Whats One Thing You Hated About School?

GracieGirl

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 05:20 pm
@saab,
I love math, just not my math teacher! And I would hate it if my dad made me go to a all boys school!

Im sorry! I AM listening to them. How is saying a couple of teachers name too much imformation? Jeez, give me a break will ya? Do you know how huge California is and how many high schools they have? It doesnt matter if I said a few of my teachers names they still wont be able to find my school. And if they did, so what? I dont have any pics up here so they dont know what I look like. There are tons of kids at my school. Besides, Nobody cares enough to look up my school. Why would they? Its not that big a deal. Rolling Eyes Neutral
GracieGirl

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 05:35 pm
@Roberta,
Yea! I dont like people telling me what to do either but grownups love to boss people around because their old and they think they know everything. Rolling Eyes

I like being in advance classes too, kinda, but people bully you. They think your a nerd and I'm smaller than everyone else.

I get bored alot too. American History was actually interesting today though. We watched a video about politics and capitalism and stuff like that. I have it first period so I kinda forgot alot of stuff by now, but the video made Republic sound better than Democratic. It said that the founding fathers wanted America to be a Republic and that Democratic usually turns into Obligarchy (something like that)over time. I thought that was interesting because I think my dads democrat (he voted for Obama), and the video made Democrat seem it leads to chaos. My dad says Republicans are selfish and we need to help the poor. Thats why he's a democrat. I think both Democratic and Republican are kinda confusing because they both sound alot good and a little bad. Know what I mean? Democratic and the other 3 types give government too much control. Americas the best country because it has/had limited government.

Im starting to like American History, I guess I just needed to give it a chance. I learned that Capital means, means for production. And Capitalism is when people use things to make stuff better? Is that right? Anyway, I thought that was cool. Free Enterprise Capitalism is good but there are bad kinds. Oh and Hitler was Anarchy.

I took a practice test in Chemistry. I was soo bored I wanted to shoot myself in the head. HAHA! End my misery! Just kidding Very Happy Mr. Green

American History is my new favorite subject and my teachers awesome. She gave me a homework pass for making good notes! Mr. Green Mr. Green
GracieGirl

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 05:37 pm
@George,
I liked dissection in Biology! We didnt get a chance to actually do it though. We had to do it Virtually. On the computer. It was awesome! Mr. Green Very Happy
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 05:41 pm
@djjd62,
P.E sucks!

My brother got caught with pot last year and my dad went nuts and made him quit the football team! Ha!

Some people I know at my school do it too. I tried it once but I thought I was gonna cough up a lung!! It burns! And it stinks! I'm never doing it again and you shouldn't either! That stuff cant be good for you! Are you in high school too? Everybody's doing it, huh?! My dad doesn't get it. Do your parents know?
GracieGirl

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 05:49 pm
@hamilton,
I wanna hear the stories hamilton!! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Yep, I skipped a few grades and I have advanced or AP classes. Told ya I was smart. HaHa! Mr. Green Razz

All year school would suck hamilton! And you still wouldnt be done by the time you were 9!
Roberta

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 06:00 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

Yea! I dont like people telling me what to do either but grownups love to boss people around because their old and they think they know everything. Rolling Eyes

I like being in advance classes too, kinda, but people bully you. They think your a nerd and I'm smaller than everyone else.

I'm a grown-up, Gracie. I don't like bossing people around (not all grown-ups are old). I don't think I know everything. Blanket statements like this are not the wisest way to make friends.

Another blanket statement. You were bullied, which is terrible. I was never bullied--ever.

One more thing. All smart people aren't nerds, nor are they all considered nerds. Some are; some aren't.

GracieGirl

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 06:07 pm
@Roberta,
Oops! Embarrassed Sorry, I meant 'older'. And I wasnt trying to be bratty or make 'blanket statements'. That was kinda rude. I just kinda type what comes in my head, I didnt think it sounded that bad at the time. And I didnt know you were a grown-up. Well, sorta but not really. I thought you were maybe 17 or 18 or something. Anyway, Im really sorry Roberta. Sad

Oh! And I get bullied, but not physically, just teased and stuff. I know some smart people arent nerds but kids at my school call you a nerd if your smart
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 06:09 pm
@GracieGirl,
the tedium
GracieGirl

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 06:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
tedium? huh?
George

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 08:24 pm
@GracieGirl,
Tedium was David's major.
He's a BS in Tedium.
GracieGirl

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 08:26 pm
@George,
Oh! Ha! Okay, Thanks George! Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 11:38 pm
@GracieGirl,
17 or 18? Had to pick myself up off the floor from laughing. Nice to know I sound youthful. (I'm in my sixties.)

Thanks for the apology.

It's too bad that kids at your school equate smart with nerd. That didn't happen to me. Of course I was in school so long ago that I don't think the word "nerd" existed. Egghead was the term used.
saab

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 03:45 am
@GracieGirl,
My father did not make me go to an all girls´school. There were only three schools to choose between when I finished the fourth class. As far as I remember there were never any discussions about which school I should go to.
We agreed without discussions.

