When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

blatham

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:29 am
A fine example of how they play this voter suppression game...

Quote:
"In particular, the court found that North Carolina lawmakers requested data on racial differences in voting behaviors in the state. "This data showed that African Americans disproportionately lacked the most common kind of photo ID, those issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)," the judges wrote.

So the legislators made it so that the only acceptable forms of voter identification were the ones disproportionately used by white people. "With race data in hand, the legislature amended the bill to exclude many of the alternative photo IDs used by African Americans," the judges wrote. "The bill retained only the kinds of IDs that white North Carolinians were more likely to possess."

...The data also showed that black voters were more likely to make use of early voting — particularly the first seven days out of North Carolina's 17-day voting period. So lawmakers eliminated these seven days of voting. "After receipt of this racial data, the General Assembly amended the bill to eliminate the first week of early voting, shortening the total early voting period from seventeen to ten days," the court found.

Most strikingly, the judges point to a "smoking gun" in North Carolina's justification for the law, proving discriminatory intent. The state argued in court that "counties with Sunday voting in 2014 were disproportionately black" and "disproportionately Democratic," and said it did away with Sunday voting as a result."
http://wapo.st/2ayAfTH
ehBeth

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:33 am
@blatham,
Hopefully people in Wisconsin, North Carolina and Kansas are being helped to register right now. I wish there was a way to make the responsible legislators personally pay. Literally pay.
blatham

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:46 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Hopefully people in Wisconsin, North Carolina and Kansas are being helped to register right now. I wish there was a way to make the responsible legislators personally pay. Literally pay.

Yes and yes!

And all of this tells us exactly why Acorn was targeted. These folks really are scum.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:49 am
This morning, from George Will. George freaking Will.
Quote:
To gauge the opportunism and hypocrisy that define Donald Trump’s Republican Party, consider this: Imagine the scalding rhetoric that would have boiled from the likes of Newt Gingrich, that Metternich of many green rooms, if Hillary Clinton had offhandedly undermined the collective security architecture of U.S. foreign policy since NATO was created in 1949.

..It is unclear whether any political idea leavens the avarice of Trump and some of his accomplices regarding today’s tormented and dangerous Russia. Speculation about the nature and scale of Trump’s financial entanglements with Putin and his associates is justified by Trump’s refusal to release his personal and business tax information. Obviously he is hiding something, and probably more than merely embarrassing evidence that he has vastly exaggerated his net worth and charitableness..
http://wapo.st/2ayCPZW
farmerman

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:00 am
@blatham,
heres a link to an author who gives a personal endorsement of Donald Trump . Several others including Ken Burns hve also spoken up on this "historins on Donld Trump"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ef2lMcE1QxWHFtTU9FUDZwRGM/view?pref=2&pli=1
blatham

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:23 am
@farmerman,
Thanks farmerman. I'd heard Burns on Trump but not this voice. Nice, coherent piece. One thing he said which is a central part of my thinking on Trump (or Palin or so many others of the sort) is the beginning presumption they have that they already know it all or know enough. That presumption in place is as solid a barrier to learning as there might be.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 01:27 pm
I've been looking for analyses of Trump's rhetorical techniques. Found some.

Quote:
One of Donald Trump's characteristic rhetorical devices is praeteritio ("passing over"), where the speaker says something by saying they're not going to say it.

"I promised I would not say that [Carly Fiorina] ran Hewlett-Packard into the ground, that she laid off tens of thousands of people and she got viciously fired. I said I will not say it, so I will not say it."
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=27091

And there's a lot more at the link below demonstrating how Trump uses a LOT of typical logical fallacies but goes a step further, building them on falsehoods as in these ad populum claims, "Everybody loves me. Latinos love me". http://huff.to/2akBxon

Here's another that duplicates what I'd been discussing a week or more ago, Trump's constant use of repetition http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=22691 but unfortunately, no discussion on why this might work as a technique of rhetoric/persuasion to compare with what I'd written on this specific aspect.

I ought to add that in digging about on all this, I've also bumped into pieces written on how to use Trump's techniques in sales. Don't that just figure.
cicerone imposter

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 01:35 pm
@blatham,
I find the following to be more revealing about Trump:
http://reason.com/blog/2016/07/29/donald-trumps-week-of-lies-outrages-brok
blatham

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 03:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Gotcha. Thanks. My interest in the rhetorical aspects might not be shared very broadly. I'm a lonely man.
Lash

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 04:07 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
This cycle, compared with the DNC? Yes. Angels.

They have lost donors, power, and credibility. Even if they WANTED to rain hell, currently cannot.

The Clintons, conversely, are milking the cashcow they've been constructing for decades. They control a hardy clutch of journalists, banksters, and hold the purse strings to a couple of billion via the money laundering scheme 'Foundation.' Recent proof of all of this has been proven by Wikileaks and the response has proven that they actually are above the law.

