Whats One Thing You Hated About School?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 08:54 pm
@Thomas,
I've been re thinking, but not for that reason - I only wanted him to contact me on the thread or by pm and certainly not me contacting him. Criminy, how nosy do you think I am? I didn't ask for his or her data, Thomas. Good that you're sorry.

More in next post.
Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 08:57 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I only wanted him to contact me by pm and certainly not me, him.

That won't work. He'd be a new user, and new users don't have PM privileges.

And, I didn't say you were nosy. I know you mean well; that's not what this is about. But there's a conflict in telling someone she needs to be more cautious about trusting people, and then to demand she give them access to their parents. Something has to give.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:06 pm
@Thomas,
Yes, they do, last I knew.

You said I might want their information. That is plain out to lunch.

I would like the father to monitor his child's web usage at this point, if only loosely.

That is what I am arguing with myself about - in part re family history of my own, not to do with me. But I'm also a freedom type, thus the arguing with self.

Wanting the father's email - all in your own apparently paranoid mind.

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:07 pm
@Thomas,
Sorry for derailing your thread Gracie. I hope this is the last post I write on the let's-protect-Gracie-from-herself topic.
Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:12 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I would like the father to monitor his child's web usage at this point, if only loosely.

I'm sure that's a decision Gracie's father can make for himself. Gracie may not be of age yet, but he definitely is.
Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:19 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
Yea! I bet if I moved to Spain, I'd know Spanish like the back of my hand!

Well, if you're serious about it, you might want to write to your nearest Spanish consulate about ways of matching you with a Spanish exchange student. I realize your thread is about things we hated about school. But the student exchanges were a definite highlight.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:21 pm
@Thomas,
That isn't news.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:37 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
I guess its OK to be called an idiot
by someone who rejects logic.
JTT wrote:
You just keep mouthing the nonsense, Dave, yet you never provide any proof. Notice that you have never addressed those language issues that you promised, time and again, to attend to.
I thawt u did not want them; lost interest. Did u change your mind??

I 'll be happy to comment on them, if I can find them.
Do u DESIRE that???

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:38 pm
@Thomas,
You blew this all up, Thomas, and then apologized nicely for a possible thread disturbance.

I did not ask for the father's information.
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:45 pm
Hey! Sorry guys, I had a few chores to do and I had to go out for awhile with my sis. But I'm back now! Smile

Thanks Roger and Ossobuco and Thomas!

Ossobuco, I get what you mean and that your trying to help me but my dad doesn't know or care much about able2know and I kinda want to keep it that way. I'm comfortable here. Maybe a little too comfortable, ha!, but I wouldn't be if I knew my dad would read it. Especially my posts about school and my earlier posts about why my mom left and why dads are soo unfair.

Thanks Thomas for sticking up for me and everything but ossobuccs just trying to look out for me, she's a nice lady, even though I think she's a little tough on me sometimes Smile . I get that but I wish you guys wouldn't worry soo much. I'm not a baby.

I don't want my dad to look over my stuff but if it'll make you guys stop nagging and lecturing I'll ask my dad. LOL. I don't even know how to ask him really, without making it sound like I'm in some kind of trouble or I'm doing something wrong.

What do I say? "Hey dad, some people on the internet are worried because they think I give out too much personal information, wanna come check it out?" Yea, that'll go over well. He probaly wouldn't even read it. Just make me delete my a2k account. If that's possible.

Anyway, yea, I probably shouldn't have offered to give you my dads email. That was MY idea Thomas LOL. Sorry I caused a big debate guys.

I have to gett ready for school tomorrow guys. I'm gonna have to sign off in a few minutes. So, Goodnite!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:52 pm
Quote:
Whats One Thing You Hated About School?

English. Nothing else even came close.
Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:53 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I did not ask for the father's information.

That's a fair point. You're right.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 10:27 pm
@Thomas,
And you're right re my magisteriality (new word from me to express your points).

I don't want the father reading all, and know he doesn't want to - but I'd like someone there, getting her back. So, I confuse myself on how to do that. And I certainly don't want to do it for all very young posters, so what's the deal? I worry about Gracie.

I guess I'll just be quiet.

Good idea, she says to self.
roger

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 10:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Probably because you like people who can capitalize and punctuate.
Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 10:34 pm
@ossobuco,
I think you can get Gracie's back yourself by writing sober comments along the lines of "maybe posting information X wasn't so smart", when a post of hers calls for it. It's a good idea that she learn this stuff, but parental supervision as such won't teach her. Especially not if, as Gracie says, her father takes an all-or-nothing approach to these things.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 10:37 pm
@roger,
Well, yeh, but I like the odd rule breaker too: first of all, if it is me, next if it is someone with wit.

But, yes, Gracie can write well, which is an attraction.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 10:39 pm
@Thomas,
I'm softening into agreeing with you.

Don't count on this in the future, you brute.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 11:47 pm

I loved elementary school - in fact I got the award for perfect attendance at the end of sixth grade.
Junior high was pretty good.
High school was just a waiting game really - I was just excited about getting it done, doing a good job and going to college.
Although I do remember (now that I think about it) that I hated chemistry and the way the gym locker room smelled like dirty socks all the time.
I also hated the gym uniforms - for girls it was this one piece thing with green shorts and a green and white striped tank top that zipped up the front. They were hideous and we had gym every day so they rarely felt very clean except on a Monday - it wasn't practical to wash them every single night.
I liked gym though - everything except field hockey, because you always were getting whacked in the shins with sticks.
I liked baseball and basketball and gymnastics and archery. If we'd been able to wear what the boys wore - green shorts and grey and gree t-shirts - I wouldn't have hated it at all.
I liked pretty much everything else about highschool - except waiting for the bus in the freezing winter mornings. But as soon as I got my driver's liscence, my father let me use one of the cars to drive to school.

I have to say I loved all my teachers. The only one I can remember not liking was my chemistry teacher and I think that's because I didn't like chemistry. In and of himself - he was a pretty nice guy- looking back on it now.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:24 am
@aidan,
U were very fortunate to have enjoyed the academic experience.
Regardless of getting good grades, I found it unpleasant
and I took a lot of time off.

I just deemed it a necessary stepping stone
to becoming a lawyer.

David
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 11:04 am
Yeah well, that's life, innit? Doing what you gotta do to get what you want to get...
But I DID like school - so much so in fact that I wanted to spend my adult life in one...of one sort or another.
Sad to say - I like teaching in a prison too - even more than teaching in a school....do you think that means I could spend my life in a prison?
No...the other day it was a really rainy day and I said, 'Oh crap - it's raining,' and one of the inmates said, 'I love when it rains,' to which I replied, 'I hate when it rains - that means I can't really do alot outside,' and he said, 'Exactly - when it rains - you and I are on equal ground - we're both stuck inside.'
I said, 'Not exactly, but I understand the sentiment.'

Maybe that's what school feels like for some people.

Now I'm gonna go outside and mow my lawn.