When will Ted Cruz give up his candidacy?

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 08:49 pm
If there was a state Cruz could win in it was SC and it looks like he might not only lose to Trump but to Rubio as well. His mud slinging, fire and brimstone campaign isn't gaining traction and the states he should do well in are proportional delegate states anyway so he can't rack up delegates. Don't think he goes beyond Super Tuesday.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 9,410 • Replies: 152

jespah

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 08:49 pm
@engineer,
I imagine Super Tuesday will shake out a lot of people.
engineer

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 09:06 am
@jespah,
I've been looking at this in more detail and it looks like Cruz, just coming off a 20%+ showing in SC is pretty much a dead man walking. He has no hope in much of the country outside of the Bible Belt and in those states he can't collect enough delegates to make a dent at the convention. At this point Trump as 67 to Cruz's 11 and it doesn't get better for Cruz than Iowa and SC. I'm sure he'll continue to burn through other people's cash and it keeps him away from the Senate which is a plus, but it sure seems like a waste of time.
Blickers

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 09:27 am
@engineer,
That's almost too bad. I was waiting for him to get the nomination and then be ruled not a natural born citizen by the Supreme Court.
jespah

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 09:40 am
@Blickers,
It is kinda fun watching the verbal gymnastics going on already.

But yeah, if Cruz didn't crush it in South Carolina (and he didn't), then I'm pretty sure his rhetoric isn't going to go over any better in Virginia or New Jersey or Colorado, etc.
Blickers

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 09:54 am
@jespah,
Politics will always surprise you. It is somewhat possible that Cruz can build momentum through better-than-expected showings in coming primaries. It would not figure to work that way, but look how far Santorum got last time, he actually had Romney on the ropes but he started out with so little money that he couldn't afford to register in several districts.

I do think the citizenship issue for Cruz is real. He does not have the requisite qualifications for natural born citizenship that I have seen. He might win the case going through the courts, but don't bank on it. Check the requirements:
https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 10:53 am
I'm glad you started this thread because what I wanted to say about Cruz (and Trump) wouldn't fit in as well in existing threads. I'm petrified at the concept of this man even getting any proximity to the presidency. When I see Cruz now, and whenever I've seen him since he first showed up in the Senate, I get the impression of a smarmy, slimy facsimile of a person - I don't even get the sense I'm seeing a real person - just what some snakelike alien creature thought would approximate human behavior.
I've heard him described over and over as "extremely intelligent", and other adjectives like "supremely gifted orator", "skilled lawyer", and "crafty tactician". The only time I've heard anyone at all talk about the man's character is when the narrator of his campaign commercials talks about him having "conservative and christian convictions" - whatever that means. If you watch the campaign commercial he made with his family members, you will see his wife, mother and children cringe and grimace when Cruz gets close to them and tries to embrace or kiss them. The people that have worked closely with him in the Senate almost to a person say they don't like him.
He strikes me as a charismatic madman who is dedicated only to accumulating power and influence for himself - nothing else. He doesn't even pretend to be concerned with humanity, except when its in unborn fetus form. I was in fear of a Ted Cruz presidency, and I am so comforted that he seems to be falling away in the primaries. I feared him up to now because of what he could do if he got the office. I fear Trump for a similar reason, but also because so many people seem to be actually buying the Trump snake oil. I'll either start a thread about why I think Trump could beat Hillary and why that's scary, or I'll include it on someone else's thread.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 11:03 am
It seems like the real question is what happens on Super Tuesday. If Cruz stays around, there are three options for voters. This could let Trump rack up all the delegates where if it were a two man race, I think Rubio would come out ahead. Cruz staying in could lock it up for Trump, but I don't see him dropping and he certainly isn't going to listen to any party advice.
snood

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 11:14 am
@engineer,
Yup, Rubio may be a shallow, transparently careerist lightweight, but - he may be the only viable alternative to Trump the "establishment" GOP has got. I'm rooting for him - personally I don't think he would fare well against the Democrat. I think when the scrutiny narrowed to just him and either Bernie or Hillary, he would suffer greatly by comparison.
Blickers

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 12:31 pm
@snood,
Rubio is scary with the Hispanic vote. The Democratic Presidential majority is based on a big turnout of Hispanic votes for the Democrat, and if Rubio significantly cuts into that-he doesn't even have to get a majority, just cut way down on the Democratic plurality-it can be big trouble for the Democrats.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 01:16 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
When will Ted Cruz give up his candidacy?

I'm sure he will wait until his home state of Texas gets counted. Then he'll claim God has other plans for him and slip away quietly.
snood

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 01:17 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Rubio is scary with the Hispanic vote. The Democratic Presidential majority is based on a big turnout of Hispanic votes for the Democrat, and if Rubio significantly cuts into that-he doesn't even have to get a majority, just cut way down on the Democratic plurality-it can be big trouble for the Democrats.

Well, I think that Rubio's shadiness on immigration might just be on Latino's minds when they vote.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 02:07 pm
@rosborne979,
Suddenly, his family will need him to spend more time with them.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 05:53 pm
@jespah,
It'll probably be something like that. Then the poor guy will have to go back to the senate where he seems to be despised by almost everyone. I certainly don't hear about him making many friends wherever he goes. A very strange political strategy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 06:11 pm
@snood,
Sounds like solid strategy; root for Trump. Any democrat will slotter him at the polls.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 07:57 am
Cruz loses the white, born again vote in Nevada to Trump and comes in third overall again. Cruz has to decide if he hangs on and lets Trump consolidate his delegate lead or drop while he is pulling in 20% of the vote and let Rubio mount an anti-Trump campaign. Since this guy was completely willing to shut down the government and let it default on it's debt, I think Trump is going to roll it up on Super Tuesday.
snood

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:14 am
@engineer,
I'd prefer to run against Rubio than any of them.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 07:05 am
@snood,
http://i65.tinypic.com/2w74j2r.jpg
On last night's episode of @Midnight.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 01:34 pm
http://livebooklet.com/userFiles/a/2/5/0/9/0/5/mG69A8gJy3FU8Hm2FgRhIi/i7NsnRVG.jpghttp://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/politics/ted%20cruz%20fullness.png

Another uncanny resemblance. Senator Joseph McCarthy--right-wing fanatic and witch hunter.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 02:03 pm
@coluber2001,
I probably mentioned this before, but my wife thinks Cruz looks like a gangster. LOL
0 Replies