ADAM'S RIB

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 05:44 am
I truly do not understand why so many men are terrified of women, vilify them all the time, beat, rape and murder them. What are they afraid of? When one considers just how dangerous society is for women, i am amazed at the ordinary courage they display on a daily basis--just to go out of the house into public may well be taking their lives in their hands.

I like 'em . . . we need more of them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 21,776 • Replies: 206

FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 05:50 am
@Setanta,
I don't think I've ever read a thread ever, that I admired more than this one.

From a young age, I learnt to be frightened, yet I wasn't. Not that, that make sense. Rather, the "take" and "you will not" be it attempted rape, sending a woman overseas without her will for rape, sex, which a situation could have occurred, as it was promoted as " hostess" I was a Model at that time, or as you state on a daily basis, we are nothing...

The strong find a way of fighting against it, when I was 18, I had a situation whereby I was simply at a nightclub, dancing... When I exited a toilet, I was dragged outside, beaten, choked, pushed into a car, saw stars.

I saw what they state that 60 seconds of life flash before me, well. Stuff you 6ft.. I grabbed the corner of the window of the back seat of the car and I would not let go. A taxi driver saw me and didn't move. I was the lucky one, I got away. Only in Court he got my address. As it turned out he was a Pimp.

Go me, I got away, like em, we needed more of me.

It didn't make me weaker or fearful. It made me stronger and wary.

I think that women with some form of "don't" will always survive.

For me, I'm normal Smile But it could have affected me for life as I am sure it would for a lot of women in that position.

Things I have read, has broken my heart, again I am the lucky one....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 07:08 am
You seem 'em everywhere . . . women, that is . . . why i'll bet they must be half the population. Once again, we need more of 'em, even if they do scare the little boys.
FBM

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 07:30 am
@Setanta,
In total agreement about the wimmens. Also, "Adam's Ribs" would be a great name for a restaurant. I would locate it in Memphis.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 08:05 am
@FBM,
I mean, when you look at how painful it has been to let the first woman see the light of this world (pictures taken from contemporary magazines of that time) ...
http://i59.tinypic.com/2rqf6ue.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/11t5u2x.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/2k0v14.jpg
... some men just suffer under a genetic post-traumatic femina-phobia.
FBM

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 08:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Those would definitely go up on the walls of my restaurant...
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 08:25 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I truly do not understand why so many men are terrified of women, vilify them all the time, beat, rape and murder them. What are they afraid of?

The fear of knowing they need woman, and that women, left to their own devices, understand this.

That is why some men need to terrify, beat and shame women into believing they themselves are worthless.

One of the signs of their success is that women now shame each other.

0 Replies

timur

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 08:43 am
Fortunately, yes, there's a lot of strong women, they aren't fearful of the crappy beating, raping males.

The good thing also, is that the new generations of women are learning how powerful they are.

I like this excerpt of an Italian song:

Se l'uomo in gruppo è più cattivo
Quando è solo ha più paura.

(If the man in group is more evil
When alone he's more afraid.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 12:34 pm
Some of my best friends are women. I even married one.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 12:50 pm
@Setanta,
11,000 men are murdered each year.
3,500 women are murdered.

I get that this is supposed to be a parody thread, but it is stretching the facts a little too much even for that.

Saying that society is dangerous for women is taking the "delicate sex" myth a little too far IMHO.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 01:24 pm
This thread, and the responses are a perfect example of how ideology trumps facts.

The fact is the men are more than twice as likely to be murdered then women, and significantly more likely to be a victim of violent crime in general. A quick search confirms that men are more likely than women to be victims in every category of violent crime except for sexual assault.

I know that stating facts in a ideological thread is bad form...

0 Replies

timur

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 01:34 pm
Having a bad divorce changes the perception of women, for sure.

