How will Trump handle losing the election?

glitterbag

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 11:01 am
@farmerman,
I believe our long nightmare will soon be over. I'm not sure how many Americans have had a chance to met with citizens from other civilizations, but this election has baffled, amused and occasionally horrified our neighbors and allies. I'm looking forward to the day I won't be embarrassed by Trump supporters or mindless Hillary haters.

I think it's fair to say that Trump is a useful idiot with low impulse control. And despite a few of my fellow citizens delight or glee watching a vulgar, coarse, swollen lump stick his filthy finger in the eye of what we used to call polite society, now even the most naive devotees are getting nervous as he systematically disrespects even their cherished institutions. Trump cannot help himself, he has to be the only idol worshiped in the room. Even at the Al Smith dinner last Thursday, he was so disrespectful and ham handed he became the first speaker in 72 years to actually be booed because of his crude and graceless remarks. The Al Smith dinner is a charity event held yearly that raises money for needy children in the New York ArchDiocese. It's been distinguished by its wit and self deprecating humor, well until that ape in white tails put a halt to that tradition. But, we will do fine without a Donald Trump as the attention hog in chief and next year the Al Smith dinner will return to tradition and good sportsmanship. Donald Trump is a one man sh$t storm and he cheapens everything he touches.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 11:17 am
@ehBeth,
thanks for the link
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 01:25 pm
The man formerly known to his employer George W. Bush as "Turd Blossom" - Karl Rove - says Trump is Toast.

Karl Rove is throwing in the towel.

In an appearance on “Fox News Sunday,” the Republican strategist said that Donald Trump’s poll numbers are simply too dismal to end in victory on election night.

“I don’t see it happening,” Rove told Fox. “If he plays an inside straight, he could get it, but I doubt he’s going to be able to play it.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/karl-rove-donald-trump-cant-win_us_580cb4c1e4b000d0b15727dc
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 02:10 pm
@blatham,
What makes you think that Hillary is any better than Kerry? Against a decent Republican candidate she would have had a very difficult time explaining away her email problem (which was of her making) and her sometimes conflicted views on trade and immigration.

Imagine Hillary in the debates against an opponent like Marco Rubio.

By any objective measure, she is not a very good candidate.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 02:29 pm
On the other hand, I don't think that her mandate, or her presidency will be weakened. The fact is that that Republicans chose Trump to be their nominee based on the desire of their base. The fact that Trump will be the decisive loser in this election doesn't change the fact that Hillary's ideas were chosen over Republican ideas.

Hillary will start her presidency with a great deal of political capital. And the Republicans, who have earned the image as obstructionists, will have a difficult time promoting their ideas.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 02:34 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Imagine Hillary in the debates against an opponent like Marco Rubio
sounds like a lot of "coulda woulda" no? seems like all the "decent" GOP candidates couldnt hold their own with the Donald, so that argument's moot.
MArco dropped out under advisement in order to give himself a political future, and, unlike Obama, he has very little "presence". He needs some good speech coaching so he doesnt sound so insincere.
Hes a TEa Bagger and we see that they arent high on the popularity list

There were some GOP candidates I preferred over Hillary but they aint in the race. Were stuck with the demagogue who is, besides,a, sociopathic, narcissistic, mysogynist. Hes the target. Im sure Hillary isnt gonna have a "honeymoon and a quiet term".

Just like the GOP spokesman Rush Limbugh said about Obam (from day 1)<
"Im going to see that he fails as president"
See why the GOP capital is even less than counterfeit?

The way they did the "Swiftboating" on Kerry back when, I see much of the Wikileaks as much of the same (The connections aqre too suspicious).
We will only see after the elections if the Wikileaks are mostly dropped.

For a "poor candidate" She sure bass-fished Trump into saying some really dumb ****. Seems like Trump will rise to any spinner because of his narcissistic tendencies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 02:52 pm
@farmerman,
Also, Trump's thin skin will destroy himself. He's already imploded. We just have to wait for him to explode. His suit against all the women who claimed Trump groped them will be another OJ spectacle; he's going to lose big time. The Trump brand is going to go kaput. His hotels are already suffering.
Trump is already removing his name from his hotels, changing it to Scion.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 03:02 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Hofstader always took many more words than were needed. I think Elmore LEonard would have stated it precisely an concisely
"Its just the BIG LIE, that then becomes a slogan"

If we're ever in a bar at the same time, we'll brawl on that one. Be forewarned - I may be little but I have that wiry agility normally seen only in meth users.

And after I wipe the floor with you (and any brothers you've brought along) I'll explain how your example is not concise so much as it is vague and imprecise.
blatham

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 03:08 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I'm not sure how many Americans have had a chance to met with citizens from other civilizations, but this election has baffled, amused and occasionally horrified our neighbors and allies.

