Who do you think will be the next president of the United States?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 10:53 am
@Blickers,
You continue to remained focused on the economic impact on NYC. It was broader than that. Again, the airline and travel industries are not limited to NYC. In any case, you will have to take it up with the economists who say it did extend the recession. If I came up with that by myself I would have been pulling it out of my arse.

You should remember that more than the Twin Towers were destroyed. A number of the buildings you are describing were destroyed as well.

Regardless, and for the last time, the point I was making was that the impact of 9/11 was greater than the deaths and injuries alone.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 12:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It had more impact than just the transportation industry. Economics is a pyramid scheme whereby any money spent by those killed by the twin tower attack slows down the circulation of money. That could be thousands if not millions of dollars in the short term.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 03:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Tell that to blickers
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 03:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You can tell anybody what you wish. I'm not your go-fer.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 03:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 06:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
As well as being ignorant, you're also blind. Deaf and dumb too, I would guess.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 06:30 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
It depends on if the Republicans are able to energize the Hispanics.

They wish to deport 11 millions or so of this group and they are going somehow to energize them to vote for them????...

Illegal aliens are voting now?
BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 07:54 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Illegal aliens are voting now?

No but US citizens of Latin backgrounds are and many have close family members that the GOP wish to deport
roger

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 07:58 pm
@BillRM,
Not only that, but I suspect some percentage of Latinos in the US see the deportation issue as a racial bias against all Latinos. To some extent, I believe this to be true.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 07:59 pm
@BillRM,
Their "wish" is unrealistic. How do they gather 11 million illegals, and ship them back to their country?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 09:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cinematic references are wasted on you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 09:28 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Not only that, but I suspect some percentage of Latinos in the US see the deportation issue as a racial bias against all Latinos. To some extent, I believe this to be true.

"To some extent..." encompasses quite a lot

I married a Latina and so my kids are as well.

Living in Texas I have come to know quite a few illegal immigrants from Mexico. All of them are decent, hardworking folks.

However, they have broken our laws and their heritage is meaningless.

You may be surprised to know that there are quite a few legal immigrants from Mexico here in Texas who believe their illegal countrymen should be deported.

BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 10:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You may be surprised to know that there are quite a few legal immigrants from Mexico here in Texas who believe their illegal countrymen should be deported.

Leaving their American children and perhaps wife and other american family members without support?

You do know if Obama does carry out a massive deportation in his last year in office as had been rumor, we are going to get to enjoy federal agents breaking down doors and taking husbands and or wife out of homes that contain American children.

Somehow most of us can think of far more useful manners for federal agents can be employed then ripping families apart.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 10:33 pm
@BillRM,
Not every illegal immigrant has a spouse and children.
BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 10:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Not every illegal immigrant has a spouse and children.

That true but there should be enough of them to made the american people very uncomfortable about watching mass deportation happening.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 11:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote Finn:
Quote:
Regardless, and for the last time, the point I was making was that the impact of 9/11 was greater than the deaths and injuries alone.

Actually, your point was that 9/11 prolonged a recession for two years. And the evidence that it did is sorely lacking. Yes, the airline and travel industries were affected, but they are not that big a part of the economy to be able to prolong a recession all by themselves. For instance, the air transportation industry is only 0.45% of the GDP and it only went down 15% the next year.

Fact is, the stock market opened a week later, most of the stock and bond trading was taken up by other companies in New York, and New York really didn't get hurt that bad financially. If 9/11 was the cataclysmic economic event that so many Republicans try to claim, the situation in the financial center, New York, would have been much, much worse for it to filter out to the US as a whole.

You are engaging in a conservative myth.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 11:18 pm
@Blickers,
Now you're telling me what my point was?
Blickers

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 11:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Why not? You stated it in a previous post.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 11:26 pm
@Blickers,
As you wish.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 06:17 am
It is impossible to know, at this point, who will be the next president of the US. But relevant to this question is an observation we can make on the trajectory of the Grand Old Party...

Abraham Lincoln - "Government of the people by the people and for the people"

Donald Trump - "My colon clenches when I hear her name"