Half the GOP are voting for the democrat. They aren't guilty of anything other than not producing a decent candidate.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 04:14 pm
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 04:22 pm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 04:33 pm
@blatham,
from CBC Day 6 today

short podcast re Trump / Putin

Quote:
"Even as recently as 2013, he expressed interest and excitement about potentially doing a project there, working with a well-known businessman in Russia," says Bump.

"His son, for example, said that Russia was a big customer of theirs. Russians, a lot of them were buying properties that were Trump properties in 2008. He said it was a significant part of their business."

Trump was in Russia in 2013 when the Miss Universe pageant, which he owned at the time, was hosted in Moscow and says he met then with several oligarchs.

"Donald Trump understandably got a cut of the money that was raised by businessmen to bring the event to Moscow." says Bump. "It was one of the few known instances in which Donald Trump actually made money directly from Russians in that regard."

follow Rosemary (Rosie) Barton of the CBC on twitter. she's often got news very very much in advance of others

Follow Rosemary Barton on Twitter @rosiebarton

http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/power-politics.html

---------------------------

-
Listened to the Globalist from Monocle overnight.
https://monocle.com/radio/shows/the-globalist/

The panel there dissected (among other topics) Trump's lengthy history with Putin. European media is not as delicate as that in the United States.
reasoning logic

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 04:39 pm
0 Replies

snood

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 05:02 pm
Just had a conversation with a coworker that went something like this.Longish, but I tried to re-create it accurately...

Me: Did you see Trump's response to that Muslim soldier's father's question "What have you sacrificed?"
Him: No, what did he say?
Me: He said "I've sacrificed. I've built great structures and created thousands of jobs." That guy (Trump) doesn't have a clue!
Him: Well, he's not a very personable person, but he's a great business man.
Me: I don't think he's a good person.
Him: I don't trust Hillary either.
Me: I know, I have my problems with her, too. But I think she can be held accountable.

Him:It's all that Benghazi stuff.
Me: What do you think she did?
Him: The same as Petraeus, and Petraeus got relieved of his command.
Me: Petraeus was intentionally giving his mistress classified material. The FBI says Hillary was very careless, but there was no finding that she did anything intentionally wrong. Big difference.
Him: Well, she did something.
Me: What do you think she did wrong?
Him: With all those multiple servers she had...?
Me: Two servers. A government one, and a personal one. No finding of intentional wrongdoing.
Him: Yeah, but still...she should have answered the emails from Benghazi and helped those men.

I realized then I was talking to someone who had been successfully brainwashed. He was convinced she had been somehow responsible for the deaths of the ambassador and 3 others in Benghazi. Once they have been convinced by Faux or Rush or the rest of the echo chamber that Hillary is guilty of a crime, they will stand by it.

And so it goes...
giujohn

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 05:32 pm
Hillary Clinton violated federal law that's a fact. The law does not require intent that's a fact. Lois Lerner violated the law that's a fact. The fact that neither of these people were prosecuted does not take away from the facts... That they both violated the law.
Hillary lied to the American public and to the relatives of the victims of Benghazi that's a fact. So Hillary is a liar. These facts cannot be disputed. Just because somebody is not charged with a crime doesn't mean that they didn't commit the crime. All it means is they were given political cover by not being charged.
Blickers

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:54 pm
@giujohn,
Yet the people in charge of the multiple investigations disagree with you, so go argue with them. Many different investigations for each incident, and they completely disagree with you. What is plainly going on is that you cannot be convinced, you just want to make yourself an automaton who posts Republican crap whether it's true or not.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:58 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
What is silly is your statement, oralloy. Lack of evidence is not evidence. Never has been. Never will be.

There is no evidence the server was hacked. The only means there is no evidence. No credible hacker has come forward with evidence they hacked her server though some have made claims.

No, what is silly is the way the Left tries to use the fact that Hillary's security was so lax that the hackers were able to leave no trace, as an argument that there were no hackers.

It is one of a series of ludicrous positions the Left has come out with recently, which make clear their desperation. The hysteria when Mr. Trump joked about Russian email hacking was another such ludicrous response from the Left.
Builder

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 07:02 pm
@snood,
Quote:
He was convinced she had been somehow responsible for the deaths of the ambassador and 3 others in Benghazi.

When she said herself that "we" were responsible for the street murder of Colonel Qadaffi, she admitted that the "rebel forces" were under US command. It doesn't take much nouse to put two and two together. Why is it taking you so long, snood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgcd1ghag5Y
reasoning logic

Sat 30 Jul, 2016 07:10 pm
@Builder,
Snood is antisocial and could not care less about repercussions.

0 Replies