THE NEW CAT ROOM! (or the Cat Room #2)

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 05:50 am
As this keeps happening:

Hamster 8756434 reports - No posts exist for this topic

... & folk keep having difficulty getting into the Cat Room, I figure it must be time to start a new (continuing from where we left off) thread ... (The first thread is very long!)

OK, so a mystery prize for the first poster! Very Happy

Francis

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 05:53 am
I like mystery...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 05:54 am
Ha! Francis!

You're quick! Laughing

(Rummaging in bag of mystery gifts!)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:02 am
& the prize is ....!:

(Thinking, thinking, furiously thinking ......)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:04 am
This was the last post from the old Cat Room:

Vivien wrote:
Himself came home with a new collar for Paddy a few weeks ago - a pretty green with little white daisies on with yellow centres Shocked Rolling Eyes

I said he couldn't put a little boy cat in that!

he came home collarless this week and is now sporting this pretty collar as he'll decimate the bird population without the bell. All the neighbourhood cats will be sniggering behind their paws at him Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:17 am
msolga, I just posted a long post on the old thread! Is there a way to bring it over here?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:20 am
Hi VN! Very Happy

Why not just do a press the "quote" button. Then copy the quote. Then paste here. Does that make sense? Hope so!
msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:22 am
If you have a problem, VN, let me know & I'll transfer it over. (Like I did with Vivien's post.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:30 am
OK, here's the mystery prize for Francis!

First, a most attractive cat & mouse tie!:

http://www.catgiftstore.com/images_small/Cat_and_Mouse_Tie2_thumb.jpg

& also, these stunning cat socks!:

http://www.catgiftstore.com/images_small/Kitten_Sweetness_and_Silhouette_Socks_thumb.jpg

Will you stand out in a crowd, or what, Francis!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:33 am
Here you go, VN!:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/36666086544031aace7f01.jpg

Vietnamnurse wrote:
I think I mentioned before that I "inherited" my daughter's cats when she moved in with her fellow that hates felines. Well, they are 14 years old and I just put one to sleep because she was so debilitated from an auto-immune disorder called Pemphigus. Horrible, really, her skin literally fell of her body in crusts, to say nothing about what it did to her insides. The Merck Veterinary Manual and my Vet say that diet is frequently the cause. Well, she was on Science Diet K/D along with her brother who had only first stage disease. There was so little protein in the food that I think she developed Pemphigus. I tried to save her for about 4 months....but when everything we did failed and she couldn't eat, I did what I could for her and gave her the peace she so needed.

I took the diet and threw it out and am presently feeding a dry food diet called EVO and Fancy Feast , both high in protein. The vet told me that even though the kidney is failing slightly, that cats NEED protein! I am through with Science Diets for all my animals, including my dogs.

Tequila, the brother, who was the cat with early stage kidney failure, was just diagnosed to have pneumonia with a lobe of his lung collapsed! The only way we found that out was when the vet attempted to do a dental cleaning and he could not be sedated because of his breathing! I had no idea he had pneumonia or a collapsed lobe because he had no outward signs. He is on antibiotics and the pneumonia has cleared up, but the lobe remains collapsed. We now have him on long term antibiotics to try to reinflate it. His appetite is excellent and his activity level is par for a 14 yr old cat.

The Siamese cat, Suchot, has a mast cell tumor on his eyelid! He just had most of it removed and will probably do very well for some time. The prognosis usually isn't good if it is a metastasis from say, a liver primary tumor. His appears to be just on the eyelid as he is very sleek and happy for a 12 yr old cat.

I just feel I am running a HOSPICE FOR CATS!!! Egads! They are indoor cats so they haven't been exposed to environmental toxins. It is so difficult to see them decline...they are such wonderful and loving pets.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:53 am
VN, what a terrible situation! Serious health problems with all 3! That is very difficult. Science Diet K/D is used so frequently for cats with kidney problems here. It's often prescribed by vets. I had no idea it could cause such problems. Good luck with Tequila & Suchot!
Oh, you poor thing, having to cope with all this at once!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:06 am
Vivien wrote:
Himself came home with a new collar for Paddy a few weeks ago - a pretty green with little white daisies on with yellow centres Shocked Rolling Eyes

I said he couldn't put a little boy cat in that!

he came home collarless this week and is now sporting this pretty collar as he'll decimate the bird population without the bell. All the neighbourhood cats will be sniggering behind their paws at him Rolling Eyes

Any chance of a photograph, Vivien?
Actually, I imagine Paddy looks quite stunning!
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 09:46 am
Many thanks for the help, msolga! Also for the empathy about my little felines. BTW, I enjoyed your bit about Melbourne, your city. I have only been to Sydney and the environs. We were at a meeting and then went on for trip of Southern New Zealand. I would love to see more of Australia.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:52 pm
msolga, thank you for starting this new thread!

VN, I am sorry to hear your problems and once again I appreciate that Nisse and Mysan are so healthy. Hope it stays that way...
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:32 pm
thanks, urs53...I just noticed we joined at about the same time. I dropped out for awhile to do other things( and a dear friend mamajuana passed away) and have recently returned. I try to visit most of the forums. Politics can get me extremely frustrated and depressed. I have so many interests and love the people on the books and pets threads.

Do you have any other animals besides your cats?

I have such an attachment to my animals and found that my wonderful vet does also. As she was putting my cat Pewter to sleep, she made me feel so good. I had told her that my friends want to be reincarnated as one of my animals....she said if a little cat comes to my door that I should take it in as it will be her!!! Laughing I laughed when she told me she has all her pets cremated (me likewise!) and that one of them was a goat whose ashes were placed on her mantel! Needless to say, she made the euthenasia of my beloved Pewter a lot easier.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:32 pm
Vietnamnurse wrote:
Many thanks for the help, msolga! Also for the empathy about my little felines. BTW, I enjoyed your bit about Melbourne, your city. I have only been to Sydney and the environs. We were at a meeting and then went on for trip of Southern New Zealand. I would love to see more of Australia.

A pleasure, VN. I'm hoping starting this new thread isn't confusing anyone, but it was getting so frustrating every time a new "page" started!.
You missed Melbourne!!!! How could you! (Melbourne & Sydney have this silly, mythical, on-going "rivalry" thing. Just doing my bit here to maintain it! :wink: ) And I would love to visit the US, too. One day, when I'm wealthy! (Oh yeah! Laughing )

I'm all hoping your little animal hospital is looking good & positive this morning!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 07:30 am
sorry about your cats problems VN, it's very upsetting I know. Very worrying about the deficiencies in the cat food. I've always given ours a mixed diet of tinned/pouch food and dry food (a variety of makes but often Iams) and fresh chicken and of course milk - Rosie wouldn't eat anything except chicken as a baby and still only eats the chicken cat foods and refuses all the others, picky madam.

Msolga how are you feeling?

I'll definitely take a photo of Paddy in his pretty new collar! he's out playing at the moment. It's cold so he won't stay out too long, he'll need to come in and thaw out by the radiator soon.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 07:50 am
Good morning from Maryland! All is quiet here...dogs and cats napping and I am drinking my morning coffee without furry bundles on my lap.

msolga, if you ever do come to the US, you must let me know...I live near DC and I am willing to be a guide!
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 07:51 am
This topic has probably been brought up before, if it has I missed it....WHY are some words underlined in green? Or is it just my computer?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 11:04 am
VN, Nisse and Mysan are our only pets. And I think we could not handle more! Sometimes, we do think about getting a third cat. But the two get along so well. They are brother and sister and are will be six years old in September. So we will keep it that way, I guess...
0 Replies