I've been quite surprised by how many people up here in this odd BC backwater are quite up to date on the race to the point where they've watched some or all of the debates. There are, amazingly, Trump fans here but they number perhaps one in forty or fifty. Just this week while picking up some lumber at Home Depot, I cracked a Trump joke and the fellow in front of me stated the both candidates were horrible but Clinton was a criminal and that I should read up on it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 03:17 pm
Quote:
Imagine Hillary in the debates against an opponent like Marco Rubio

Good grief. What a terrible example. Rubio is young and good looking (always a winning combination, as Trump has explained) but he's not a good debater either technically or intuitively. That instance of him deciding to make a nervous attack on Trump through suggesting Trump probably has a small pecker will be set down in the history books as one of the most degraded moments in presidential campaigns ever. Plus he's lazy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 03:18 pm
@blatham,
Trump's new name for his hotels, Scion is appropriate. It spells out as "con si."
snood

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 03:38 pm
@blatham,
Thanks for that post. The concept of Hillary as uber corrupt politician and oh-so inferior candidate has been bandied about so much that its become almost ubiquitous.

Maybe it's because she's a woman, I don't know...but I don't think she's gotten nearly enough credit for her skill, experience, intelligence and for having the kind of temperament that could serve a president well in getting things done.

Now, granted - I have always had my issues with both Bill and Hillary for being too slick for their own good and I trust Hillary less than I trust (for instance) Obama to actually try to do what they say they will.

For the most part I think the bad rap she continues to get is hogwash. I think she's likely to be a very effective and productive president. With Warren and Bernie and some others holding her accountable, I think she may also run a pretty progressive agenda. The same ones who have been loudest in denigrating her to this point are also heavily invested in hating her and anything she does forever; and so will never give her any credit for anything positive. And on we go.

snood

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 03:46 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
For a "poor candidate" She sure bass-fished Trump into saying some really dumb ****. Seems like Trump will rise to any spinner because of his narcissistic tendencies

They way she walked Trump right where she wanted him to go was masterful. If she's such a "weak candidate", she sure did something that none of those 16 supposedly "strong" primary candidates could.
Lash

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 03:56 pm
@snood,
She elevated him to the nomination because she knows she's too weak to beat a decent candidate. Read her staff say it in Wikileaks. Pull your head out of the sand.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 03:57 pm
@snood,
This is a logical fallacy. There is a Hillary fandom that you represent very well. I don't think the facts support your position. She has weaknesses as a candidate and weaknesses in her record. Other candidates (Kerry and Dukakis for example) have lost elections for similar weakness. Many non-biased observers see her as a weak candidate.

You are also pretending that Trump is a normal candidate. He isn't. Hillary is soundly beating Trump. And, it is impressive.

But the fact that Hillary is soundly beating Trump says nothing about how she would do against a competent candidate.

I hope she is a good president.
blatham

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 04:11 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Maybe it's because she's a woman, I don't know...but I don't think she's gotten nearly enough credit for her skill, experience, intelligence and for having the kind of temperament that could serve a president well in getting things done.

This stuff drives me a little bit into the crazy. But we've seen it with Obama too where for years liberal comments commonly denigrated him for insufficient liberalism or lousy political skills or some such. It isn't that there weren't valid criticisms (ie too much faith that his GOP colleagues in office would think and act rationally and in the best interests of the nation) but the criticisms I read seemed to reflect the ebb and flow of media stories. I cannot count the number of times (this was at another site) where I found myself saying something along the lines of "You dummies. This guy is special. You're very, very fortunate to have him in the WH". And as long as things down there don't go full whackadoodle, his reputation and the regard in which he's held will continue to increase.
blatham

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 04:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Trump's new name for his hotels, Scion is appropriate. It spells out as "con si."

I wonder if the doofus is capable of understanding the damage he's done to his brand. And this is just the start. The Trump U case opens 20 days after the election and we know the media is going to cover that with nearly as much glee as OJ Simpson.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 04:44 pm
@blatham,
Made me laugh..

I happen to enjoy reading both of you, oft in agreement or learning, and I carp from time to time.

So, for me to get to be a fly on the wall, it w0uld matter where you choose to meet and eat and argue. Hmm.

Blatham, I've never thought of you as little. My father was five six. My first and arguably best lover was five three. My ex who I still like as person is five ten. I don't dislike tall. I'm 5' 5 1/2 or likely less by now.

I get it that height matters, at least for people in magazines and probably in academic surveys.

This brings up my favorite teacher, Nori. Small japanese man, artist, very creative, but also very smart about construction, art, and people, and humor. He is under 5', not that I ever grabbed a yardstick.

I still have a vision of him showing us landscape students how the various machines worked.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 04:50 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Oops, that was a reply to my clicking on New, which turned out to be an August post.. I gather that's a matter of old moldering cookies.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 05:45 pm
@farmerman,
Not liking Trump doesn't change facts. Sheesh.
0 Replies