15 PHD level scientists say evolution is a bunch of bullshit

rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 01:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Im going up to the Pa gas fields next week to see some capping, and I was going to first visit a friend in Patterson nd then head west by rt6 > So Im already on the Joisey Toinpike. I may run over to the horn to see whats there.

Here's a good site with info on the Big Brook (Ramanessin Brook) area: http://www.fossilguy.com/sites/bbrook

The images on this site bring back a lot of memories for me. It looks just like it did 50 years ago when a bunch of neighborhood kids wandered through the creek with sticks, poking at the sand bars and finding strange things. At the time we didn't know anyone else even knew about this place. To us it was a hidden world which only kids knew about.

After looking at the images of fossils on the site above, it occurs to me that we probably threw away a treasure trove of other things which we couldn't identify. We (I) were focused on Sharks Teeth because that was all we could identify. But I distinctly remember finding Mososaur teeth and tossing them, along with some shark vertebrae and ammonites fossils.

At one point in my past I had accumulated a nearly 3lbs bag of sharks teeth, but somewhere along the line I lost it. How I wish I had it back now. It was a huge collection accumulated over many young years.

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 03:03 pm
@rosborne979,
everyone collects at some time in ther lives. I started in minerals and fossils and , after grad school dumped most of it to museums and started collecting blanket chests and arts n crafts pottery.
Now, as Ive slowed up in the field, Im back collecting trilobites from the Devonian and paleo -Indian artifcts.

Thanks for the info but, if I go up there, itll be in June and for the belemnites (because they can be made into jewelry).
We have sharks teeth all over the Chesapeake Bay and Western Delaware bay but from Miocene onwards. I have 2 Miocene age Megaladon teeth that are bigger than my hand. Im going uo to see afriend and have dinner and then Ill trip over to the Horn and then to work as we abandon the NE gas fields.
FBM

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 07:45 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

how so ?

Just the fact that somebody here knew/knows somebody like Penzias and/or Wilson.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 08:00 pm
@farmerman,
I envy the Megalodon teeth you found. You mentioned the Chesapeake Bay once before (several years ago) as a place to find those teeth and one of these days I hope to get a chance to explore up there and see if I can find some.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 08:08 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
Just the fact that somebody here knew/knows somebody like Penzias and/or Wilson.

Bear in mind that to me he was just "Mr. Wilson", my friend's Dad. And in the 1960's I don't think even they knew what they had discovered yet. It wasn't until over a decade later when they won the Nobel prize. Still, I must admit, it's fun to have family friends with such a prestigious background, particularly in this line of work, which I find so fascinating.
FBM

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 08:12 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

FBM wrote:

Bear in mind that to me he was just "Mr. Wilson", my friend's Dad. And in the 1960's I don't think even they knew what they had discovered yet. It wasn't until over a decade later when they won the Nobel prize. Still, I must admit, it's fun to have family friends with such a prestigious background, particularly in this line of work, which I find so fascinating.

For some reason, I'm imagining "Mr. Wilson" dealing with Dennis the Menace now.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 08:26 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

everyone collects at some time in their lives.

I collected dirt as a lad. Really. I had a collection of soil put into pill bottles which were mounted in a rack in my bedroom. I think I had about 40 samples from different states and countries. My last one was from Vietnam in 1968.
The typical response from viewers was "Um...that is, er, impressive. Were you taking that many medications?"
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 08:29 pm
The "Family Tree" of birds: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/11/us-science-birds-idUSKBN0JP27T20141211

Lots of interesting stuff in this short article...
Quote:
The large flightless birds like the ostrich were confirmed as the family tree's oldest branch. The scientists said the chicken genome is probably the closest of any species to the ancestor of birds.

Crocodiles were found to be birds' closest living relatives, with a common ancestor 240 million years ago.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 10:01 pm
@rosborne979,
The horn used to be clearly visible as one drove by the complex on Telegraph Hill road. I remember when they took it down off of it's original mount, though I am not sure when this was. I Google mapped the site and found the original mount, and I also found the horn where they moved it too behind the building. Where it is now, it is no longer visible to the public, which is sad. There is a movement to have it donated or bought and shipped to the Smithsonian, but Lucent refuses to give it up. You can see the first mount in the photo, which is in front of the building, along with the storage location on a concrete slab behind the building.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3910935,-74.18558,253m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 10:21 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

The "Family Tree" of birds: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/11/us-science-birds-idUSKBN0JP27T20141211

Lots of interesting stuff in this short article...
Quote:
The large flightless birds like the ostrich were confirmed as the family tree's oldest branch. The scientists said the chicken genome is probably the closest of any species to the ancestor of birds.

Crocodiles were found to be birds' closest living relatives, with a common ancestor 240 million years ago.

I found another take on that, ros: http://www.livescience.com/49098-new-bird-family-tree.html?adbid=10152425421606761&adbpl=fb&adbpr=30478646760&cmpid=514627_20141212_37149687

Quote:
Birds Evolved in 'Big Bang,' New Family Tree Reveals
by Tanya Lewis, Staff Writer | December 11, 2014 02:00pm ET

...The new findings show that Neoaves underwent a "Big Bang" of evolution, with many new species appearing within just a few million years of the time that most dinosaurs went extinct about 66 million years ago. Previous work had suggested a more gradual evolution of this group.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 10:23 pm
@FBM,
Everything is born of material in the Big Bang, this is common knowledge, at least if you believe in the theory.....
0 Replies