Why are we so emotional when we reply to threads?

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:43 pm
Many of us seem to be very emotional when we discuss a topic.
Knowing that emotions hinder clear thinking why do we continue to act out emotional in academic discussions that we are trying to learn and share points of views about?

JPB

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:53 pm
@reasoning logic,
Are you suggesting that these "many of us" are the same folks?

"Many of us seem to be very emotional while knowing that emotions hinder clear thinking" is a different sentiment than "Many of us seem to be very emotional while many others of us know that emotions hinder clear thinking".

My answer in either case is that we're only human.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:22 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Many of us seem to be very emotional

one of the joys of the internet

there's no way for you to know whether the poster is "emotional" or what that emotion might be

The poster I live with laughs a lot when he posts. He's expressing something but it's not what most readers 'seem' to think.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:50 pm
When posters tend to make me emotional, in the way you mean, I put them on ignore. Best for me, best for them.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:11 pm
Many of us have made an "emotional investment" in certain causes and political positions and to have argue them or to be ridiculed for having them or to see our projects ridiculed can hurt.

I also agree with Beth, however, and, sometimes. a post might seem angry but the poster is snickering in his/her den or office, laughing at the world.
djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:20 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I also agree with Beth, however, and, sometimes. a post might seem angry but the poster is snickering in his/her den or office, laughing at the world.

Shocked
who would ever do something like that
Wink
plainoldme

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:31 pm
@djjd62,
I dunno know! Embarrassed
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:02 pm
@reasoning logic,
Ok I see all of your points I guess that maybe I should be more emotional.
The only reason I try to reframe from it is because I do not want to have a flooded emotional discucion that is without rational reasoning. Maybe I am being impractical.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:09 pm
@reasoning logic,
I don't think you are being impractical, probably a bit binary. There is a wide spectrum of subjects, members, cultures and reasons for posting at A2K. Not every topic or post in a topic is going to fit in that binary view of the forum.
Reyn

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:43 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Why are we so emotional when we reply to threads?

I think you're over-generalizing here. Besides, it depends on the topic of the thread. Sure, if it involves politics or religion, there may be some heated arguments / debates going on.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you Butrflynet for your reply
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:02 pm
I'll just add that...

Some of us have "known" each other for going on ten years via this, and the previous Abuzz forum where we initially met on the net. Some of us have talked to each other here way more than we have talked to real life friends and family. We've shared virtual beer, Nutella, and a variety of other goodies. One day we will share, perhaps, a grilled cheese sammich, if the line ever gets there.

This isn't just a place to learn and think. This isn't a classroom for many of us. It is our living room and kitchen table. Therefore, we are (or, at least I am) more comfortable sharing thoughts and reactions on an emotional level. I am not afraid to do so because I know I am amongst friends.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:06 pm
@squinney,
Thank you Squinney
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:14 pm
@reasoning logic,
Like ehbeth said, it is sometimes hard to determine whether a poster is actually being emotional. Without the use of facial expressions and inflection, we must rely solely on the written word to determine the context of a post.

Sometimes, we become frustrated because someone we are attempting to have a discussion with doesn't seem to understand what we mean. We, in turn, don't really understand what they mean and another poster may come in and not understand either and post something that they take afront to.

Soon, the otherwise peaceful and academic forum room turns into the OK Corral or the old west saloon. The gloves come off and anybody in the way gets it.

Many, I suspect, are misread and are viewed in a particular way that they would never be viewed if people spoke to them in real life. That is another thing. The anonymity of a forum with made up monikers opens people to act in ways they may not do in real life. Something like drivers who become all powerful in the safety of the vehicle of which they find themselve behind the wheel of.

Some may be like drive-by shooters who make a single comment that causes emotion in someone. There are some threads that are, apparently, started with the intention to incite and the author doesn't really care about the opinions of those who reply. There is one poster in particular who does this. The threads generally progress from simple dialogue to heated and nasty comments and innuendos. I hven't seen many who are beyond this.

A2K is going through a transistion of sorts right now and the "emotion" seems, at least to me, to be at an all time high. This too will die down.

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:21 pm
@Intrepid,
yeah, all that and there are some lunatics on board that go ballistic when anyone disagrees with them.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:26 pm
@squinney,
Yes, Squinney, very true.
I still do learn, it happens. But the living room and kitchen table thing is indeed true for some of us. We were all new, and brand new people come in, ever happening, part of the fabric. We are from many places.

A friend of mine, a therapist, tends to argue emotionally, and defends arguing emotionally. I roll my eyes. But, I argue emotionally, with a life of observation behind me. Part of my fascination with a2k is with those who argue extremely well.

But also for that kitchen table.

Squinney, you brat, you're talking about my dress.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:32 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

yeah, all that and there are some lunatics on board that go ballistic when anyone disagrees with them.

You talkin to me?

You must be talkin to me.

I don't see no other Intrepid here!
Razz

How ya doin, Dys? Cool
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:32 pm
I just would like to thank all of you guys and girls for your replies. I am studying the brain and how it works and all of your replies are helpful.
Not that I understand how the brain works, but if any of you do would you please let me know? Thanks Reasoning Self Logic
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:33 pm
@reasoning logic,
Ok, logic doesn't rule.

Except once in a while.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
So, what are you studying/researching?