Regarding naming your teacher you don´t like is not very polite in a group or a forum. Somebody might know her. If you have something negative to say about someone - don´t mention their name.

It happens here on A2K that people have questions about "Whom do you like? Who is your favourite or whom don´t you like. I find it very impolite and the beginning of mobbing.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 04:26 am
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
Are you in high school too?

not for many years, 1976-81, we had an optional year when i was younger, high school was grade 9-13 if you were going to university, 9-12 if you were going to college

i chose the full run of high school and then the school of hard knocks Razz
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:13 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
tedium? huh?
I got good grades, but I thought (thawt)
the best part of the school day was the end of it
and the best day of the school year was the last one.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:17 pm
@GracieGirl,
I took a lot of days off in high school.
In college, I arranged my schedule
so that I was in class on Tuesdays n Thursdays.
I had 2 days in class n 5 days off, except for the 1st semester.
(Now, I have 7 days a week off; I retired from professional practice 3 years ago.)

In law school, there were no classes on Fridays,
but I had good attendance in law school. I CARED about that.

David
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:41 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
It's too bad that kids at your school equate smart with nerd. That didn't happen to me. Of course I was in school so long ago that I don't think the word "nerd" existed. Egghead was the term used.

I wonder how many of the modern comforts and conveniences we take for granted, not to mention life-saving breakthroughs in the field of medicine, were made possible by "nerds." So, being a nerd is bad; but being a bully often isn't so big a deal. (Labelling a smart kid as a nerd, a bit of jealousy on the part of some, perhaps?) No wonder it's been said that some of the most anti-intellectual institutions in the U.S. are high schools. (No, I definitely wasn't a nerd in high school, I'm ashamed to say.)
wmwcjr

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I hated high school. I just patiently waited for it to end. Laughing
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:59 pm
@wmwcjr,
Roberta wrote:
wmwcjr wrote:
I wonder how many of the modern comforts and conveniences we take for granted, not to mention life-saving breakthroughs in the field of medicine, were made possible by "nerds." So, being a nerd is bad; but being a bully often isn't so big a deal. (Labelling a smart kid as a nerd, a bit of jealousy on the part of some, perhaps?) No wonder it's been said that some of the most anti-intellectual institutions in the U.S. are high schools. (No, I definitely wasn't a nerd in high school, I'm ashamed to say.)
My experience in school was the OPPOSITE.
The other students LOVED IT when I corrected the teacher
on the facts that he represented to the class. Thay were astonished.
Thay treated it as tho I was representing them in successful prevalence
of youth over adults. I became very popular very fast.

That was fun.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 01:00 pm
@wmwcjr,
Speaking of nerds who had a rough time in high school, here's an interesting online column about one:

http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/10/30/1782016/bullied-is-successful-the-bully.html

Quote:
Saturday, Oct. 30, 2010
Bob Bestler | Bullied victim is successful, the bully still a jock

Hearing recently about so many young deaths that have resulted from bullying took me back to another time when I was involved in a bullying incident.

Sad to report, I was one of the bullies, not the bullied.

I have no idea why we decided to pick on this particular prey, a kind of nerdy classmate I will call Marshall. Maybe he had said or done something we didn't like. Maybe he was the smartest kid in class and we were, like, dumb jocks. Who knows?

Anyway, on a cold Minnesota winter day in our 13th or maybe 14th year, as we left school, three of us chased and tackled our prey, then proceeded to rub snow in his face and down his shirt.

It was, I guess, the meanest thing we could think of doing. It brought tears to his eyes and that was enough for us. Mission accomplished.

It was really a small incident that lasted no more than five minutes, but through all these years, I have not forgotten it.

This may be a reason why:

A few years later, while serving in Japan, I picked up a copy of Stars & Stripes, and there, in a two-page centerfold, were several pictures of 21-year-old Marshall being wined and dined by the U.S. Navy aboard a ship in the South China Sea.

It turned out he had built something called a MARK V Rocket, an 11-foot liquid-fueled missile that he had constructed in his basement back in our hometown.

The rocket was described, according to a Life Magazine article featuring Marshall, as the most sophisticated rocket ever built by an amateur. It had been successfully launched by the Navy at its China Lake test facility.

That same year, 1961, Marshall narrated a half-hour film about studying science in school. The film was introduced by President John F. Kennedy as part of push for space exploration. Yeah, who's crying now?

Marshall worked briefly with the Navy, then with Honeywell Inc. in Minneapolis.

Eventually he formed a high-tech company and received patents for dozens of scientific devices and procedures he invented, things that I could not pronounce, much less describe.

I don't expect that Marshall has totally cut his ties with his hometown, but as far as I can tell he has not attended a class reunion. One year he sent his regrets, saying he was busy with his company.

I sure hope he's not worried about the three bullies. While he was off doing great things for mankind, all we were doing was turning into even dumber old ex-jocks. So it goes.