Whats One Thing You Hated About School?

GracieGirl

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 10:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Whatever, Professor Smarty Pants! I know what Google is, but why search for definitons when I'm on a website with geniuses like you and Sturgis. I'm just using easier resources. Razz Duh! And I'm the idiot? LOL just kidding

Good Night Guys! Its my curfew! I have school tomorrow Smile
ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 10:29 pm
@wmwcjr,
And I'm a native californian, long time CA resident, with some childhood years of living in places that had snow. Have to say that I did enjoy both New York City and Chicago, from my child's eye view. There were customs, besides snow face-rubbing - those were the years I learned about things like bobbing for apples, making caramel apples, toasting marshmallows, ice skating on frozen ponds, making snowmen, coloring easter eggs, playing charades, playing monopoly, having neighborhood "carnivals" (the kids), catching fireflies, going to see fireworks, all kinds of mid century "normal" stuff I'd not run into before, or since... a bit like Norman Rockwell magazine covers. School was just sort of in between all that other stuff. But even in school, one nun taught us all how to play baseball. She was the pitcher.

I think of it as sort of a capsule in time.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 10:33 pm
@GracieGirl,
And good night, Gracie.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 10:46 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
Wow. Well how did you learn? School?

First through immersion in my Davis, CA kindergarten. When I was going on 5 we moved back to Germany, where my mother put me in pre-school English classes and then into a school were children started learning English from third grade on. So American kindergarten taught me English, and German schools helped me not forget it. Then, beginning at age 16, I started making lots of visits to the United States, where I learned through immersion again. I recommend it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 10:51 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
I'd say at least half of all Germans speak English
well enough to carry a conversation.
Do u attribute much of that
to the American occupation ?

David
wmwcjr

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Hi, David. Smile I'm confused. Confused Do I take a boat to get from where to where? You mean to the Houston/Galveston area? I think your best bet would be by plane.

By the way, this is my last post for tonight. That means: to be continued ...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:48 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
Hi, David. Smile I'm confused. Confused Do I take a boat to get from where to where?
You mean to the Houston/Galveston area? I think your best bet would be by plane.

By the way, this is my last post for tonight. That means: to be continued ...
I thawt u might take a nice, restful ferry to Galveston Island.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 03:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Actually, there is no ferry (although I'm sure a ferry ride would be fun Smile ) because the freeway from Houston runs all the way to Galveston over a long bridge or two. It's been so long since the family last visited Galveston that I don't remember exactly. Smile
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 03:18 am
@ossobuco,
My sister now lives in northern California. Their small towns are quite different from the ones I've seen in Texas. Smile
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 04:25 am
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
Actually, there is no ferry (although I'm sure a ferry ride would be fun Smile ) because the freeway from Houston runs all the way to Galveston over a long bridge or two. It's been so long since the family last visited Galveston that I don't remember exactly. Smile
I always enjoyed the ferry ride from Manhattan to Staten Island.

I loved the Star Ferry from Hong Kong to Kowloon.

David
Sturgis

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 04:46 am
@GracieGirl,
That's probably the first (and last) time I've been called a genius around these parts. I'm going to have it printed out and made into a wall mural.
GracieGirl' wrote:
Whatever, Professor Smarty Pants! I know what Google is, but why search for definitons when I'm on a website with geniuses like you and Sturgis. I'm just using easier resources. Duh! And I'm the idiot? LOL just kidding

Good Night Guys! Its my curfew! I have school tomorrow
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 05:01 am
@JTT,
David wrote:
The TEACHER did that, J; I simply AGREED almost 1OO%
concerning the logic of grammar, with very few exceptions.
JTT wrote:
So stipulated, Dave.
You've always been an idiot when it comes to language and how it works.
I guess its OK to be called an idiot
by someone who rejects logic.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 05:09 am
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
I wanna hear the stories hamilton!! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Yep, I skipped a few grades and I have advanced or AP classes. Told ya I was smart. HaHa! Mr. Green Razz

All year school would suck hamilton! And you still wouldnt be done by the time you were 9!
Well said! U shoud join Mensa. Its fun.

David
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 05:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
omsigdavid wrote:
I always enjoyed the ferry ride from Manhattan to Staten Island

Happy rides on the Gold Star Mother and the Mary Murray...I think the boats were painted red back then not the unsightly orange they are now. The wrap around outside deck was nice too.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 05:49 am

It was a special treat to get smacked in the face
with some water, on a windy day.

David
Sturgis

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 06:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That was the main reason to stand at the front, outside on the lower deck. It also helped to get a better view of the rotting wood as the boat entered the slip. The latest class of boats isn't so outdoor friendly as they used to be.

The Staten Island Ferry had the benefit of being a great place to go when living in the city and wanting to ditch school. Never ran into any school authorities (truant officers) there, just other kids ditching school and adults who for whatever reason never reported me.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 10:29 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I guess its OK to be called an idiot
by someone who rejects logic.

You just keep mouthing the nonsense, Dave, yet you never provide any proof. Notice that you have never addressed those language issues that you promised, time and again, to attend to.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 10:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Logic is a tool to be used by man. When a man becomes a slave to logic, he abandons reason.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 11:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Thomas wrote:
I'd say at least half of all Germans speak English
well enough to carry a conversation.
Do u attribute much of that
to the American occupation ?

No, I attribute it to Germany's public school system, which is very decent. By American standards, it's even excellent. The elementary school I took early-English classes in was in the former French occupation zone. The American and British occupation forces wouldn't have been a factor there.
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 05:43 pm
@Thomas,
Oh! Cool! I really, really wish I could learn another language. I just get soo confused sometimes and I have a hard time remembering verb rules and words.