georgeob1

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 07:19 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

What I read in Freakonomics was that children of parents motivated enough to make the effort of getting into charter schools performed better. Surprisingly perhaps, the applicants that were not admitted performed better than average in conventional schools. All of Levitt & Dubner's research was done within the Chicago school system

That's very interesting. It suggests that the parentasl actions themselves may have had a beneficial effect -- a very plausible explanation in my perception.

That also suggests that the parental choice and attention associated with charter schools (many take extra steps to engage the parents) may well be not only an important part of the benefit, but also (in my view) a very significant element of addressing some related social pathologies in cities like Detroit. It seems likely that the example of success in charter schools will stimulate more parents to get involved in applying for them or merely paying attention to what is going on in the public schools, with all the indicated associated benefits.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 11:55 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Jesus, you're another one who doesn't understand that a QUESTION mark indicates that I'm asking a question. I can't be putting words into your mouth (and having poor form) if I'm literally asking you what your 'words' are.

I understand that you are asking a question, but you are asking a question based on something I never said or implied. So yes, you were putting words in my mouth.

My words were clear but you had to twist them into something they didn't say. A less weighted opinion is not no opinion. It is just an opinion that doesn't carry the same weight and therefore would have less action in change. Is that clear enough for you?

An example would be you and schools. You are a taxpayer but you don't have children to be in the school. Should your opinion on what the school does have more impact than the opinion of a parent with a child in the school?

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying your meaning.
I disagree 100%, but thanks.

You disagree because you want to be able to control what the schools teach even though you have no children in the school? Can't really join the PTA if you don't have a child in the school. Your vote counts the same as the parents when it comes time to vote on school issues via your school district, local elections not PTA meetings.

You sound as if you are in favor of everyone having an equal opinion on everything? Is that correct?
maporsche

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 12:36 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
Jesus, you're another one who doesn't understand that a QUESTION mark indicates that I'm asking a question. I can't be putting words into your mouth (and having poor form) if I'm literally asking you what your 'words' are.

I understand that you are asking a question, but you are asking a question based on something I never said or implied. So yes, you were putting words in my mouth.

My words were clear but you had to twist them into something they didn't say. A less weighted opinion is not no opinion. It is just an opinion that doesn't carry the same weight and therefore would have less action in change. Is that clear enough for you?

An example would be you and schools. You are a taxpayer but you don't have children to be in the school. Should your opinion on what the school does have more impact than the opinion of a parent with a child in the school?

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying your meaning.
I disagree 100%, but thanks.

You disagree because you want to be able to control what the schools teach even though you have no children in the school? Can't really join the PTA if you don't have a child in the school. Your vote counts the same as the parents when it comes time to vote on school issues via your school district, local elections not PTA meetings.

You sound as if you are in favor of everyone having an equal opinion on everything? Is that correct?

If my tax dollars are paying for an education, I want to be able to have a say in that education. That is what I'm saying. In fact, I might even believe that people who pay more tax dollars should have a GREATER say than those who don't. I'm not sure I've thought through the full implications of that stance, but on the surface, I think I lean that way.

Specifically, I don't want my tax dollars to teach creationism in biology classes. I don't want my tax dollars to indoctrinate students into any religion.

That's really where my beef with most of the 'school-choice' stuff I've seen.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 04:04 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Or that people who can't pass an IQ test should have an opinion on anything?

It might be interesting to find how many on this site can pass an IQ test.
Builder

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 04:07 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
...to find how many on this site can pass an IQ test.

LOL/ you just failed the test. Unless you can specify a "pass" mark.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 04:14 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
Unless you can specify a "pass" mark.

Between 85 and 115. Of course mine is around 250 - 150.
layman

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 04:17 pm
@Builder,
I passed an IQ test once.

I was just mindin my own damn bidnizz, walking down the hall at school, when some candy-ass counselor said: "Hey, boy, come in here and take this IQ test."

I said: "Naw, thanks, I'm bizzy," and just kept walkin.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 04:47 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
If my tax dollars are paying for an education, I want to be able to have a say in that education. That is what I'm saying. In fact, I might even believe that people who pay more tax dollars should have a GREATER say than those who don't. I'm not sure I've thought through the full implications of that stance, but on the surface, I think I lean that way.

You don't really believe this. If that was the case then the majority of those who pay taxes, which are the wealthy would have all the say and you would have none. You only think you believe this because it gives you power over the school system and as someone who is left of center, that gives you control over the people as well. You don't think those who think differently than you are as smart as you and therefor you really know what is better for them. Typical liberal, the masses are stupid and they need to be told what is right and wrong and is good for them and what isn't...

Quote:
Specifically, I don't want my tax dollars to teach creationism in biology classes. I don't want my tax dollars to indoctrinate students into any religion.

