Who do you think will be the next president of the United States?

McGentrix

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 11:53 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

It is impossible to know, at this point, who will be the next president of the US. But relevant to this question is an observation we can make on the trajectory of the Grand Old Party...

Abraham Lincoln - "Government of the people by the people and for the people"

Donald Trump - "My colon clenches when I hear her name"

Lincoln - “He has at last invented this sort of do nothing Sovereignty—that the people may exclude slavery by a sort of ‘Sovereignty’ that is exercised by doing nothing at all. Is that not running his Popular Sovereignty down awfully? Has it not got down as thin as the homeopathic soup that was made by boiling the shadow of a pigeon that had starved to death?”

Trump - “Apply your skills and talent, but above all, be tenacious. See yourself as victorious–which means never giving up”
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 11:55 am
@blatham,
Maybe Abe never considered the possibility of a woman running for president.
blatham

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 12:24 pm
@roger,
Oh, I expect he did not. But had he done so, everything we know about the man suggests clearly that he would have suddenly been revealed as possessing a Kardashian-like character and intellect.

For example, I think it's pretty certain under that circumstance that at Cooper Union, Abe would have said something much like this...

"I have great genes and all that stuff, which I'm a believer in"
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 05:49 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
It is impossible to know, at this point, who will be the next president of the US.

It'll be Trump. Trump in 2020 as well.

2024, 2028, and 2032 will also see Republicans elected president.
BillRM

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 06:49 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Hell why bother to picked someone else to be president we can always just declared Trump President for life.

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 06:56 am
@BillRM,
Wondering where the future United Slaves of Trumplandia (everyone not voting for the Donald) will start building the Great Trump pyramids?

Soon-to-be Pharaoh Trump will need his glorious resting place that's fitting to his stature. I'm thinking ... 5280 feet tall golden metal and black glass pyramid.
blatham

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 07:38 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
5280 feet tall golden metal and black glass pyramid.

With a comb-over.

What a great man. He's like America - the best that ever was.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 10:56 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

...if there's any World left by then.
snood

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 11:06 am
Blatham:
Quote:
It is impossible to know, at this point, who will be the next president of the US.

Well sure, but that's never affected people's need to endlessly speculate. Heck, the argument could be made that cable news wouldn't even exist (at least in the 24 hour format) but for all the "expert" or "educated" speculation about who will be president.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 12:01 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Hell why bother to picked someone else to be president we can always just declared Trump President for life.

The Constitution limits the number of years that someone can serve as president. I think this is probably a good thing. We may shorten the time of some good leaders, but we also limit the damage of bad leaders who might be popular despite their badness.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 12:19 pm
@oralloy,
So far Trump has the support of aboutt a third of the GOP, who are somewhat less than a third of the country. Tthat's about 10% of the electorate. He's alienated women, latins,blacks, and naturlize immigrnts. He's apparntly oly appealing to the high school dropout crowd. It'll be Presidednt Saunders in 2016 and 2020 who'll be Making America Grreat Again, not thebDonald
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 12:24 pm
@MontereyJack,
It's true that the majority of Trump's supporters are the uneducated. Logistically, Trump doesn't have any chance of making it, but it's fun to watch him make a fool out of himself. When he talks, it looks like he's blowing bubbles.
snood

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 12:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It's true that the majority of Trump's supporters are the uneducated. Logistically, Trump doesn't have any chance of making it, but it's fun to watch him make a fool out of himself. When he talks, it looks like he's blowing bubbles.

I've never been able to just dismiss Trump with a laugh. It scares me, how his campaign has held onto it's popularity for more than half a year. I think this is one jerk we ignore at our peril.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 12:52 pm
@snood,
I'm all for pointing out what buffoons he and oralloy are at every opportunity.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 12:54 pm
@snood,
Trump says he's going to build a wall between the US and Mexico. It proves he's a racial bigot, and he's not going to win the votes of minorities.
snood

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 12:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Trump says he's going to build a wall between the US and Mexico. It proves he's a racial bigot, and he's not going to win the votes of minorities.

I honestly don't know what to expect anymore.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 03:52 pm
@snood,
Agree.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 04:55 pm
@fbaezer,
Quote:
Quote:
oralloy wrote:

...if there's any World left by then.

Sure, but aside from that, Donald really loves you folks down there and up north.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 07:30 pm
@blatham,
Especially "down there." How does a racial bigot earn such prominence?
blatham

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 07:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No easy answer on that one, ci. There's a lot of things swirling around in the mix.