the parents -- and a jury just did -- for the homecoming-night party in October that ended when two 18-year-olds died. The partygoers drank, they drove and their car slammed into a tree barely a block from Jeffrey and Sara Hutsells' Deerfield home.
It was shocking. And only too normal. Funerals for teenagers who die while driving drunk are as all-American as football.

I remember that funeral when I was in high school. Don't you? Funerals of young drunken drivers are practically a teenage rite of passage.

And then the parties carry on.

What makes this case different is that the parents could go to jail for letting teenagers drink in their home, a verdict that to some people seems both just and useful: Parents, don't let this be you!

But blaming the parents doesn't solve the problem. Punishing parents who allow a teenage drinking party on their property won't change much except the location of the parties -- unless some other things change too.

One thing that needs to change is the teenagers themselves. Not just the ones who drink too much but the ones who stand by, unable to summon the courage to speak up when they sense danger.

I feel sure those teenagers exist, as much today as they did back when I was one of them.

In high school, I wanted to be a regular girl, not one of the eggheads or the goody-goodies, so I went to parties, often after football games. Occasionally they were at someone's house, but more often they were out in an open patch of nighttime desert -- this was Phoenix -- where you could build a fire and freely scatter beer cans. Those parties were called "boondockers."

I'd go and then just stand around, arms crossed, congealed by an uneasiness I couldn't name, while many other people drank, some until they slurred and staggered and threw up. Sometimes I drove home with those people.

I never drank, not in those days. I never openly objected to the drinking either. I just watched, knowing something wasn't right.

In those scenes as I remember them, I'm glaring, as if one or two of the beer guzzlers might feel my disapproval and shape up. In reality I probably didn't glare. Glaring would have been bolder than I was and made me seem prissier than I wanted to be.

But sitting on the "L" the other day reading about the Hutsells, I had a flash of one party in particular, at a friend's house when his parents were away. All the guys and some of the girls were drunk. Some very bad things were happening.

A drunken boy I generally respected squatted down next to me.

"I'm sorry," he said. He said he hated having me see him that way. He said his friend did too.

I shrugged but felt a flicker of realization: Maybe my opinion mattered to a couple of people. Maybe my values did.

In every high school, in every generation, there will be the kids who drink to the edge of danger, and then into oblivion. And there will be others who know they should speak up but don't.

Reading about the party at the Hutsells made me wish I'd been braver in high school. It made me wish more parents would encourage that kind of courage in their kids.

When we talk about peer pressure it's usually something negative. Peer pressure to drink, do drugs, have sex, shut up. But peer pressure can work the other way.

Speaking up doesn't have to be the same as being preachy. If someone at the Hutsells' party had spoken up, there's a chance that the rest of us would never have known there was a party.

I was really shocked by this:
Quote:
Funerals for teenagers who die while driving drunk are as all-American as football.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:29 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:
Funerals for teenagers who die while driving drunk are as all-American as football.

While lurking in this thread, it struck me that statements like these usually bolster concerns about underage drinking. Why aren't they bolstering concerns about underage driving? Why not raise the legal driving age in America? Here in Europe, it stands at 18 years in most of our countries -- and our teenagers function anyway.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:30 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
There has been another deadly crash with youth last night, but not related to alcohol or excessive speed, it is said.

Yes, they are neighbors and friends of my daughters. It's another sad day here.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:37 am
Thomas wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:

While lurking in this thread, it struck me that statements like these usually bolster concerns about underage drinking. Why aren't they bolstering concerns about underage driving? Why not raise the legal driving age in America? Here in Europe, it stands at 18 years in most of our countries -- and our teenagers function anyway.

Thomas, driving laws are and have been changing. Last year the laws were requiring 50 hours of practice driving with a licensed driver vs 25 previously. We also have a graduated license program that requires new drivers to only have one passenger under the age of 18 in the car (excludes relatives) for a period of six months. I think additional changes were passed this year that go into effect in January. I'll have to search for the specifics.

Danny Bell, the driver of last fall's fatal crash was 18 and was not a new driver.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:37 am
I'm really sorry about that, JPB.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:41 am
Thomas wrote:

As known, I've worked professionally with youth .... at an age, where the can drink legally but aren't allowed to drive (most, at least).

I think that it really is a better idea to learn drinking at first and then driving instead the other way around.
At least, the results indicate that.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:49 am
JPB wrote:
Law suits are covered by insurance.

Maybe, but then again maybe not. Homeowner's policies cover liability for injuries to third parties caused by the homeowner's negligence, but they don't provide coverage when the homeowner's criminal acts cause the injuries. A lot depends, therefore, on whether a parent who provides alcohol to minors is just being negligent or is breaking the law.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:50 am
Re: Teenage drinking
JPB wrote:
The trial has been the topic of discussion in every grocery aisle, social gathering, and kitchen table. What are your thoughts? Should parents be held responsible if teens drink in their homes (they did not provide the alcohol and claimed they were unaware that anyone was drinking)? An amended underage drinking law has been passed by both the IL House and Senate making it a Class IV felony for parents to allow underage drinking in their home or provide access to the home for that purpose. The Bill is awaiting the governor's signature.

Most importantly -- and I know this sounds cold-hearted -- I think the story starting your initial post is an anecdote. A statistic of sample size one; or maybe five, or ten, or however many teenagers were involved. No sound public policy will ever come of sample-size-one-statistics. As a statistically literate person, you know that well.

So instead of answering your question, I would throw a question of my own back at you: How many deaths of the kind you describe does teenage drinking actually cause per year? Once I know that, I may be able to weigh the likely consequences of parents policing their children's alcohol intake against the loss of every family's privacy from the proposed legislation. But one story, however dramatic, and however close it has hit to your home, doesn't justify the government turning parents into alcohol cops.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:50 am
I'm sorry about the fresh tragedy, JPB.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 08:00 am
Re: Teenage drinking
Thomas wrote:

Most importantly -- and I know this sounds cold-hearted -- I think the story starting your initial post is an anecdote. A statistic of sample size one; or maybe five, or ten, or however many teenagers were involved. No sound public policy will ever come of sample-size-one-statistics. As a statistically literate person, you know that well.

So instead of answering your question, I would throw a question of my own back at you: How many deaths of the kind you describe does teenage drinking actually cause per year? Once I know that, I may be able to weigh the likely consequences of parents policing their children's alcohol intake against the loss of every family's privacy from the proposed legislation. But one story, however dramatic, and however close it has hit to your home, doesn't justify the government turning parents into alcohol cops.

From an Orlando-Sentinel health-care blog - related links there:
Quote:
Every day, three teens die from drinking and driving. At least six more youth under 21 die each day of nondriving alcohol-related causes, such as homicide, suicide, and drowning.
0 Replies