Whats One Thing You Hated About School?

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 04:53 pm
TIME FOR SCHOOL!!

I hate how early I have to wake up. I have to be at the bus stop by 7:00 am so I have to wake up at about 6:00 am so I can take my shower and get ready.

I also hate some of my classes. I have AP American History 1st period and AP Algebra II fourth. Soooo boring. Sooo many lectures and notes and dumb equations to solve. School just started and I'm already marking the days til our next vacation. I think we have Thanksgiving break next? Anyway, School sucks.

What didnt you like about it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 15,844 • Replies: 281

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 04:54 pm
@GracieGirl,
Summer vacation was always too long. I did 't like being out of school for two months at a time.
sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 04:54 pm
@GracieGirl,
Depends on which part.

I liked almost all of elementary school, had mixed feelings about middle school, and high school was way more dislike than like.

But waking up early was always sucky, yes.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 04:58 pm
@sozobe,
I really hated the acoustics in the upper quadrangle. I still have nightmares about it to this day.
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:01 pm
@ehBeth,
WHAT?! No way! Summer vacation should be longer! We spend, like, 8 months in school and we only get two off.

You must've really liked school huh? Your school must've been funner than mine is. All we do is work, work, work and we get detention for every little thing. Like, if you talk in class, they'll give you a referral and say you were causing a 'disturbance'. I get grounded the most during school time. When school's out Im hardly ever in trouble
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:02 pm
@sozobe,
Yea. I loved elementary school too and middle school was a little tough but it was okay. High School sucks most of the time!
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:06 pm
@GracieGirl,
I loved school.

I don't think it was fun, but I always liked reading and studying and researching. I still do, 35 years after I left high school. I don't think I'll ever stop studying.

Waking up early wasn't easy then, but I didn't consider it part of going to school. Getting up early is just part of life every day for me.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:16 pm
@GracieGirl,
That the school year ended too swiftly and I couldn't give more snap quizzes. Seeing the look of terror when several students aren't prepared can make any teacher happy.

Yeah, I'd have to say the school year ending too early is what I hated most about school for more than 2 decades.

That and the frog fights.

Looking back at my actual attending school days:

By the time I reached high school, I didn't mind going, it was almost fun.

Except for math...

Senior year I had a math class at 7:30 a.m. in what had to be the coldest snowiest winter ever. Winter arrived early, around Halloween and wouldn't let up. I lived 3/4 of a mile from the school and had to walk there, it was pretty bad that first half. Then the final semester arrived, graduation was in sight. I had comedy classes: Electronics, Retail Management and Consumer Education, along with English. Three afternoons each week, I went with a pretty red haired girl to the local college where we took English and Psych courses.

So, I guess I didn't like math, other than that it was pretty much okay.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:22 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

Summer vacation should be longer!
We spend, like, 8 months in school and we only get two off.

Has the year been shortened when I wasn't looking? Didn't there used to be 12 months?

I also believe summer vacations should be shortened to 3 or 4 weeks (not including the week off at Christmas and the Easter break and the other holidays...you know, kids get a lot of time off).
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:29 pm
Chem lectures at eight in the morning at university. I was mixed able in chem, smart, and dumb-as-a-post. Dumb as a post won as I went further into the subject. (That's the short version; I still am mildly interested in chemistry.)

Gracie, you keep saying how things bore you, or are dumb. I hope you jump out of that into why you think something is boring or dumb - learn to elaborate your gripe and you can engage or bore others!

I basically liked school, but I was lucky, in that..

well, theorizing: school gave me new things to think about. I still like new things to think about, or new takes on things.
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:33 pm
@Sturgis,
Oh! TEN MONTHS IN SCHOOL! That's even longer than I thought! Jeez! That's basically the whole freaking year! NOOOOO! Why do you guys want to keep us in school longer?! Let us have some fun! We spend our whole lives in school! I've been in school for 9 years! You know how long that is? Its almost a decade, plus I gotta go to college and Im not even finish High school yet so thats even more years! Ugh! It never ends...

Teachers sure know how to suck the fun out of everything. Their like parental vampires.
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:36 pm
@ossobuco,
I dont think EVErything is boring. I like a lot of stuff. When Im bored I just complain
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:44 pm
@GracieGirl,
High school?

Oh God, the people! High school students can be the meanest, most impossible people in the world. Narrow minded, judgmental, self-involved, rude and mouthy. To anyone and everyone. Frequently behind your back.

By the time they're in college, they start to mellow out. By the time they graduate from college, they're almost fit for polite society.

I teach high school students, and I know a lot of great kids. I am lucky because I teach an elective. Only the people who want to take my class have to be there, and I can request that certain students not be allowed in my class. I often feel sorry for those who teach required classes and have to put up with the mean ones. I see the chaos and damage they cause all the time.

JTT

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:47 pm
@GracieGirl,
That teachers seemed hell bent on making school subjects boring and unmeaningful.

As Einsten said: “The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.”
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:59 pm
I enjoyed high school. I had teachers who encouraged debates and involvement in local and national issues. There was no shortage of them at that time and I was active with nearly all of them: civil rights, ecology and the first Earth Day, the draft, the Vietnam war, the women's movement and the Equal Rights Amendment, rock and roll, open campus, changing school dress standards, etc.

I was a co-editor of the school newspaper and yearbook and took a lot of elective courses related to that such as photography, journalism and graphic arts.

One thing I hated about school? Homecoming week and the school elections. They were nothing but token popularity contests.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 06:02 pm
@GracieGirl,
Many of my friends used to feel the same way about the teachers in our school. Forty years later, they're on the school's Facebook page reminiscing about their favorite teachers and what they liked most about them. The ones that were disliked the most at the time are now the most beloved and most talked about because of how much they cared and how tough they were.
Foofie

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 06:03 pm
What I seem to be finding on the internet is that the latest research into who has the best chance to not get dementia, and Alzheimer's, in their later years are those with the earliest learning and intelligence, or something like that. It is referred to as "cognitive reserve," meaning our brain has so many additional neuron connections from early, and continued, learning that any amyloid plaques (aka, Alzheimer's) does not eliminate our ability to function into late old age. Something to think about when we are young and eager to just have fun.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 06:20 pm
@Eva,
To quote various people quoting various people,

"My dear, the noise, and the people!"

I first heard it in the Brit tv series, Glittering Prizes, written by Frederic Raphael, a favorite writer of mine. But that was only a quote by a character (Tom Conti's).
Here's a link I just found -
http://mrgnomeisblogging.blogspot.com/2008/07/my-dear-noise-people.html
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 06:24 pm
Biology lab.
Gack.
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 06:53 pm
@Eva,
Yea High School sucks! Especially when your 2 years younger than kids who 'think' they're adults. its really annoying and Im always getting picked on by someone.

Your one of the cool teachers, huh? All my teachers this year are either boring or mean. My Algebra teacher is soo monotone that everytime he talks he makes me wanna take a nap and my PE coach gave me detention on the first day for not wanting to perticipate and not paying attention.!