When I'm Accused Does That Mean He's Cheating?

sweettart

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:41 pm
I do not know about others but for me I did resist for a long time and then exhaustion won along with wanting our home to be more pleasant for the children. They did not do well with the tension. It was my choice to stop pushing back and setting limits mainly because it was so constant and tiring.

I don't think he will change. He thinks he is right. Sometimes I think he lies and manipulates so much that he forgets what is real. For a long time I thought it was just insecurity but now I am starting to think he is just twisted because of some of the things he wants me to do.

So I will have to see what I can do to make things better for the kids and me now.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:23 pm
Sweettart--

You can't change anyone else. You can only change yourself.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 05:35 am
sweettart wrote:
No this is not what I want my teenagers to learn. .

So do you want them to learn that , how he behaves , is how men should be have?

Do you want them to learn that mom just wants to be told what to do so she doesnt have to... that s why she stayed with him?

Do you want your children to grow up and seek out people like him for thier own partners, friends and family?

He is controlling you .. just like a puppet.
Bite him
0 Replies

sweettart

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 08:25 am
Bite him? That makes a funny picture from a wolf.

I have been very upset over the past couple of days trying to stand my ground with him. He found this on my computer history and asked me what I was going to do. I told him to stop playing with me or I would leave. He said I can not afford to leave. I work and make enough if I am careful but he keeps all of the money and pays the bills. If I need money he tells me I just have to ask him for some and he will give it to me since he keeps cash in his wallet. When I get paid I am told I have to put all of my check in the bank to cover the bills he has paid or something might bounce. Then I am told not to use the debit card because there is just enough to cover the bills. He does give me cash if I need to get gas or buy groceries. I just do not like having to ask him for it and tell him what I need it for because even when I ask he talks about how we don't have any money even when I can see he has a lot of money in his wallet.

I asked him last night if he is having an affair and he just laughed at me. He said I always know where he is so how could he cheat? I said he always knows where I am so why does he say that I have a boyfriend? He said he is just joking when he says that and I told him I did not think that was funny. He said he does and besides the kids know he is joking and I should stop being so serious.

I really need to get out of this mess so we can be happy. I know it is time to do that. I am not dumb or lazy so I know I can do it.

Thank you to everyone for listening to me and giving me advice.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:24 am
STOP GIVING HIM YOUR MONEY!
You need to take control over your life. But it sounds like you've been living this way for many years now so, my guess is, you probably have no idea how to do that. Are your bank accounts JOINT accounts or in his name only?
0 Replies

sweettart

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:00 am
We have a joint account. He knows how much my check is supposed to be so he would know if I did not put it all in and would know I have money for groceries and not give me any more.

I do know how to take control and will do so. I just have to be smart about it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:02 am
I like the sound of that.
Be smart, girlfriend. Always.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 06:50 pm
Sweettart--

Be smart--and be careful.
0 Replies

serenity m

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 02:07 pm
Bi-Polar..we're not ALL bad you know Rolling Eyes

This man is acting like an insecure child. I doubt he's having an affair though.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 02:24 pm
Why?
0 Replies

serenity m

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 05:24 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
if you keep doing what you have always been doing, then you will keep getting what you have always been getting....

A great AA quote :-).....and so very true
0 Replies

serenity m

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 05:25 pm
eoe wrote:
Why?

Why what? Confused
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 12:22 pm
sweettart wrote:
I told him to stop playing with me or I would leave. He said I can not afford to leave. [..]

If I need money he tells me I just have to ask him for some and he will give it to me since he keeps cash in his wallet. When I get paid I am told I have to put all of my check in the bank to cover the bills he has paid or something might bounce. Then I am told not to use the debit card because there is just enough to cover the bills. He does give me cash if I need to get gas or buy groceries.

Oh lord - the more you tell, the worse it sounds. Pathologically jealous is one thing. A bad thing, but at least just one thing. Perhaps therapy (for him) could help with that.

But this goes beyond that. He is basically trying to own you - to exercise complete power over you. He basically forces you to give him all of your earnings and accept that all you will get to have or spend of your own is just whatever he deems worthwhile.

That alone already means that he has the power to determining most every thing you do or don't. You've also already said that he systematically tries to discourage you from any friendships of your own - cutting off another way for you to have any independence at all. And it's not just about keeping you from being an independent person who has some say in how she lives her life; the friends thing suggests that he's even trying to keep you from getting any personal feedback apart from his, from being able to doublecheck his reasonings with what a third party would say, or to compare what he does with what others consider normal or acceptable.

Well, this is not normal. This is not what loving partners do. A normal, loving partner trusts and respects you. He seems to do neither.

I think the cheating accusations are just another way to tie you down. It's very related with your travelling, you said. Your travelling is pretty much the one way you've got left to be outside his bubble, to live an ordinary life and realise that what he's doing or making you do is not normal. If he could intimidate you into travelling less or no more, he would win a major new degree of control over you.

Even the example of him telling friends (and even your children) about, basically, how bad a woman you are, seems perfectly fitting with the pattern. Not as something to check or impose your fidelity per se, but rather to basically humble (or humiliate you) into someone with as little self-worth, and/or as little outside friends/contacts you could trust, as possible. Because it's then that you'd be submitted to him completely.

If all of this sounds like an overreaction, somehow - I hate it when posters jump to far-reaching conclusions about someone they'd never met and only read the one or two web posts of - it's not wholly just a personal gut reaction. A couple of years ago, JustBrooke, who's worked with abused women, posted a warning list of behaviors that are seen in people who are potentially abusive.

