THE NEW CAT ROOM! (or the Cat Room #2)

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 07:03 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Some days it's good to be a cat.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2212/2209390484_5b09002657.jpg

and some days it sucks.

We lost Jack (top resting spot) to cancer last year and Kato (white boy in the middle) passed yesterday. He had degenerative bone loss and just slowly stopped doing much of anything but sleep. Sad. Our neighbor found him dead yesterday when she went over to feed them. We had no idea he was so close to passing...

Mongo (bottom) has never been alone and we're still days from getting home. The neighbor will visit more often and the girls are both making plans to go home for a few days.

Mr B is despondent.

I wrote this back in 2010
Quote:
Mongo is the people cat who would do well as a single family pet. I don't know what the other two would do without a brother to hang out with.

I guess we'll see if I was right.

Kato and Jack from 2008

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2331/2208620419_a3e380493b_m.jpg

Rest in peace, kato and jack

<sniff>
JPB

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 07:10 am
The three amigos

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2360/2531285780_e72c5452bb.jpg
Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 07:12 am
@JPB,
awwwww.

RIP Kato....

(and Jack of course)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 07:22 am
@JPB,
They're all gorgeous!

Brothers? (Edit: Just saw "without a brother to hang out with.")

So sorry for your loss. I hope Mongo will revel in the attention.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 07:47 am
Sorry for your loss, JPB. I know very well how close we can get to our critters.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 07:52 am
@JPB,
Oh, I am so sorry. And so awful to be away.

(((((((((((((JPB))))))))

I do hope Mongo enjoys being top cat.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 08:08 am
Thanks, everyone.

Mr B is debating going home early. I think that was an immediate gut reaction last night that might not be how he feels today. We'd either have to change our flights or do a one-way rental car. Neither is a good option for various reasons. And, other than being home with Mongo, it wouldn't change anything. We'll see. But, yes, we do get attached and it's awful being away from home when we lose a beloved pet.

To say nothing of our poor neighbor who found him and had to tell us...

Roberta

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 09:13 am
So sorry, J.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 09:22 am
@JPB,
I'm sorry, JPB. They were a great crew together.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 09:34 am
thanku
Eva

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 03:08 pm
@JPB,
Oh, I'm so sorry, J. I completely understand wanting to rush home although it probably wouldn't make any difference. The cats are so beautiful. How old was Kato?
JPB

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 05:07 am
@Eva,
Thank you, Eva. Kato was 12.5 which according to wikipedia is exactly the median life expectancy for Maine Coons.

We're all beating ourselves up over the fact that he was alone when he died. We thought M would be home for her winter break while we were gone when we made our trip plans. She is spending her break at school, K is deeply engrossed in final exams, and I had to be here this week for business reasons. Our neighbor has tended to them in the past but we never would have asked her to care for a cat who was on the brink of death. It's just sad all around and we're all wishing one or more of us were there with him at the time.
Izzie

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 04:57 pm
@JPB,
so very sad J... sending love your way, and love to P and K & M xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 10:17 am
@JPB,
Well, he wasn't alone... Mongo was there.

How's Mongo doing so far?
JPB

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 10:26 am
@sozobe,
You're right.

M called late yesterday and told us she was home with Mongo and that he seems to be doing fine. She called this morning and said the house doesn't feel right --- too empty. She'll be there for a few days and then K will be home once she finishes up her finals. And, then we'll be back too. We may decide to move Mongo south with us for the remainder of the winter. It would be a huge change for all of us and not an easy trip for him. Dunno yet, but our days of going back and forth every other month or so are probably over.
sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 10:53 am
@JPB,
Good for Mongo. (I like that name, I keep wanting to say it/ type it.) Glad he seems to be doing fine.

Going back and forth every month sounds stressful. Mongo might be fine with moving south, he seems like an adaptable sort (?).

Can K or M take him in?
JPB

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 11:03 am
@sozobe,
K already has a cat.

And a roommate.

M is in a dorm most of the year.

And, he's our cat and we want to be with him. The reason we've been doing the back and forth thing was primarily because of the cats and our work obligations. Kato was too old to make the trip and the apt here has a no pets policy, although we were given permission last week to bring them (when there were still two of them) down if it meant we'd stay on. Mr B's work situation has changed. He's no longer obligated to be here and mine has changed in that I'm able to work from here or from home. We have options. I just don't know which way we'll go at this point other than we've decided not to leave Mongo alone with a neighbor coming over daily to feed him.
sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 11:06 am
@JPB,
I see. Well, glad you have options and I'm sure you'll figure it out. Great news about your current apartment accepting cats now.

Meanwhile your options in general (not just as related to cats) sound kind of exciting, lots of possibilities.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2012 04:40 pm
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/481494_10151137053975658_979249103_n.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 07:17 pm
How Ernest Hemingway's cats became a federal case (+video)
The descendants of Ernest Hemingway's cats – dozens of them – freely roam the writer's former home, now a museum. In a controversial court case, a judge says the felines must be regulated under federal law.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2012/1209/How-Ernest-Hemingway-s-cats-became-a-federal-case-video
0 Replies