Whats One Thing You Hated About School?

JTT

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 06:56 pm
@GracieGirl,
What the hell are you doing in school in the middle of August, Gracie?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 06:58 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Summer vacation was always too long. I did 't like being out of school for two months at a time.

Boo!

~
The one thing I hated most about school (noncollege) were bullies. Math homework came a close second.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:05 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

High school?

Oh God, the people! High school students can be the meanest, most impossible people in the world. Narrow minded, judgmental, self-involved, rude and mouthy. To anyone and everyone.

Yep both at Middle and high school. I concur. There were a lot of mean spirited individuals at those levels. Thankfully I hadn't seen the same behavior at the college level.

College is when school got to be fun for the most part.

Quote:
Frequently behind your back.

You were lucky if this was the case. Passive aggressive harassment is more tolerable then active (?) aggressive bullying.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:06 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Biology lab.
Gack.

Gack indeed!
Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:06 pm
@George,
George wrote:
Biology lab.
Gack.

tsarstepan wrote:
Gack indeed!

Gack of course meaning "Exciting, thrilling, fun!"

To the microscopes!
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:07 pm
@Butrflynet,
I dont think I'd ever like my teachers. Even after 40 years. I'd probably forget them all. I have some favorites like my drama teacher last year Mrs. Aldridge or Mr. Dennis, he was a substitute and he was pretty old, and you know how some old people are really mean? Mr. Dennis wasnt. He was probably the nicest teacher I've ever had. I had a crush on Mr. Calhoun last year until he gave me lunch detention for passing notes, he was one of the young cool teachers (I thought) . Plus, I think he was married. Its funny how the nice teachers turn on you. Razz
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:08 pm
@Foofie,
Sure, but there's no chance of me getting Alzheimers now....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:16 pm
It's tough for me to tease out what was standard middle school/ high school unpleasantness and what was directly related to losing my hearing. (Started losing it the summer between 7th and 8th grade.) I loved math until I couldn't hear what the teacher was saying as he drew on the blackboard with his back turned, for example. And then the social stuff was huge (not being able to easily understand my friends, then hardly being able to understand them at all).

I definitely liked college better than high school but that's still tough to tease apart because in college I had actual services (like notetakers) that didn't work out in high school. I always liked college but when I learned ASL (and so could have ASL interpreters, plus starting to be able to sign to communicate), my enjoyment went up several notches.
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:17 pm
@JTT,
I live in California. We started school today. When do you start where you're at?
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ditto tsarstepan! I agree! Mr. Green
JTT

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:19 pm
@GracieGirl,
I actually don't have a clue when kids start school around here. I've been out of that scene for a long time. When do you get out for the summer, Gracie?
Eva

@GracieGirl,
Well, of course I like to think I'm one of the cool teachers! Laughing I teach the middle and high school newspaper classes. Those are fun classes because the students make the decisions.* I'm just there to show them how to do it and make them look good! (We laugh a lot, and we win lots of awards, too.)

*which explains why I don't want the mean kids or the drama queens...they'd put stuff in the paper that would get us shut down in a heartbeat.
Sturgis

@GracieGirl,
High school is much better when you spend time prepping the science labs.
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:21 pm
@sozobe,
Aww! Yea, that sounds tough! Sad
My dad isnt deaf but he lost some hearing in his ears after a scuba incident.
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:24 pm
@JTT,
May 25, I think. Somewhere around that.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:24 pm
@GracieGirl,
Re: your Algebra teacher...we have one of those who teaches English. He puts me to sleep, too! But his students learn to love him because he is also a local musician, has 3 doctorates in subjects other than English, and requires them to read books like "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Moral of the story? Get to know your teachers. Many of them are not nearly as boring as they look!!!

Re: your PE teacher...and then again, some of them are. Drunk
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:26 pm
@Eva,
HaHa! Yea, you seem cool! Mr. Green I've never been part of the school newspaper but It sounds like it could be fun. Im in the yearbook committee though! (kinda)
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:27 pm
@Eva,
HAHAHAHA!!!! Mr. Green Laughing Laughing Mr. Green
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:52 pm
@GracieGirl,
Gracie Girl wrote:
Whats One Thing You Hated About School?

Group dynamics within the class. Let's just say that I wasn't popular with most of the other students, and most of the other students weren't popular with me. Every once in a while, someone on A2K will say that the social interaction is one advantage schools have over home schooling. I always greet that statement with a cynical smirk into the monitor. (Things got much better in 12th and 13th grade (Germans go to school for 13 years), when classes were dissolved and we just took courses.)
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 08:07 pm
@Thomas,
13 years! Wow. Im sorry. That sounds like a nightmare! Surprised Shocked

You're German? Cool! Do most German people know English too?