House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

Gargamel

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:11 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

The most detail I've seen so far here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/us/politics/09giffords.html

It seems to indicate that she was the target (for whatever reason), rather than being caught in a more random shooting incident.

Wow. So another creep had attempted this **** in 2009.

Tuscon sounds like a lovely place. To build a giant ******* wall around.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:13 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
It seems to indicate that she was the target

This is what I fear, but I remain - waiting! <sigh>
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:16 pm
What Edgar said.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:17 pm
@Setanta,
http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/sarahpac_0.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:18 pm
At CNN's website, they quote a University Medical Center spokesman as saying that she is undergoing surgery. That site also reports that a federal judge was also shot in the incident.

They also quote the new Speaker of the House:

Quote:
House Speaker John Boehner said he was "horrified" by the shooting.

"An attack on one who serves is an attack on all who serve," he said. "Acts and threats of violence against public officials have no place in our society."
Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:20 pm
CNN reports that as of 20 minutes ago, she was undergoing surgery.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:21 pm
@Setanta,
But, did Boehner cry. If it is something he really cares about, he crys. He is an emotional man! I am still trying to get a read on this person, and it appears this is one way to look into his soul. This is trully one of those moments that matter.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:22 pm
Sullivan says she's been pronounced dead. No source yet and none of the sources I've been checking (CNN, NYT, NPR) say that.
Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:28 pm
KGUN, which CNN lists as a Tucson affiliate, reports as of five minutes ago that she was undergoing surgery. Therre is to be a news conference as the University Medical Center at 1:30 p.m. local, which is right now.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:34 pm
CNN was speaking to an official in Tucson who states that 18 people were shot.
JPB

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:35 pm
I'll wait until the offender is interviewed and a statement made on his motives before getting angry but, regardless of his politics, this is a very sad day in America.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:35 pm
@Setanta,
18!
Irishk

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:36 pm
@sozobe,
Weird. I'm getting email blasts from CNN saying she's alive... in surgery. Maybe they're waiting for family notification?
sozobe

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:39 pm
@Irishk,
I wrote to Sullivan asking for a source re: "pronounced dead." Everyone else says she's in surgery.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:39 pm
@sozobe,
Several sites had reports from people in the area saying they had heard "15 or 20" gunshots.
sozobe

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:40 pm
@Setanta,
Yep. The early reports were of 12 injuries, though, so I thought that the other shots just didn't hit anyone.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:41 pm
CNN has just reported that the Pima County Sherrif's Department reports 18 people shot, with six people confirmed dead.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:41 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Sarah Palin's political action committee--SarahPAC--has published a list of Democratic politicians to be "put in gun sights" for the next election. Miss Gifford was on her list.

Palin's gun sight list, at the Huffington Post.

I'm not for a moment suggsting that Miss Palin is behind this. Certainly, though, no one would ever accuse Miss Palin of good taste, or good sense. This will be a very unfortunate coincidence for Miss Palin.

I suggest, as you know, that people who publish this kind of rabble rousing bullshit... including Ms. Palin , who has voluntarily taken on the mantle of leadership of the far right...IS partially responsible.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
At least 10 other people, including members of her staff...

I think you can rule out political differences as a motive.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:43 pm
I'd bet all my social security for the rest of my life that high level conversations within the NRA are taking place right now to figure out how to spin this. Pity, just a pity.
0 Replies