It doesn't change that, on average, women are badly treated in this society.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 01:40 pm
The fact that men are more violent than women and kill a lot of men is somehow supposed to trump the fact that women are subject to violence and threats of violence all the time? How does one equate with the other? Is it supposed to make it okay to beat up women, to even the score?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 01:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
My objection is to the way that ideology overrules fact. The ideological narrative is that society treats women worse than it treat men. This may be true, or not (depending on how you figure it).

The problem with an ideological narrative is that any facts that contradict the narrative are ignored or discounted.

The premise of this thread is that "society is dangerous for women". This is demonstrably untrue (at least compared to the danger of violent crime to men).

I don't know why the gender or race of the perpetrator matters when we are talking about the victims of violence. The violence is still real. It is not ok to beat up either women or men.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 01:57 pm
What's demonstrably true is that men are the most violent. Naturally they kill lots of other men, because men are the most violent and other violent men get in the way. That does not soften the way women are systematically abused.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 02:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
What's demonstrably true is that men are the most violent. Naturally they kill lots of other men, because men are the most violent and other violent men get in the way.

Hmmmm.... when people make the same argument about racial differences in violence, I find it quite offensive. I expect you would too. Would you make the same argument about racial differences in violence?

Let's see how it sounds.

Quote:
What's demonstrably true is that Blacks are the most violent. Naturally they kill lots of other Blacks, because Blacks are the most violent and other violent Blacks get in the way.

That sounds pretty bad.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 02:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
That does not soften the way women are systematically abused.

This is an ideological statement. It may be true or not... depending on how you measure it. Of course women are the victim of sexual violence at greater numbers than men. And women are more likely to be victims of domestic violence (although the difference here is about 60%-40%... not nearly as great as you probably think). But on the other side, men are more likely to be the victim of murder... and are more likely to be imprisoned for longer sentences than women who commit the same crimes.

Again the problem is that once you have the ideological truth... that women are "systematically abused"... you stop looking at the facts and sometimes complicated reality we live in.

You are grabbing onto any fact that matches your narrative, and ignoring or discounting any fact that contradicts it or calls it into question.

Ideological purity is a dangerous thing.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 02:21 pm
@maxdancona,
It may be ideological to you, but I am certain the women caught in the net view it as otherwise.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 02:23 pm

Hmmmm.... when people make the same argument about racial differences in violence, I find it quite offensive. I expect you would too. Would you make the same argument about racial differences in violence?

Let's see how it sounds.

Quote:

What's demonstrably true is that Blacks are the most violent. Naturally they kill lots of other Blacks, because Blacks are the most violent and other violent Blacks get in the way.

That sounds pretty bad.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would sound even badder were it relevant to the discussion, or even apt in any other way.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 02:44 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Ideological purity is a dangerous thing.

You got that right. There's a rape epidemic going on in America, but not on campus... Rather, in prisons. And nobody cares apparently, not just because a lot of victims are males (many female inmates also get rapped), but also perhaps because of class difference, or rather indifference to the ills of the poor, blacks, etc. That bunch of losers deserve what they get, right?

Why Americans Don't Care About Prison Rape
And what happens when the problem escapes from behind bars.
Elizabeth Stoker Bruenig March 2, 2015

[...] We have become a culture that tolerates and potentially lauds the rape and sexual exploitation of hundreds of thousands of people every year, many of them minors, mothers, mentally ill. Why?

http://www.thenation.com/article/199361/why-americans-dont-care-about-prison-rape

See also:
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/oct/24/shame-our-prisons-new-evidence/

[...] The BJS has just released a third edition of its National Inmate Survey (NIS), which covers prisons and jails, and a second edition of its National Survey of Youth in Custody (NSYC). These studies confirm some of the most important findings from earlier surveys—among others, the still poorly understood fact that an extraordinary number of female inmates and guards commit sexual violence. They also reveal new aspects of a variety of problems, including (1) the appalling (though, from state to state, dramatically uneven) prevalence of sexual misconduct by staff members in juvenile detention facilities; (2) the enormous and disproportionate number of mentally ill inmates who are abused sexually; and (3) the frequent occurrence of sexual assault in military detention facilities.