Name that Radio/tv show

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 11:53 pm
J Riley Farnsworth was the Riley played by Stander. The show was revamped and Chester was played by Bendix. Jackie Gleason starred in the original first episodes for television. Boy was I screwed up.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 07:53 am
The history of that show appears to be complicated. So do I win or should you ask a different question?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 08:41 am
You won. Heck, you even straightened me out on my own question.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 01:12 am
An adolescent, his beatnik friend, the girl whom he is pursuing, and the girl who is pursuing him. Sometimes the protagonist talks directly to the audience and explains the plot. His father likes to reminisce about his involvement in World War 2.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 05:52 am
The many Loves of Dobie Gillis - Dwayne Hickman, Tuesday Weld, Bob Denver and I forgot the other name.
I saw Hickman and Denver in a Corpus Christi "Buccanneer Days" parade one year. I liked Bob Denver as Maynard, but kept saying he would never merit another acting job after this.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 06:41 am
I gotta kill that boy - I just gotta.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 07:48 am
Great show, great answer. Over to you.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:07 am
Side note on "Dobie Gillis: His friend Maynard G. Krebs (Bob Denver of Gilligan's Island)'s middle initial G stood for Walter.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 12:20 pm
Equus wrote:
Side note on "Dobie Gillis: His friend Maynard G. Krebs (Bob Denver of Gilligan's Island)'s middle initial G stood for Walter.

I remember that. I also liked it when he would come into the Gillis' store and say, "Hey Mr. G, Mrs. G, Dobe G. Dobe G. - that's you, good buddy."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 05:32 pm
This woman was portrayed by a man on radio, first on Fibber McGee and Molly, then her own show. She was portrayed by two different actresses on television. The show was still popular, but ended when the second actress decided to quit.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:55 pm
"Beulah"

I remember watching it, but I can't remember a thing about it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 04:48 am
She was a maid who always had to bail out the screw-up family she worked for. Marlin Hurt, a white male, played her on the radio. Then Ethyl Waters on tv, followed by Louise Beavers, who got the role when Hattie McDaniels was unable to perform.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:57 am
This is a little obscure, because the show only lasted a few seasons. It was about a high powered criminal defense attorney in Houston. The starring actor was already well known as the husband on a TV sitcom. He died young.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:02 am
I know a couple of sitcom dads that died young. I don't watch many of the type of shows you described. Maybe somebody else knows it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:23 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I know a couple of sitcom dads that died young. I don't watch many of the type of shows you described. Maybe somebody else knows it.

It's not a sitcom. It's about a defense attorney. But the star is best known as the husband on a sitcom, and the star died young.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 04:39 pm
Yes, I understood that. I just haven't watched that many series in which the character was an attorney.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:47 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Yes, I understood that. I just haven't watched that many series in which the character was an attorney.

My recollection is that this was the 1960s.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 02:42 pm
Does anybody remember what the five special days were on the original Mickey Mouse Club? Each day had a special theme. I don't know the answer. I think one was "talent roundup day" and one was "anything-can-happen day".

I used to love that big chest of drawers that would open up each episode to reveal the day's cartoon.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 02:53 pm
1. This show was about a high powered criminal defense attorney in Houston.
2. The starring actor was already well known as the husband on a very popular TV sitcom about a family.
3. The show was in the late 60s.
4. The real star of his previous sitcom had been the wife.
5. The star died relatively young.
6. The show only lasted a few seasons.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 03:10 pm
Judd For the Defense
0 Replies