The list was rightly criticized for being a bit all too far-encompassing. When she wrote that "If the person has several of the behaviors ...(say three or more) there is a strong potential for physical violence," I disagreed, though I did not respond, because Sozobe already explained what I wanted to say. She said that, hell, she'd had boyfriends who never ended up being abusive, with whom she was actually in a good relationship also in retrospect, who'd had far more than three of the traits. However, aside from the counting traits thing, it must definitely be true what Brooke said when she wrote that "the more signs the person has, the more likely the person is a batterer."

Good guys (or girls..), I think, may exhibit a couple of the traits here and there, or more even temporarily in some period of crisis. But if your partner meets the criteria consistently, or ever increasingly, if he exhibits most of the traits, or even almost all of them, then that should be a big flaming warning flag. And I'm guessing that your guy might meet a bunch of 'em. Everything that you've said so far seems to come straight from the list.
0 Replies

sweettart

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:09 am
Thank you for the link to the other thread. I could check many of the items on that list.

I do not think he would physically hurt me because his ego is tied strongly to being able to be the one that is being wronged. If he hurt me physically he could not get sympathy or call himself the nice guy so I am not afraid that way. Most of the things on the list just happen at home. He is very smart to not do or say things that would make anyone not like him if he thinks he needs them to like him for something he can get in return or to protect his image or to make sure that if I say something to them they will not believe me because they think he is such a nice guy. He is always very nice to my Mom and Dad and sometimes calls them to tell them things before I can like if something good happens for me. Then he tells them how happy he is for me or how proud he is of me and makes it sound like a good thing when he was really doing that I think to 1) take my good news away from me and 2) to get points with my parents that think he is sincere about being happy for me.

I do not want to be a victim. I do not like saying that I am abused or that he is abusive because I think I have made choices that have allowed this behavior and now I have to make choices to stop them and I will. A few years ago I would not have said this but that is where I am now. I am not a survivor like someone I know said the other day. I am a student.

Now that I think about that, I think maybe I have not been studying very hard and I will now have to cram for finals. I can do that. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 02:56 pm
Sweettart--

Good luck in your finals.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 04:15 am
sweettart wrote:
I think I have made choices that have allowed this behavior and now I have to make choices to stop them and I will.

Good on you! Smile
0 Replies

sweettart

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 09:05 am
I am so angry and I do not know what to do with my feelings. He said he is moving out and is making arrangements to do that but it will take a few weeks and in the mean time he is being so manipulative. He is talking to one of our children and asking them things to get information about where I go and who I see and what I say. One of the other kids heard him laughing and saying to someone on the phone that he has "eyes and ears everywhere." I am disappointed that my one teen would behave this way after saying they did not want to be in the middle, which I have respected. I would expect this from my husband since I knew it would drive him crazy to not know everything about me anymore.

The other night he said that he would move so the kids and I could stay where we are but that he does not want me to bring any guys into the house while he is at work until after he has moved out and could I please respect his wishes on that. I do not know if that means he really thinks I am having an affair or if he was just saying that to make me say that I am not.

I said I would agree to that as long as he leaves as soon as possible.

He did not take very long to agree to move so now I am back to wondering if he is the one having an affair or if he just wanted a divorce too and did not want to be the one to bring it up so he could blame me and say I am the one that wanted it. I do not know why that matters so much to him unless it is just more of his "I'm the martyr" personality.

Any suggestions for how to deal with the anger? Do I say anything to him about putting the kids in the middle and making them his spies?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 09:33 am
Sweettart--

Hasn't your husband always been a manipulative man? Why would this change just because you two are going to be divorced?

Bottom line here: His manipulative ways are one of the reasons for the divorce.

Granted you've been resenting Mr. Puppet Master's habits for a long time, but the universe won't give you extra tantrum points for your long standing resentment. The past is over--deal with the present.

You say he'll be moving out in a few weeks? Hang on. You've lasted this long, you can last a few more weeks.

Don't put the kids in the middle. Don't discuss his behavior with them. If they want to discuss his behavior with you, make a super-human effort and tell them his behavior is no longer your business and is certainly not their business unless they choose to make it so.

Try to come up with a snappy slogan: "You're our kid, not a soccer ball. I don't want you to carry my problems."

Remember unless you pulled off several virgin births, the kids are his as well as your. They are watching you both and taking notes about how beloved adults act when love is dead.

Down the road, your hypothetical sons and daughters-in-law may thank you for being a good example.

As for begging you not to indulge your wild and lustful ways in his house while he still lives there....typical Puppet Master Ploy. Insulting, infuriating and untrue. What else is new?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

sweettart

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:24 am
You are very right, Noddy24. The past is over--deal with the present. I did want just a few extra tantrum points though if you find any you can pass along. Smile

I very much appreciate your thoughtful and wise response. You are right, you are right, you are right. I try to stay calm and look forward but I get very mad when I know it is shaping the childrens minds. It would make me very sad for my child to learn to be manipulative.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 11:03 am
Sweettart--

The First Mr. Noddy is still alive somewhere, otherwise I'm thinking that your Soon-to-be-Ex Puppet Master was a reincarnation.

Being involved in adult affairs--especially their parents' affairs--is heady stuff for a kid. The want the Power of the Inside Track, but they resent having to deal with Adult Turmoil.

Kids have to learn to resist manipulation, whether from a peer group or an insecure parent who puts his/her needs before the kids' own interests.
Kids don't want to take sides and they will resent the parent who wants them to take sides.

Remember, just as your marriage was mostly All About Him, as far as he's concerned, your divorce is going to be All About Him. Be prepared.

One of the great things about coming out of a bad marriage is that you learn not to feel guilty when you're awarding yourself Martyr Points and Glorious Rewards.

As for Tantrums, A2K is designed for Tantrums. Of course someone may point out that after rolling around on the floor, kicking and screaming, that your hair is full of dust woolies, but such observations are usually made in a kindly spirit.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies