Name that Radio/tv show

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 05:00 pm
Exactly right.

I thought that was a great show, but it didn't last long.

So sad about Carl Betz dying so young.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 05:04 pm
Which show had characters Michael Anthony and never seen John Beresford Tipton?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 05:09 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Which show had characters Michael Anthony and never seen John Beresford Tipton?

Sorry, Edgar, but I could answer this one in my sleep. "The Millionaire." It was a great show and they ought to bring it back. The fellow who played the secretary also did the voice of the never seen millionaire Tipton. From memory:

"Hello, my name is Michael Anthony. For many years I was executive secretary to the late, fabulously wealthy, John Beresford Tipton, who pursued the strange hobby of giving away anonymously one million dollars to persons he had never even met."

and....

"Our next millionaire, Mike."

Of course, today it would be more like 10 million.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 06:44 pm
Well, I was preoccupied, but wanted to keep the thread moving.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 05:26 am
It's funny. For years, I adhered to what I named the "John Beresford Tipton" rule. If you remember, the recipient of the money could not tell anybody but his/her spouse, or the money would be taken back.

I thought that it was a good rule. So, when I heard any good gossip, of which I had been sworn to secrecy, and was DYING to talk about it, I would tell only my husband. He is one of the most closed mouthed persons that I have ever known, so it all worked out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 05:46 am
I don't know a single good secret keeper.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:27 am
A man out driving down a lonely country road late at night sees people who look human and are dressed normally disembarking from a large flying saucer. The aliens have infiltrated society and plan to rule the Earth. The show has him trying in vain to warn a disbelieving populace that they're here. I believe this was the 1960s.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:46 am
Was this an episode of "The Twilight Zone"?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:48 am
No, Phoenix. This is a description of an entire show.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 09:53 am
The Invaders. In color!

The aliens disintegrated when killed, so there was never any proof. I seem to remember that they could identified because they were missing a finger?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:30 am
Equus wrote:
The Invaders. In color!

The aliens disintegrated when killed, so there was never any proof. I seem to remember that they could identified because they were missing a finger?

Yes.

They could identified because the transformation process which made them look like us had a defect which caused the little finger to be present but non-functional. They couldn't bend the joint.

Also, when, they wanted to kill you, they would conceal a disk in their palm, which when pressed against your neck would induce a cerebral hemorrhage which looked natural.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 05:23 pm
Can you recite the opening lines used for the intro of the (George Reeves) Superman TV show?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 05:52 pm
Once I get past "It's Superman," I start getting fouled up.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 06:55 pm
"Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerfull than a locomotive. Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. (whoosh) Look - up in the sky, it's a bird,... it's a plane,... it's...

SUPERMAN!

Yes Superman, strange visitor from another planet, who came to earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. Superman, who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel in his bare hands, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way! "

Geez, it just gets your blood pumping, doesn't it?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 07:22 pm
Now can ya do the Lone Ranger opening monolog?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:24 am
Quote:
"A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust and a hearty "Hi Yo Silver!" The Lone Ranger."

What did Tonto call "The Lone Ranger"? Anbody know what it means?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:29 am
kemo sabe - trusted scout is what I read.

A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust and a hearty Hi-yo Silver. The Lone Ranger. With his faithful Indian companion Tonto, the daring and resourceful masked rider of the plains led the fight for law and order in the early western United States. Nowhere in the pages of history can one find a greater champion of justice. Return with us now to those early days of history. From ot of the pass comes the thundering hoofbeats of the great horse Silver. The Lone Ranger rides again. "Come on Silver . let's go big fellow. Hi-yo Silver away."
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:31 am
I have also seen it written as, "Que no sabe"...He who knows nothing. Someone in the writing department had a good sense of humor! Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:35 am
Jack Kirkwood did sketches about the solo stranger. Pronto called him Kemo slobber. "Know what you do when you say that, kemo slobber? Slobber."
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:40 am
Laughing
Hey, look what I just found:

The name "Tonto" was picked by Fran Striker from a Zane Grey title "Stranger From the Tonto" and means "wild one."

"Kemo Sabe" (originally spelled Kee-mo Sah-bee) was the name of a boy's summer camp in Michigan owned by an uncle of the shows director, James Jewell.

If counted, approximately 22,000 "bad men" have been brought to justice using 12,684 silver bullets. Not one of them were killed only "maimed as painlessly as possible."

His mask was made of cloth cut from his dead brother's shirt.

Silver bullets were used because they were easy to remember as identification but also to remind us of how expensive human life was -- never waste one wasting the other.

Although Tonto did not always have his own horse, when he did, the name of the horse was Scout.

Dan Reid, The Lone Ranger's nephew, rode a horse named Victor, sired from Silver.

Dan Reid was the father of Britt Reid, who later became "The Green Hornet."

Officially, Tonto was Potawatamie, a tribe based in Michigan, the only Indian name familiar to the Detroit-based creators, even though the storyline was set in Texas.

http://www.beckett.com/celebriducks/lone_ranger/index.asp

(See you,maybe, after I've had my Wheaties.)
0 Replies