So your only reason for wanting to control the school system to prevent religion from being taught in school. Well the Christian religion anyways, all others are fine and approved. Don't deny it, we have all seen the hate you have for Christians and their beliefs.

maporsche

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 05:02 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:

You don't really believe this. If that was the case then the majority of those who pay taxes, which are the wealthy would have all the say and you would have none. You only think you believe this because it gives you power over the school system and as someone who is left of center, that gives you control over the people as well. You don't think those who think differently than you are as smart as you and therefor you really know what is better for them. Typical liberal, the masses are stupid and they need to be told what is right and wrong and is good for them and what isn't...

You call it control when you disagree with my view point, but when it comes to something like the 47% who don't pay any income taxes leaning toward voting democratic, you want to take their voice away too. But when you want to do it, it's not control it's what...common sense? Typical conservative.....
Quote:

Quote:

So your only reason for wanting to control the school system to prevent religion from being taught in school. Well the Christian religion anyways, all others are fine and approved. Don't deny it, we have all seen the hate you have for Christians and their beliefs.

I don't want to control the school system. I could care less what they teach mostly. I just want to have a voice in them NOT indoctrinating students in ANY religion. If you're going to teach science, teach actual science with all the usual caveats regarding the scientific process and the long processes of discovery and building off the works of others. Whatever they want to teach in English class doesn't typically concern me.

...and "we've all seen the hate I have for Christians and their beliefs"???? Where do you get that from?
Baldimo

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 05:19 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
You call it control when you disagree with my view point, but when it comes to something the 47% who don't pay any income taxes leaning toward voting democratic, you want to take their voice away too. But when you want to do it, it's not control it's what...common sense? Typical conservative.....

Why are you making things up? Can you point to where I said anything close to this? You on the other hand did say you think those who pay the taxes should have the most say in what goes on.

Quote:
I don't want to control the school system.

You just said that very thing. You pay the taxes so you should get a say in what goes on. Those who don't pay taxes shouldn't have a say. Your words, not mine.

Quote:
If you're going to teach science, teach actual science with all the usual caveats regarding the scientific process and the long processes of discovery and building off the works of others. Whatever they want to teach in English class doesn't typically concern me.

I'll agree with you on the teaching of science that it should be fact based and proven theories. Now we will differ on subjects because I don't think global warning is proven enough to be taught in schools as a proven theory. This is a subject where the teachers should be doing "both sides of the coin".

Quote:
and "we've all seen the hate have for Christians and their beliefs"???? Where do you get that from?

You can ask that with a straight face and not laugh? Well your bias against religion has been spoken here many times. You made sure to mention creationism in schools but didn't mention any other "religion" you don't want brought up in schools. That leads people to think every other religion is ok to teach but not about the Christian religion. Before you make a judgement, I'm not a Christian and have no followings in Christ.
giujohn

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 05:20 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Quote:
Unless you can specify a "pass" mark.

Between 85 and 115. Of course mine is around 250 - 150.

100???
Holy crap, did you lose some as you got older???
giujohn

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 05:22 pm
@layman,
Well mine is 124... And I think you're smarter than I am, so...
maporsche

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 05:22 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
You call it control when you disagree with my view point, but when it comes to something the 47% who don't pay any income taxes leaning toward voting democratic, you want to take their voice away too. But when you want to do it, it's not control it's what...common sense? Typical conservative.....

Why are you making things up? Can you point to where I said anything close to this? You on the other hand did say you think those who pay the taxes should have the most say in what goes on.

I said "I think, I believe..." and that I haven't fully considered what that position would mean and that I only lean that way.

I think you probably have some belief (of whatever degree) that people who pay taxes probably should have more of a say in how those taxes are spent too. You can't admit it now that you're taken such a hard line against me, but deep down.......just maybe......
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 05:24 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Baldimo wrote:

and "we've all seen the hate have for Christians and their beliefs"???? Where do you get that from?

You can ask that with a straight face and not laugh? Well your bias against religion has been spoken here many times. You made sure to mention creationism in schools but didn't mention any other "religion" you don't want brought up in schools. That leads people to think every other religion is ok to teach but not about the Christian religion. Before you make a judgement, I'm not a Christian and have no followings in Christ.

Yeah, totally straight faced and with a puzzled look even. I'd like to see evidence of my "hate for Christians". Maybe you're confusing me with someone else.

Every religion has a creation myth. I'm a big fan of not teaching ANY of them.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 07:18 pm
@giujohn,
Mine was 145 in middle school and I was the object of some weird additional hocus pocus.

Obviously peaked early.. Wink

I think that number is pretty meaningless. What you do with what you have is the most important thing. Some people can achieve magnificence with so much less raw material, so to speak.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 07:27 pm
@giujohn,
http://able2know.org/topic/276835-1#post-5949236
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 01:43 am
@giujohn,
got to give you credit glueboy. you subtracted 150 from 250 and came up with the right answer. genius!
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 03:23 am
@giujohn,
Quote:
100???
Holy crap, did you lose some as you got older???

Scatter-gun approach. If you're gonna lie, make it a big one.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 05:36 pm
The entire country is looking forward to growth & prosperity after enduring 8 dismal years of 0bamanomics.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:06 am
http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2016_49/1180034/time-poy-cover-trump-today-161206_cbe454aa529a192dd0e276627cd43f31.today-inline-large.jpg