Whats One Thing You Hated About School?

sozobe

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 05:01 pm
@izzythepush,
Ninth and Hennepin... that's downtown Minneapolis (where I grew up). This song is new to me.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 05:19 pm
@sozobe,
Thank you, I wasn't sure whether or not it was an actual place or just something Tom Waits made up. Tom Waits CDs are the only ones that I wear out. I'm on my second copy of Rain Dogs, and the last track is already starting to go.
sozobe

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 05:31 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm picturing it near the Greyhound bus station but I'm not sure about that.

Oh yeah, it's a block away. Not bad for being gone so long.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=greyhound&ll=44.976229,-93.27899&spn=0.005897,0.00765&sll=44.976411,-93.276951&sspn=0.006087,0.00765&near=Hennepin+Ave+%26+9th+St+N,+Minneapolis,+MN+55402&geocode=CdtLWv-4y45MFRpJrgId5bRw-ilnCdsJlDKzUjHcvj3bQYB0QA&gl=us&vpsrc=6&z=17
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 08:21 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Tom Waits CDs are the only ones that I wear out. I'm on my second copy of Rain Dogs, and the last track is already starting to go.

Izzy, why don't you download them to your computer when they are fresh & new and when they get worn out, just burn a new one?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 03:03 am
@JTT,
Such procedures are alien to be, I'll have to get the kid to help me. Also I've only just got this computer, the last one had the CD drawer jammed. I like making excuses, CDs are for the car, I tend to stick youtube on when I'm on the computer. You're right though, that is good advice. Thanks.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 04:22 am
@JTT,
David wrote:
OK. Its very difficult for me to know
what u r already aware of
and what u don 't know.
JTT wrote:
It isn't actually, Dave, IF you thought about it.
That 's a surprize, J.
HOW do u suggest that I be aware of what another person knows????

JTT wrote:
But doesn't it seem to you to be highly illogical to suggest one should exercise care wrt your and you're when you advocate yur?
Your question is falsely premised; I have never used that spelling.
As I have indicated in the past (quite a few times),
my efforts r only of a preliminary nature.
It remains for others to write a comprehensive fonetic dictionary,
in polished form. I do nothing more than show some faster,
easier forms of spelling-- better than the old paradigmatic,
atavistic spelling.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 04:28 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I'm a woman and don't listen to JTT or David on grammar; well, jtt sometimes. . . .
As far as I can remember,
I have not advised u on grammar.

David
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 05:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

HOW do u suggest that I be aware of what another person knows????

You could try reading a book. Your fernettick spellin' is illogical. It's a cross between fernetticks and text. U does not sound like yew, it sounds like ugh.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 05:34 am
@izzythepush,
there's only been one Tom Waits town reference i've never been able to locate, Mayors Income, Tennessee from the song What Is He Building?, off the cd Mule Variations

if it's not a real town it should be
djjd62

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 05:35 am
@sozobe,
most of Tom Waits songs sound like they take place a few blocks from the Greyhound Bus station, that's part of his appeal
izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 05:59 am
@djjd62,
I like the emphasis on 'Raintown' in Frank's Wild Years. I saw Waits play at the now defunct Hammersmith Palais in London. He is a real showman, and does not disappoint.
djjd62

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 06:09 am
@izzythepush,
saw him in the late 80's at Massey Hall in Toronto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massey_Hall

a great venue for seeing such a performer

i also saw Stevie Ray Vaughn there
izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 06:42 am
@djjd62,
That's around the same time I saw him, it may well have been the same tour.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 06:54 am
@izzythepush,
I saw most live bands at this place
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/02/64/026499_8d09d21d.jpg
It's still a major venue for up and coming bands. This is what it looks like inside.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_TqzKeG40jcI/TXINM0Qm5ZI/AAAAAAAAASQ/zXr4DydzRCE/Give_Me_Pink_1.jpg
Tried to find a photo of a band I knew, but I couldn't.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 10:16 am
@djjd62,
Wouldn't it have greater appeal and sound if they took place in the Greyhound stations?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 10:38 am
@Sturgis,
You're thinking of Woodie Guthrie.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 10:47 am
@izzythepush,
Or are you thinking about his time at Greystone?

Or maybe the Greyhound station in Guthrie, Olkahoma?

Or Bob 'The Plagiarist' Dylan trying to be Guthrie by sleeping outside a Greyhound station?

(unless of course there is a Woodie Guthrie, not related to Woody Guthrie and Woodie did play those venues)

izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 12:20 pm
@Sturgis,
So sorry for getting his name wrong, I never realised you were so touchy.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 01:29 pm
I know the timing of this post is extremely late, but my conscience has been bothering me about an exchange ossobuco and I had about a bullying incident involving four high-school boys (pages 4 through 6 of this topic). Decades after the incident occurred, one of the four wrote an online article that described it. Reacting to the copy I had posted, she was not sure that what had happened was actually an instance of bullying. She said the snow face-rubbing may have been a sort of rite of passage. All I said in response to her post was that I was not familiar with such social customs in states that experience sufficient snowfall.

Confession: I wimped out. I was trying to accommodate an online friend (ossobuco) by not contradicting her; and I was also seeking favor in this forum by not being controversial (especially after making an emotional, combative debut here at A2K in the spring of 2009 to my regret).

I have all the respect in the world for ossobuco, but I must point out the following: Bob Bestler (the author of the online article in question) himself says the snow face-rubbing that he and his two friends did was an act of bullying. Yes, I believe that snow face-rubbing could be a form of horseplay or a rite of passage; but Bestler admits his motive was malicious. By breaking out in tears, “Marshall” clearly understood that the snow face-rubbing was intended to humiliate him and put him in his place.

I find the very notion of three strong athletic teenage boys ganging up on a single scrawny one to be particularly despicable, if not cowardly -- certainly an indication of a lack of character. I’ve been pumping iron in a health club for several years now, but I don’t feel the need to bully some guy who’s physically weaker than I. The thought wouldn’t even cross my mind. I’ve cringed even when I’ve accidentally stepped on my wife’s toes.

I'm not objecting to ossobuco's comments regarding face snow-rubbing; I'm objecting to my own weak response. Like I said, I wimped out.
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 06:50 pm
@wmwcjr,
Dont worry about the timing. I'm super late responding too. Laughing

Yea, it kinda sounds like bullying to me, but I guess it depends on if the person is joking about it or just trying to be mean. I wouldn't like it either way but I'm kinda bratty sometimes. I never take jokes like that well. Laughing Mr. Green

Thanks for the post Mr. Bill! Mr. Green Mr. Green Wink