Trump Taking Unpopular Positions

gollum

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2024 02:50 pm
Does Trump have any special qualities that explain how he knew that taking political positions far different from any previous Republican presidential candidate would make him not only President but an almost larger-than-life figure?

glitterbag

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2024 02:47 pm
@gollum,
Yes, he has immense greed and will never be satisfied even if he gets to own everything and everybody.
jespah

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2024 06:10 pm
@glitterbag,
He's also a useful idiot for Putin, so the stuff he's saying is going to be what average white dude in Armpit, Arkansas wants to hear—that he's exceptional due to the color of his skin, which church he goes to, and what's in his pants (which 45 also thinks, conveniently forgetting that he inherited his wealth and didn't work for it). He (both 45 and average white dude) shouldn't have to strive like them minority types because the divine right of white dudes should give him everything he ever wanted.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2024 05:43 pm
@gollum,
A big part of it was his luck being in the right place at the right time. Four years later and he'd have been laughed out of the primaries. A lot of people voted as anti-establishment as they could. And got a Congress that was a disaster as well as Mango Jebus.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2024 09:41 pm
@gollum,
Why would you think that was his reasoning process? That's mind reading. Most politicians, hopefully, just advocate what they believe in.
gollum

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2024 01:40 am
@Brandon9000,
I did not conclude that it was his reasoning process. All I did was ask a question.

I don't like the man. I don't think that he is fit to be president.

That said, no other politician appears to have read the public like him.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2024 08:43 am
@gollum,
Your statement is premised on mind reading, which neither you nor I is capable of.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2024 02:41 am
@gollum,
All politicians lie/exagerrate.

David Lloyd George famously promised to hang the Kaiser, but that never happened.

What marked out Hitler as different is that these extreme positions weren't lies, he actually meant them.

Trump strikes me as an opportunist taking any stance that will benefit him.

It's all about him, personal power and riches.
0 Replies